Eye protection

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I'm into this sniper loadout.

It's a very majestic loadout so far. Consisting of a gun, and a bush hat. With some clothes.

I'm not for vests and stuff, simply because it costs me money, and I'm only 14, meaning I have little cash. They are useful, but, I got pockets, that's where I keep my mags. It may take me a whole minute to replace a mag, but it's cool.

Anyways, I figured I needed some glasses, not the goggle type, I'm looking for some glasses. For sniper reasons. So I'm going to pop down to screwfix - well known airsofting store - and find some glasses that I can use. I don't particularly want to buy some online, as you have to wait (I have no patience). Is there some sort of license that these glasses have meaning they're ballistic proof, do they have a grading system? Basically, how will I know what glasses to pick when I pop down to screwfix?

Thanks guys.

• Head Moderator

Try using the search function on 'glasses' and 'ballistic' and 'EN166'. Then do some Google research.

I was looking at cheap glasses from Screwfix and similar and personally do not think they are the best option regarding safety but you have to make your own choice on risk and cost.

Ok I'll google those things, thanks. I have made some searches on the forum, under "screwfix" and "glasses" but, not anything that'd told me what to do, but has helped though.

They're relatively cheap, I can just buy them, for like 5 quid or so and just shoot the, at point blank.. Anyways. Thanks for the info maybe buying off an actual airsoft dealer is best.

Thanks!

• Root Admin

Just don't risk your eyesight. Speak to your parents if you have to - I'm sure they'd lend a helping hand money-wise if you explain the situation and how this could have a serious impact on your health if not done properly. Properly rated ballistics glasses are quite cheap anyway if you go with reliable brands.

Also if you're 14 most sites will need you to wear full-seal eye protection as well as face protection. Check that foremost.

What's wrong with V12s, for example? Still low-profile enough to get good eye relief but also very cheap, swappable lenses and incredibly tough.

A lot of airsoft is about looks, but you should draw the line at your safety.

I know, eye sight is very important. When I first got into airsoft, dad was constantly questioning me, and telling me to never take my glasses off (of course). It is very important, I'd never take them off...

Good point on full mask wear. I remember the guy talking about it.

Are these the things you're talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESS-Advancer-Goggles-Brand-NEW/dp/B00EZPCE8M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449103339&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Ess+v12+glasses

Tbh, will those goggles be fine for sniping? Any experience? Seem a few people use those goggles for sniping. Might just stick with them... Or get those glasses?

Those glasses - I've seen a lot of talk about them (hinting they're popular and good)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• Root Admin

The only issue I can foresee with looking down any optic when lying down is that you do not always have your face fully parallel to the scope as you tend to when standing up. What I mean is that you may end up looking up very slightly to look down the scope when prone and the rims of the glasses could potentially obscure your view, but I just can't see this happening with the V12s anyway as I've used them without a hitch on many occasions (though I'm not a l33t snip3r).

They're good goggles, yeh. A lot of people run them because a great deal of surplus ones entered the UK market when the military started using them and now their price just seems to have stuck pretty low. Scan eBay and you may find a set even cheaper than that. ESS are a very reputable brand and they're very rugged.

I know Bolle do cheap full-seal glasses that look even less like goggles, and people like Oakley do the helo kit for some of their glasses that make them full seal eyepro.

Again, I'd stay away from glasses. Subjectively I think they're dangerous things to have in airsoft and would never recommend anything but a full seal, though of course recognise that's the decision of the player as it's their eyesight. In your case though, you're under age so the site owner is more liable for your safety. I can't see any site allowing you shooting glasses, but ask first to be sure.

Yeah. Probably saved me big time. Didn't have a thought in my head about these full seal glasses.. Thanks.. I'll have a look about on ebay for some. I see your point on the scope situation, well, there's probably always going to be a problem. Just got to prepare for it.

Do these ESS v12 glasses with a lower face mask count as full protection? I guess the goggles I wear cover some of my forehead, and just a general larger area covered compared to glasses. But would those v12s with lower mesh thing count as full cover. I'd be wearing a balaclava and a hat anyways...

Thanks for the help, saved me big time.

• Root Admin

I can check for you if you wait until tomorrow as to whether the scope thing will be an issue. I really don't think it will be.

Yeh, so long as your mouth and eyes are fully covered (and generally the eyes must be full seal) then you're fine.

It's cool. With full seal, comes a fogging issue (I think). If I just slice a slit In the seal, cold air should be able to ventilate, reducing the fog. Or, just breath out my nose. I shouldn't be heavy breathing anyway, since I'd be sniping... So these glasses can withstand a fair bit of force?

Thanks, it's quite late, (presuming you're in england) I hope I'm not keeping anyone up..

• Root Admin

Take the foam out of the top and bottoms of the goggles and use a decent anti-fog. If you get perspiration around your eyes then mop it up between games if they're short, but like you say you shouldn't be running too much but you might be moving quite a lot. I 'unno.

• Supporters

Ok I'll google those things, thanks. I have made some searches on the forum, under "screwfix" and "glasses" but, not anything that'd told me what to do, but has helped though.

They're relatively cheap, I can just buy them, for like 5 quid or so and just shoot the, at point blank.. Anyways. Thanks for the info maybe buying off an actual airsoft dealer is best.

Thanks!

That's a terrible idea, shooting a pair of safety glasses at point blank is NOT a suitable test to see if they'll hold up under all conditions, on top of that shooting them once will weaken the lens... unless you buy a few pairs and keep shooting them until they break to do a proper test you're gambling big time.

Safety glasses for working with power tools and the like are NOT ballistic rated, while in 99% of cases they're entirely strong enough to stop a BB the recognised minimum standard for airsoft eyepro is BS EN 166F.

If it is rated, then it will have a 166f stamp somewhere on the product

Bear in mind 166f is technically not enough for airsoft, as a 350fps 0.2g BB has more energy than the test. 166b (available only to goggles) is plenty however

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.