First Side Arm Advice

MrPondlife

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After reading a post on here about pistols (and thanks to Santa possibly coming early) I'm looking to get my first pistol.

I'd like extra mags and a holster too (potentially drop leg rather than straight on the belt).

I like this one http://www.taiwangun.com/en/gas-guns/r17-black-army?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Whats peoples opinion? Am I right in thinking TM mags will fit it and whats the recommended site/shop to get them at a reasonable price?

What gas would people recommend and does it have to use .20mm bbs? Can you use .25s?

I also like this one http://www.taiwangun.com/en/gas-guns/mk23-heavy-weight-gas-pistol-stti?from=listing&campaign-id=19

And same again, what mags fit it please?

What holsters would be recommended for them both as well?

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

I don't know about those particular guns, but here's what I know:

TM are the daddy of airsoft, many manufacturers actually clone what TM design because of its good design, making them the standard for others to meet. To this end, chances are, those guns are TM clones, and TM mags should fit (don't take my word though)

Gas is usually simple enough, if the gun has a plastic/nylon/fibre slide (tm guns for example), use nothing more powerful than green gas (if it's in a green can, you're probably fine). Some people tone it down to 144a, a low power gas in summer to prevent the higher temperature, and therefore higherv power, damaging the slide. Of it has a metal slide (like WE guns for example), you can use whatever you want. I personally use propane because it's cheap and I go through a lot using a gas blowback rifle, but everyone has different experiences.

BB weight: you can use whatever you want. My pistol certainly struggles with heavy ammo in the hop up department, it wil just about lift a 0.25 but not a 0.30. I wouldn't worry about 25s, as almost all guns will lift them with no modification. You may not need heavier ammo though, depending on your play style. If like me you only use your sidearm in confined spaces, range doesn't matter, and the heavier ammo travels slower, so sometimes a lighter BB is best (like trying to hit a moving target at close range)

In terms of holsters, I have only ever used a Blackhawk serpa holster, which is accessible incredibly fast and easy. When it was mounted on my chest I could draw the pistol whilst sprinting, not sure how easy that is with a fabric holster.

Depending on how much you have to spend, i would buy a WE pistol. They are reasonably priced, metal slide, and quite reliable (now lol) parts and upgrades are very available for all types and the mags hold a huge amount of gas imo, i can almost get two mags out of one fill!

As above i had a tm and a we and i sold the tm and kept the we. Good out the box gun for reasonable money. I shoot .25's with ease on mine.

Thanks all for the advice.

I'm now (subject to having a test) getting a WE XMD compact from a friend with holster and 4 mags.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/we-xdm-compact-3-8-gbb-pistol-tan.html#.Vl1p0pePyDU

He's looked after it and all looks good. I'll be testing on Sunday at my local site :)

Thanks all once again.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.