shooting distance, accuracy and barrel length.

Taxman22

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello folks,

Quick question.

What is the difference between shooting, effective range (distance) and the barrel length ofof the rifle.

So is there a difference in range between let's say an MP5 style submachine gun and a longer M4 style rifle?

If they both run at 350fps how much does barrel length come in to play?

I'm looking at picking up my first airsoft rifle and I prefer the more compact M4 (M4 commando style). But if they all go a similar distance regardless of barrel length then we should all be running around with tiny SMGs to keep our profile smaller . (forgetting personal preference for a second)

Cheers

TM

• Supporters

In "theory" the longer barrel "should" be more accurate as it "should" stabilise the bb flight

but a crap long barrel is worse as it can have an opposite effect on accuracy

Smaller barrels tend to need a very slightly higher spring than longer barrels

(eg: mp5 vs ak47)

Ultra short barrels may lack the accuracy but can still have good range (mp5k or M4 stubby/pistol)

(this is taking it like for like eg: perfect true lapped & polished barrel on long M4 & stubby cqb M4)

Now obviously a well setup cqb gun can surpass a crap M16/AK47

But my understanding at some point there is little real trade off in most areas going longer/shorter

With that in mind - there seems to be a happy medium barrel length perhaps 250mm to 350mm

(my own aprox preference is about 275-300mm as a good all rounder barrel length for most situations)

The Myth is that longer is better or more accurate does not always apply

A lot of the range and accuracy is not down to barrel itself but the hop/bucking

This is where the spin/magnus is created to help maintain flight for range

and if created correctly and applied accurately is the foundation for accuracy as it starts its journey down the barrel

(hopefully a good clean/polished quality barrel)

if hop is not applying the pressure correctly/evenly then the bb will fall short or swerve or hook/slice if you like golf

Now to get and improve your gun's accuracy is in fact down more to hop than barrel

(other factors come into play - lapped/polished barrel, choice of bb's, tight bore does not always mean best barrel etc...)

imho - 275-300 decent barrel, experiment with hop/bucking - flat hop or R hop system are 2 popular options used

decent seemless quality 0.25gm bb's, keep barrel clean etc......

barrels on their do nigh on jack $hit - most is just down to personal pref

quick run through of some guns/barrel

G&G

Raider Short - 233

Raider Long - 357 or most m4 carbines are about that 357 to 363 is norm

M4 Commando - 300mm

CM18 - think that is 275

GC16 - think that is 330

Firehawk - 110-120 - jeez can't remember but about same as a mp5k

others....

AK74 - 229 aprox

G36c - 250 aprox

AK47 - usually 455 - but can vary a little depending on exact model/make

ahhh crap - the other models

L85 - 509 but again not all - there are different models like not all G36's are 250mm G36c

(same goes for mp5's or M4's or AK's)

ahh sod it - check the gun/model specs on a few sights as they don't always get posted 101% accurately

just don't just assume the longer barrel mofo's must be more accurate

(I got a couple of longer barrel guns that at the moment are just $hit - looks accurate but couldn't hit a barn door in reality)

• Root Admin

Basically agreed with Sitting Duck here. There are quite a few variables.

A cheaper longer barrel will be far worse than a shorter, better finished barrel that's for sure. Thing is, your hop, ammo and the bore size come into play (the hop in particular) when looking at range, and that's why I go with a wider bore because I believe it to interfere less with the backspin as the BB travels down the barrel.

More so than with other bits of airsoft gear you do get what you pay for when it comes to buying an aftermarket barrel. Prometheus/Laylax, PDI, EdGI, ORGA are all excellent barrels from my experience and many others, but like Sitting Duck says, you're not necessarily constrained by the length of your barrel at all.

It depends what you want to do, but most lengths and diameters can be made to perform just as well as one another by changing one of the other variables.

Barrel length on airsoft guns has very little to do with accuracy (my vsr gspec sniper rifle has a 303mm inner barrel). Barrel quality is another matter. A good quality, highly polished inner barrel will make a big difference over a poor quality, badly finished one. Many people lap their inner barrels to polish them to a mirror finish.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to shops? but this is not a plug but if you check this link http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/m4_and_m14_variants.html

Why is there such a variance in price from the first 4 rifles? They look very simillar is it more internals? and the decription names, like:-

G&G GC 16 FFR 9 inch Ref: EGC-016-FR9-BNB-NCM In stock - I am assuming the ECG-016-FR9-BNB-NCM part has a lot to do with why they differ? abbreviations for different components?

• Supporters

In normal 6.08 barrels the BB stabilizes after let's say 25cm. The hopup gives it a push and it bounces a few times before stabilizing in the barrel and sitting onto an air cushion. You can see the marks it leaves if you use BBs that leave a mark. Tighter bores stabilize the BB somewhat earlier.

So it depends on this bouncing but after that 25cm length doesn't matter.

But. Barrel length does matter in regards of the useful size of the cylinder. The cylinder size, barrel length and BB weight has to be matched. Switching to a long barrel and leaving everything else as is, will make the gun worse.

The most accurate out of box gun I ever had was a Boyi G36c. That one has a barrel about 240mm.

Also one of the least effective and most costly upgrade is precision barrel.

To get accuracy: clean everything, use good and heavy BBs, use good hopup nub, use good hopup bucking, stabilize fps, and just after all these, get a precision barrel.

Also one of the least effective and most costly upgrade is precision barrel.

To get accuracy: clean everything, use good and heavy BBs, use good hopup nub, use good hopup bucking, stabilize fps, and just after all these, get a precision barrel.

When you say 'precision barrel', is that inclusive of ALL bores, or just some?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.