Can we have shorter character length search?

Jedi_Master

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

I just used the search function because I can ;) However, I do find that the current 4 character minimum limit is not helpful enough. So is it possible to have the minimum character length set to 3 instead?

• Head Moderator

But if we get the 3 character search, then HPA will be more easily found ;).

Of course I fully support HPA having its own area. Maybe you should start a new thread for having the HPA sub forum because when you tried searching for it, could not find any threads :)

But if we get the 3 character search, then HPA will be more easily found ;).

Hijacking another sub would have more success :P

I've PM'd Devastator 3 times (trying to ensure tht when he does appear he doesnt miss at least one pm, figure the more in his inbox the more chance of a read) but i still doubt it will be sorted this month.

• 1 month later...
  • Head Moderator

bump

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

Thanks Nutster. Using a wildcard, so 20th Century. Simple and it works :)

Edit: As Proffrink has pointed out, this still does not allow a 3 character search :(

Edited by Jedi_Master

• Supporters

You add the asterisk to make the term up to 4 characters, always seems to work for me?

• Root Admin

Yeh, but the issue isn't looking for 4-letter terms, it's about looking for 3-letter terms like MP5, MP7, HPA, FPS etc. - adding an asterisk to these just turns the fourth letter into an unknown 'wildcard' so 3-letter terms are still omitted. Search right now for 'mp5*' and you'll see only two or three results about us talking about the MP5K and where I've typed 'MP5*' - not all the other posts about MP5s.

Edit

I'm super dumb. You know where you search and it defaults to the topic? Yeh, I've been searching in this topic the whole time. How to forums... Seems to work though. Can you confirm with anything else that this isn't just looking up 'mp5k' etc.?

Also, this seems equally dumb from a programming perspective: Why (as the IPB devs) would one simultaneously disallow 3-character search terms but also allow such a workaround? Bonkers.

See two posts below.

• Supporters

Ah :/ the 'code' mumbo jumbo has always been devs area, and unfortunately it seems he's trapped in his own life and has been for some time (that's by no means a dig) we just have to wait out I'm afraid :)

• Root Admin

Ok, hold on. I wasn't quite wrong (turns out neither of us were), but this is confusing as hell. Edit coming in :)

Edit

Just spent two minutes fiddling with the search, and this - for want of a better phrase - is very f*ck-y.

In summary: It only searches for 4-character terms with an asterisk (i.e. something like MP5K or MP5A, MP5B etc.) when you use the following to search with: mp5*

However, it will also highlight the desired 3-character terms (i.e. MP5) when you click on a result. This is the desired effect, but here's the dumb bit: If the post doesn't have an 'MP5K' anywhere, it will not show in the search results. In short: You might think you're searching for everything that's 3 letters long, but in reality you're searching for everything that's 4 characters long but it's also highlighting 3-character results if they happen to be on the same topic page. This is ridiculously misleading.

To test:

• On December 29th there's a thread where Senior says 'MP7' in his post. Here's the link: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/29376-cyma-m4-mp5-and-deagle/
  • Put 'mp7' into the search bar and nothing comes up
  • Put 'mp7*' into the search bar and results show up
  • Notice how the thread from December 29th doesn't show up, despite it having 'MP5' in the topic
  • Notice how other threads may show up, but also take note of how these all have 'MP5K' (or something similar) on the same topic page

In conclusion: Stupid system.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.