Food to bring for Milsim

beastmode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a milsim coming up in December Okto 8. Just wondered what do people do for food when on a Milsim? I looked at Ration packs but they seem expensive for what they are.

The ones I go to there's normally a mix of those eating ration packs and those who have taken sandwiches.

Rat packs really need to be heated up so if you're ok carrying a jetboil or similar they really are great.

Otherwise just bung a few sarnies in a zipbag and try not to squash 'em too much.

For me it depends on the time of year/weather and how long the milsim is.

One hot meal every 24hrs does wonders for morale.

Well I'll get there on the Friday night so will probably eat something before I get there. Then its all day Saturday and finish on the Sunday afternoon.

Yank MRE's come with flame less ration heaters you just put a little bit of water in and they take up no extra space really.

Soldier of fortune do 3 MREs for circa £21. They say for a soldier doing physical activity in the field you should have 3 a day so they're like a whole meal but you should be okay get away with the three and maybe some extra snack stuff

The ones I go to there's normally a mix of those eating ration packs and those who have taken sandwiches.

Rat packs really need to be heated up so if you're ok carrying a jetboil or similar they really are great.

Otherwise just bung a few sarnies in a zipbag and try not to squash 'em too much.

For me it depends on the time of year/weather and how long the milsim is.

One hot meal every 24hrs does wonders for morale.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but as a user of rat packs for many years, they dont all need to be heated, they can be eaten cold as there already cooked but yes they do taste better warm & totally agree that a hot meal raises moral

I'm going to the same milsim with beastmode but I bought mine already

• Head Moderator

Yank MRE's come with flame less ration heaters you just put a little bit of water in and they take up no extra space really.

Soldier of fortune do 3 MREs for circa £21. They say for a soldier doing physical activity in the field you should have 3 a day so they're like a whole meal but you should be okay get away with the three and maybe some extra snack stuff

We used to get issed 2 MREs per day back in 2003, or 1 British 24 hr ration pack. The MRE chemical heaters are very good, especially for doing food on the move.

• Supporters

I make up my own DIY packs. It means I get all the things I need and they are also the things I like. Realistically how much are you going to be carrying the whole pack (that's where the rat packs come in, they are small ish, light ish and contain most of the calories you will need). There are very few games I can think of where you would need to carry all your supplies with you the whole time. I carry snacks in a pocket or small pouch and leave the bigger main meals etc back at the team base with a small gas cooking set.

Depending on what you are into there are some great bits and pieces out there, morrisons and tescos had/have wet packs of chilli or meatballs that I would boil in the bag, the hot water makes a big mug of tea and a portion of cous cous that could go into the bag just needed a long spoon to eat comfortably. John west have tuna pouches that make good lunches on the go or can be added to other dishes, they have a tomato and a lime one. Tescos have small snack bags I tend to have 3 in my pocket at one time, I like biltong and dried mango/mixed fruit and nuts and a salted roasted peanuts.

I guess I would go with something like:

Breakfast:

Alpen, in a ziplock with milk powder and sugar already added then add water in the morning, cold or hot however you are feeling.

Kids fromage fraise (yoghurt in a tube or pouch)

Fruit leather (like fruit rollups) or fresh fruit if I'm not weight dependent.

Snacks

Tuna pouch

Biltong

Dried mango

Salted nuts

Poweraid/isotonic (I found these in effervescent tablet form so I carry a bottle dedicated to the isotonic to sip from throughout the day, normally 1 each half day) the hydration pouch is only ever water!

Cereal bars

Lunch (if I stop)

Small wraps with pepperami or individually wrapped cheese portions I make these up at the time or perhaps a Ginsters style pasty or slice

Cuppa soups (if its cold and I need something warm)

Fruit leather, or fresh fruit

Dinner

Meatballs or chilli with cous cous ( cooks super quick, just add boiling water)

Or

Decent noodles (I prefer proper Chinese style noodles) minimal cooking but you can add lots of stuff. I dry veg in the lead up to use, things like finely sliced carrots, cabbage, ginger and sometimes garlic, add these with some biltong and you have something that approximates Pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup. Add in a lime and those sushi fish things that hold soy sauce ( one with tabasco, one soy and one with thai fish sauce) and it tastes great, almost like the real thing, very filling and warming.

Simple and light weight options I would go with pasta and sauce, possibly add a tuna pouch or two.

To save fuel and keep things hot I would suggest making a pot cozy if you haven't already, simple duct tape and ThermaWrap ( foil sided bubble wrap).

Just remember, at Okto 8, you don't need to cook in a hurry or keep food to a bare minimum. I made some sausage pasta for the evenings and had some beans and sausage in the morning. Keeps the morale up compared to eating MREs

We used to get issed 2 MREs per day back in 2003, or 1 British 24 hr ration pack. The MRE chemical heaters are very good, especially for doing food on the move.

The American MREs? Thats better to know i can get away with two a day, was dreading carrying like 12 or something for the likes of berget.

Any recommendations on what menus to avoid or seek out?

• Head Moderator

The American MREs? Thats better to know i can get away with two a day, was dreading carrying like 12 or something for the likes of berget.

Any recommendations on what menus to avoid or seek out?

IIRC they were numbered 1 to 32, and we just took whatever was going. Then used to swap items, I did try and get the jalepeno cheese spread though as it was a tasty snack with crackers. I still have a couple of the dinners in the garage but not sure if they are any good after 12 years.

IIRC they were numbered 1 to 32, and we just took whatever was going. Then used to swap items, I did try and get the jalepeno cheese spread though as it was a tasty snack with crackers. I still have a couple of the dinners in the garage but not sure if they are any good after 12 years.

Only one way to find out, find out!

Although its a 48 hour game, you only theoretically need to eat lunch in the battlezone.

Depending on your team role, you might need to eat this dug in though (e.g, OP) so normally light, easy and nutricious for the middle meal with more time consuming breakfast and dinner meals for out of game. However, in saying that, many players go for the full effect and do the whole 48 hours in the "zone" and live on rations. Its entirely up to you and the answers depend on what you plan.

A metal spork is a good investment. Its December and the long range forecast isnt accurate enough yet for us to reliably predict the conditions. Be prepared for anything. Decide how you are going to heat your food and water and work back from that.

A rationed amount of chocolate and a few boiled sweets are good to keep spirits up. You might end up having to be mobile so avoid stodge.

If you are worried about any aspect like clothing, provisions etc, then just post up in your team group or the wider closed community group and Im sure your team mates or even the other players will be happy to help based on their experience. Many players have fought Eversley before and quite a few have been at all the Okto games at different times of year.

see my post above^

much cheaper :)

• Supporters

Most sensible post in the whole thread.

One thing playing soldiers another thing eating their sh*tty rations.

I always used to plan to pack MREs for days when the food on site was terrible. However I quickly realised I could do without lunch and becoming dehydrated was more of an issue.

That said if people want to bring out the mess tins etc then I say crack on. Even basic hot food is surprisingly good when you've been out all day, especially when it gets cold.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.