Kids playing airsoft.

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Nothing wrong with it!

It's a stereotypical thing to say "Oh, it's a young kid, he's automatically annoying". Yes, some kids are annoying and a pain, but then some aren't. I myself am a 'kid', but then what do you guys class as 'kid'.

I think it is wrong, (and probably most of you do) to treat kids like dirt. As some of them are mature.mlike myself, I'd say I'm reasonably mature, and I've seen kids who are very immature. You could say most kids will be annoying/stupid etc etc, but have some faith in who aren't?.

Lots of people, of my age aren't immature, and we play the game in a way that we don't agrivate others, and try to have fun, after all, airsoft is played with toy guns... It's made for enjoyment. I just disagree with any adult who thinks of young juniors as annoying prats.

My last game, I had someone who was taking the piss out of me after one of the rounds, I was fuming! People got to change...

My 13 year old son plays atleast once a month an he is betta than most of the men. And never cheat calls, always takes hits and often take hit wen I should really have been 50/50. Not all kids are tossers. Problem is some people don't like bein shown up by some one half there age.

• Supporters

I wouldn't mind being a young player as opposed to an old unfit fart that discovered airsoft late in life

Same as 2-Toner's - couldn't really give a crap if ya 13 or 30

If you play maturely and not a dick then anybody is welcome to play toy guns with moi

Think I'm one of the most immature players tbh

(Missus has always said I'm immature)

Play fair, safe, maybe semi mature if we run around woods dressed up with toy guns pew pew pewwww

It's funny because us kiddies aren't old, fat and sad like most of the average players so we can actually "push up" or "rush" instead of waddling towards the enemy. :P

Jokes aside, the attitude towards (most) kids playing up here in Scotland seems ok but sometimes (specifically online *cough* Zero in *cough*) the attitude towards kids is terrible and seriously needs to change considering it's putting off a lot of younger players but they don't realise that once their generation is gone we're the ones who are going to have the ultimate control over wether the sport dies or not.

• Supporters

Well, to most of you old geezers, I am a kid. And as I've been playing for several years (started at age 12, first game at 14), so I've been on both sides. I feel that younger people playing is completely acceptable. The issue is that kids, more often than adults, is that they believe they are great. Hence the nickname "cod softer". You also get the "mama's boy" who will bitch at everything as he is spoilt, and God forbid he is hit, or the whining will commence. Then there is the "favorite grandchild" (unfortunate for me, as I'm in Florida, the "retirement state"...). These kids are the ones who gets their rich grandfather to buy them the most expensive stuff (worst I've seen is a 12 yo with a post-k£ polestar and custom fitted AATACS, he was bragging it cost over £3k in total... )

But then you get the good ones. Kids who understand that others can know more than them, and who want to learn. I know many kids like this, and I sometimes find the most be more fun to play with. They love running around and being more mobile than some of us, and they are always happy.

So in conclusion: kids get a lot of s*** for being kids. And a lot of them don't help this stereotype. Just like how there are bad older airsofters, there are bad kids as well. So I say give them a chance, and hope for the best :)

Yes, completely agree. All I play with is my gun, and some cheapo camo type clothing, trousers and shirt costing like 35 pound.. And a balaclava I found in a box... Kids at my age who have polar star weapons, and richo stuff should keep their voice quiet about how lucky they are to have this kind of gear, instead of going about yelling "LOOK AT ME, I AM GOD WITH MY P* AND MY FANCY PANTS GEAR"

• Root Admin

Playing with toys guns is for kids. The issue should be, should all us old farts grow up and leave you to it.

This.

Airsoft is a hobby like any other, and just like in any hobby you get some people who take it too seriously and some that don't take it seriously enough (i.e. cheating). Either group can ruin a day, but pick the right site and keep your fingers crossed that the ratio of idiots:players is good.

And I will say it's not exclusive to any age group; there are equally dickish holder and younger people alike, but people tend to notice it more when kids do it I've found.

• Head Moderator

To take a position as Devil's advocate - anyone under 18 is a child. Children should have their own game time (and date) separate from adults only skirmishes. Let there be family time where children can play with parents, older siblings, and friends. Maturity is subjective, stereotypically every child thinks that they are more mature than they really are. Whilst men will remain immature forever, you need to draw a line somewhere and 18 is the point where you can vote and drink. Based on apprentice soldiers I would say 16 is the youngest age for an adult skirmish. Children are more prone to being sensitive and not as emotionally tough, so they cannot deal with piss taking or listen to advice, and may well misread the situation. Adults just want to play airsoft without dealing with tears and tantrums.

Yes, we as a hobby need to encourage new members and instil in them a sense of sportsmanship. Adults can be arseholes but airsoft is a cross section of society and nothing to stop chavs and cheaters from playing. I do not condone treating children, or any other player badly. However, there is also the fact that children themselves can be rude and lack respect for anyone else regardless of age. To date I have never seen any problems with children attending a skirmish, although have not seen many. Recently had a father and young son playing together and no issues, for me the worse aspect was feeling guilty when I shot the boy at close range (whereas shooting an adult would not bother me, but that could just be conditioning not to hit women and children).

At the end of the day, play to your best, take your hits, and have fun. Then post on the forum all your funny moments, gripes, and any other random crap that is in your head. :)

Well im slightly on the crusty side of things now aged at 33. I have no problems with kids in airsoft and will encourage mine when they are a bit older. My only issue is that kids should be taught to treat airsoft Guns with respect and act responsibly, no different than handling real firearms.

I must say I once witnessed a really awesome example of airsofters when I was new to it. A young lad maybe 14 was dropped off by his parents and sat in the safe zone alone looking very intimidated. I was about to invite him to join me and my mate when some of the experienced regulars stepped in. He spent the whole day with lads and went home with the biggest grin! It was awesome to see and they represented the sport so well. It really stuck with me as these lads where only 18 ish themselves and clearly didn't have do it. No kid is the same and in my opinion if they act maturely and play in the spirit then they are more than welcome. Plus they can do the running il provide cover fire from my seated position.

Plus they can do the running il provide cover fire from my seated position.

brilliant.

My son got me into Airsoft & we always go together as a father/son day out. my son has been playing for a while now & is about to turn 13.

He has racked up just as many kills as me & I see him as an equal in a player sense.

We have been at days where kids show up who are the same age as my son & we have watched and laughed as we see them cheat their way through games (the same as some of the Gucci wearing kit-perverts) some kids will be kids but that's people for you they are all different and I never judge anyone until I know them, we cant always generalise.

I often get asked by other players "What do we do with your young one? can we shoot him or do we go easy?" my response is always the same "If you get a chance to shoot him, take it, he wont hesitate shooting you" my son has been lit up loads of times now (Even taking a close up hit to his forehead which bled a fair bit) but he takes his shots like a trooper.

Kids are the future of the pass time and should be encouraged to play in my mind. In January I'm taking a few of my sons school friends as they are desperate to start playing, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do & watch that grin when they get into their first fire fight.

Airsoft is a game played by people who are (at the root of it) big kids, its all fun and no one should be unwelcome.

Its all about the people playing no matter what there age is!. I bet the so called kids say the same about the 50+ old men turning up in full combats 5 different guns. My boy is 15 and been going for about a 1year he takes his shots and sometimes comes home with a peppered body of welps he don't moan and plays the game .

Like others have stated repeat is best and if a whipper snapper flanks you and shoot ya take it like a man. Same said to the young guns make it more fun.

Play fair take your hits otherwise go back to paint balling where your hits can be seen.

Like all hobbies if we don't have a younger up take it will die out as i've not seen any site accommodating zimmer frames :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.