Technical Help

Kibbz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Afternoon all,

I've lurked around here for about the last year picking up tips for teching my own RIF's but I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall and could use a little help!

Now this could be a really stupid and simple to answer question but searching here and Google didn't turn up any answers, to save wasting money I thought it best to ask if any of you knowledgeable folks have any experience with fitting an Ares V2 gearbox into any other standard metal body M4?

I'm in a situation where I could build something myself but don't have much free time at the moment so it would be a bit of a drawn out process or I have the opportunity to pick up an Ares gearbox for a decent price and just drop it straight in which would save me a bunch of time and hassle.

The RIF I'm looking to transplant this into is a G&P - 072 if this makes any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

K

• Supporters

how cheap is cheap ???

not being funny but think that would be way down on my last to fit an Ares box into a G&P

I'd sooner go with a JG, Cyma (well maybe) or a G&G v2 box. followed by others - even a QD one like APS

yes you can pay £100+ for a box but think a decent box could be had for £50 new

the important thing is using a little bit of care when fitting any box, often some minor checks/mods may be required

as alas not everything in aeg's are 101% fully TM compatible

So a little time or getting a techy mofo to give it all the one over is a very wise consideration

If you're ever preparing to do something like this, you should be prepared to modify parts, if you don't already have a dremel and some simple tools to make things fit where they don't want to, you ought to get one.

I'd personally just buy an AEG and play with it later. I have no idea how easy it is to fit other box shells in other guns

Thanks for the solid advice guys,

Sitting Duck - I've also heard some good and bad things about the Ares gearboxes however I have a couple of friends that have some of the newer RIF's that have the Gen3 V2 gearboox with the EFCS and they've run really well over the last year and a half which bodes well. One of the things that the G&P needs is a Mosfet so I can run it on some 9.9v LiFe batteries so getting a complete Ares gearbox solves this due to it having the EFCS built into the trigger section of the case. Another draw as the micro switch is really snappy on them (although I know this can be a bone of contention) which would be gained from going this route.

Completely built I can get one brand new for just £75 delivered which seems like a decent price on an item like this that normally goes for around £100. Adding up a custom built gearbox with shell and all internals adds up quickly and will take up a bit of time building.

I could keep the original shell and upgrade the internals, it could do with a new cylinder head, piston and piston head, and then an AB Mosfet as well as a rewire. All in all, that's going to come in more expensive than buying a complete Ares gearbox. Although it does mean that this would make a pretty nice project to work on over a number of months as I guess it doesn't hurt to have a spare.

TheGrover - I'm fully prepared to do a little work if needed and have the Dremmel on standby but hopefully it won't be too far off with fitment.

I'm a little rusty on my Asian languages but I managed to turn this up on some searches this morning so it does look like it's possible to fit but then there's no telling if the guy is listing off a plethora of modifications he had to make to get the sucker in there!

On another note, does anyone have any recommendations on a decent motor? I play semi auto on an M90 to M100 spring so no real need for anything that's going to be able to pull an Ox or provide an insane RPS.

Thanks again,

K

• Supporters

it'd be a whole load easier to just get a decent programmable MOSFET like a BTC Spectre/Chimera and fit it to the gearbox you already have, that'd give you loads more options than the ARES box which may or may not; fit the receiver, line up with hop up-unit, accept non-ares grips (the grip on a V2 gun screws directly into the gearbox to act as motor cage), have suitable guage wiring to go through the holes in the buffer tube...

So many potential problems created to 'fix' a small problem when you can have everything you need by replacing one part in your existing gearbox.

Thanks jcheeseright,

After having a look at the BTC Mosfets, they do look pretty nice and you're right, they would certainly do the job and allow me to keep the original gearbox and evade any fitment issues.

Do you have any reputable sources you would recommend to buy from? After a bit of a search it seems like most places are either out of stock or charging way above the standard.

Cheers,

K

• Supporters

BTCairsoft.com - get them direct from the supplier and they're relatively cheap, shipping from the US is also cheap and very quick, haven't ever had one stopped by customs either.

They're likely out of stock at the moment, put yourself on the mailing list for when they come back in and it'll email you as soon as they're available again.

Thanks jcheeseright,

Details added so hopefully they come back in stock soon!

I guess if I'm going to go this route I may as well upgrade the piston, piston head, cylinder head and motor. Do you have any opinions on what I should be looking for if I'm looking for a standard ROF, sturdy and quiet?

Thanks again,

K

• Supporters

my view on this is to always stick with stock parts until they break (IF they break, which may be many many years from now), if you're after reliability then sticking with the bits that G&P put together is the way forward. I certainly wouldn't bother with the motor, the BTC Spectre allows you to 'pre-cock' the gun, allowing for near instantaneous trigger response regardless of the motor's strength.

Thanks jcheeseright,

After having a look at the BTC Mosfets, they do look pretty nice and you're right, they would certainly do the job and allow me to keep the original gearbox and evade any fitment issues.

Do you have any reputable sources you would recommend to buy from? After a bit of a search it seems like most places are either out of stock or charging way above the standard.

Cheers,

K

Ones just popped up on Zin

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?266131-BTC-Spectre-version-2-brand-new

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.