Comms Advice

Baxter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking for a little help guys and girls ....

I'm looking to purchase comms equipment for myself and 2 sons for Airsoft and wondered what you would recommend.

Looking for radios, PTT, headsets (preferably ones that can mount to fast helmet) and any other recommended add ons.

Not wanting to spend a fortune but happy to pay a little extra if theres a benefit.

Cheers in advance.

If you just want short range comms, go for PMR446 radios which will give you a minimum of a few hundred metres in dense woodland (worst case scenario), they dont require a licence and you have 8 channels to choose from.

Headsets and PTTs are a bit more difficult as it depends on what headgear you wear and loadout etc.

Choose the radio first and make sure it has a common type of socket for PTT connection. Motorola one pin is widespread.

Then pick your PTT and headset with this connection.

I would always spend a reasonable amount of money on the headset. A lot of people buy expensive radios and junk headsets.

Cheers Baz.

I'm currently looking at the Motorola TLKR T80 and T81's. These seem to be PMR446 and I think might be suitable for what we need.

The T80's look like they're half the price of the T81. Does anyone have any experience of either or both?

Looks like the same radio body with different accessories supplied as standard. Good radios - I have the older T8 version.

Make sure they gave the rotary volume knob rather than pushbuttons and obviously avoid yellow.

Cheers Baz.

Went for the T81's in the end as the accessories made it decent value and also available in a less bright green colour. Just had them delivered so not had a chance too use them yet. I'm sure they'll do the job nicely so thanks for your replies.

If your looking to mount the headset then you'll want comtac/sordin type.

They need rail mounts to fit the fast helmet.

Your looking at £70+ for the headset and then £15+ for the rail mounts.

And then factor in the PTT and radio and its can get expensive.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.