What sort of bidget do you recomend to get started with airsoft?

Mosh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I am completly new to airsoft and am looking to start playing after the new year and if I enjoy I plan on getting the full gear, Ideally I would like to play as a sniper however i'm not sure if its the best thing to start with in which case I am going to go for the M4 style. I'm just looking foor a ballpark region and if you dont mind giving me some gear recomendations, if there is already a thread similar to mine then I appologise.

Also, will I be the odd one out going lone wolf as none of my friends play however my university has a group of playing whom I may join if I enjoy.

Many Thanks.

• Root Admin

£50 - rent.

If not, £180 minimum. £120 for your gun, £30 for your eyepro, BBs and an extra magazine and £25-30 for your entry fee. Airsoft is kind of all about how much you're comfortable with spending. It's a part of what makes it a great hobby.

Read the stickies on this forum. 90% of 'I'm a new player what do I do about X' questions have already been answered so many times that they have their own threads.

Edit

Was going to edit in the above links. Damnet Monty.

• Supporters

What the guys have posted above pretty much covers it. One factor will be whether or not you are happy running a couple of high cap magazines, with the spare ones in your pockets. However this is something you will have to determine for yourself as it's largely down to playstyle plus how you want your loadout to look(e.g. jeans and a shirt or camo gear with a chest rig, the latter adding costs even if you pickup things on the cheaper end of the spectrum)

Also, thanks everyone for your help, do you recomend hicap or mid cap mags?

Different people will rate different options as fun for different reasons, for example I cannot comprehend why anyone would use a non electric high cap (i've yet to try any hicap), when midcaps go over 120 BBs.

There are three types of Hicaps, winding, pull cord, and electric. As I find reloading fun, I completely advocate a particular option, but there isnt really a "best" option - though I suspect the electric high caps are quite easy to operate.

Either way you want to be able to carry up to 600 BBs preloaded into magazines - 5 midcaps or 1-2 hicaps.

Don't forget to buy a magazine loading tool.

Go for whichever option you see as most fun, or cost effective. It really does not impact your game play in any way. Though obviously if you have mid caps you need somewhere to hold those midcaps.

High caps do rattle so most people I know prefer mid caps. saves giving away your position when you are trying to be stealthy.

• Supporters

its usually the spare mags ya carrying that burst into a samba de amigo routine

get a single 450rnd M4 and you can still be quite stealthy, hey and no spare mags to lose either

eventually if like me you go a bit nutz or the game turns into a long drawn out firefight you might run out of ammo

but in the dead/safe zone refilling ya mag(s) you and ya team of hi cappers can burst into song again:

yeah not very stealthy but wtf - if ya get owned - then get down on ya bad self and shake it baby

(never managed to get them rare hen's teeth Dreamcast bad boys though)

Damn it - now I wanna go off and look for a patch of that retro mofo now

Like I always say to anyone who has never been before,

Buy some cheap combat trousers, some mesh goggles & some boots from your local surplus store or on line.

wear a muted coloured top/jacket/fleece for your top.

rent your gun for your first day......play & see if you enjoy it.

don't worry about looking like a special forces operative for your first game, just go and have fun & if you don't like it or its not for you its cost you very little. Your kit will build up in time so don't worry about that.

Hope you enjoy airsoft mate :)

• Supporters

I have gloves from when I used to paintball, need some new boots though, any recommendations or is it just any supportive/combat boots?

I like German Para boots, they can be picked up for around £40 surplus in very good condition. As said, anything with good ankle support and preferably good grip should do the trick.

• Moderators

as fumps said really, take your time and hire or buy what you need, I wanted my own face pro but I knew the 1st game on the stag do wouldn't be my last so I was equipped before the day!

1st game - khaki combats, black jumper, mesh googles, half face pro, cap....hire games, M4

2nd games - coyote combats, mtp smock....it was a rather warm day though but pockets were useful for carrying the several containers we needed to collect!! - hire game, new ICS M4

3rd game - camogrom combats, coyote ubacs, 901 chest rig cap and or fast helmet, 6 mid caps, ICS CXP UK1 :)

ok I had the clothing from general use and had time to get things between 1st and 3rd game, 4 months!....but it costs, went for discounts when they came in via email and did plenty of research.....it and wont stop there!

there is probably no real figure to give you as it can vary so much, hire for the games you need ,some sites may allow you to buy ready for your 3rd game, but that's site specific I guess, I reckon ive spent around £1.......whats that dear, eeer yeah hang on.....she'll kill me, like SD, my wifes not gonna be to happy if she knew the real cost.....so I times it by about 0.00001!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.