What have you just 3d printed (for airsoft)

sp00n

• Supporters

epic, that is pretty cool dude. How long to print one at the lower height? and how much would it cost?

3B6B5BD1-0ABF-42AB-8817-C4891F5E3FAF_zps

its kinda hard too see but the base of the ris is only 7mm clear of the foresight.

i could thin the ris off abit, but that may make it weak :unsure: (i am not a full time design engineer)

Guest PT247

something abit like this

low%20raise%20mk23%20rail_zpsi3liupjl.jp

this was the one I meant :-) ....... but would you be able to bring the top rail back to the middle of the gun?

Guest PT247

would you be able to bring it back about 2cm and give it a full length rail stopping at the rear sight bump in the upper receiver?

How do the rounds feed through that mag adapter? Is the hole drilled or just printed with that there? You don't happen to have an x-ray view of the design?

I been working on aligning two feed points and I'm unsure on what radius to give to prevent a jam

• Supporters

You don't happen to have an x-ray view of the design?

Here you'll find the cross section too.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:620955

That's the original. My fixed version is this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1420730

You can put quite sharp curves in the BB path. Check a 30bb shotgun shell for example. As long as the curve is smooth, you're fine.

Guest PT247

My 3D printed bolt just arrived, others have had mega issues but I think it was due to them buying the lower quality non polished versions, mine just needed the holes drilling out and lubing up and seems so far pretty much perfect. Has quietened the gun a bit (although that might be in my head) and is much snappier now. I'll have to see how much better it is on gas usage but hoping it'll help with efficiency.

MK23 lower rail adapters (still a work in progress)

just printing what i hope to be the final version...

Would you consider printing these to order, Sp00n?

I've been looking around for a decent RIS mount for my SOCOM for a while.

I'd happily pay (within reason of course!) for one of these?

• Supporters

I use PTC Creo elements to design. This is not a parametric CAD but maybe that's why it is really-really easy to use and has the most features from the free softwares I tried. And I tried them all. :) The only downside is that it can't import/export common CAD formats, but it can export to stl.

i tried that software last night, but i cannot get it to import .stl files :(

• Supporters

i tried that software last night, but i cannot get it to import .stl files :(

It can't. Stl are mesh formats. It has 3d points and triangles to define the shape. CAD formats are different and can't be created from meshes. For example you create an arch instead of a sharp corner, CAD knows it's an arch and you can change the radius later or just delete the arch and it will give you the sharp corner. In a mesh an arch is just a series of lines, the software doesn't know about any radiuses, etc. CAD software can export to stl meshes. They then approximate the object with 3d points and triangles.

You can manipulate meshes in sketchup or meshmixer for example.

Many CADs can import meshes and display them in 3d but they can't modify them with their usual tools. Then you can design your cad object using the mesh as reference.

• Supporters

:(

Much as I like tinkercad for its simplicity, I do think I need to be using something more powerful now. But something that I can edit my existing designs etc

• Supporters

Ever wondered what a PSO-1 would look like on a VSR??? well wonder no more!

e2edcf36-0c29-4ee2-8e6f-2d9abf768904_zps

33a3cd29-e0ee-4662-8aba-55dd8bc87e72_zps

with the brand new UG1Y design adapter you need worry no more! :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PT247

generally speaking 3D prints can't really print a thread, the plastic is soft enough to cut a thread into it though by gently screwing it on. If you like that type of thing in your link (as do I) what about the Silverback SRS flash hider/thread protector from the 16" SRS:

http://www.bunnyworkshop.com.hk/airsoft/Silverback---14mm-negative-thread-protection?keyword=silverback

I like it so much I bought 2, one for each of my Krytacs! :-)

• Supporters

Printing the thread is impossible with my 3D printer :(

It could be printed then drilled and tapped, but I do not possess the correct 14mm tap (and I am unsure if it's a fine or super fine thread atm)

But like you have said It could be glued in place, all I would need is a basic drawing (length, diameter, is the hole bigger on side etc etc)

Edit PT beat me too it lol

• Supporters

I have printed flash hiders with 14 ccw threads on my prusa i3. The only complication is that you have to adjust to your printer and slicer.

Could this be 3d printed and glued to a threaded cylinder?

Or alternatively, I'll buy a thread protector.

What do you need exactly? Probably I can help.

I have printed flash hiders with 14 ccw threads on my prusa i3. The only complication is that you have to adjust to your printer and slicer.

What do you need exactly? Probably I can help.

Well, objectively speaking I don't need anything. But I wouldn't mind a custom flash hider which is basically a solid cylinder with three smaller cylinders bored into it. The solid cylinder fits inside the RIS(not further than 2 cm behind the threads), the first bore is wide enough for the outer barrel, the 2nd is threaded (or contains metal threads glued in) and the third is to take the BB.

Effectively making the gun end 5mm after the inter barrel, which itself ends 1mm after the threaded outer barrel, which sits 1cm past the RIS. Tapering the end pointing towards the receiver would be nice too.

This is a description, not a design.