Headsets

proffrink

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

I was going to put this in the simple questions thread, but I feel it probably needs multiple inputs so here goes nothing.

I recently got a Baofeng UV-5R. Whilst I'm waiting for my licence to come through, I've been wondering about headsets. I've got a budget of up to £80, and I'd ideally like something that gives me as much situational audio as possible too (so single-ear headsets would be nice).

I'm wondering what you've all tried and what to avoid and if bone induction earpieces are viable at all or if they're still kind of naff. Thanks all.

Oh and it's the Kenwood 2-pin type headsets that is accepts if I've understood the rather brief manual correctly.

I bought a Code red bone conduction headset (the new cheaper one not the police force targeted one). My experience with it is that listening is excellent, its a fantastic experience to hear everything around you and the voice quality you get across it is better than a normal in ear monitor. However one of the problems I have with it is that sending seems mixed, sometimes its crystal clear and sometimes is garbled nonsense. I think part of the problem is pressure put on the bone conduction headset by my goggle straps and the mesh face mask, certainly when I test it without these factors I have never had an issue, but its not like I can go and skirmish without my eyepro on! I have been contemplating perhaps moving to a set of tactical glasses instead of my Locust goggles but I really do prefer the safety of full seal, I just don't have a good solution for getting the pressure off without replacing the goggles.

So I can't really recommend them yet, I am not 100% certain the issue is this pressure although I think its likely, I just know I have problems on send that I don't have on receive sometimes but not always. I like the button it works well and I think in general I am happy with the quality of the product but its been a little hit and miss on send quality and I need to try a different setup to see if I can solve the problem I have with it.

• Root Admin

That's a bummer. You'd have thought it would be something they'd think of too if the same technology is being applied to those for tactical entry teams and the like. The concept is certainly cool though - if I can find out more about them I might go for something similar as not having a big old mic boom is certainly a plus for me.

• Root Admin

So I got the following replied from Code Red:

We have never received any negative comments on wearing glasses. Goggles will actually improve the performance by keeping the bone conduction points tighter against the temple.

Hope this helps.

Farris Isaacson

I also asked them about the comment on their store page where they said the UV-5R was having problems in some cases and whether it was a particular batch number:

There doesn’t seem to be any common denominator. The connector on theUV-5R is intermittent.

Needless to say, I've ordered one.

Im using the Code Red bone conduction mic which cost about £80 iirc. I wear it with tactical glasses and its fine on RX and TX so it might be your goggles ?

What's it like?

I like it - as Bright says, its really weird when you can hear your radio despite your ears being uncovered (great for overall awareness). I haven't had any clarity or QRF issues, but I find that because of the design, the transducers are attached to an ear clip which force your ears forward slightly making them look like a taxi with the doors wide open.

I tend to use them as a back up as I now have some MSA Sordins, but they are professional and you can replace the lead between PTT and radio so it can be used with different radios if you have a team or more than one radio type.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.