Tamiya Mini connector to balance charger

AngelGrinder

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Bought my first AEG last week, with a 3s Lipo, I didn't take them up on the charger, as I have an IMax B6 for my R/C equipment.

Unfortunately I don't have the right connection. I could change the plug on the gun and Lipo to a dean's or something, but I'd rather not do anything to such a new gun, in case I need to return it.

Can anyone recommend a UK site that will either be able to send me a tamiya mini to female deans connector or similar. I've found one on eBay but it's in China and need it a bit sooner!

Thanks all

• Supporters

nobody in UK got that ??

thought a place like componentshop could supply one

you not checked on fleabay and clicked UK only ???

knock one up yourself or failing that fit deans to gun & battery and get better response

will these work ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TaskForce-Mini-Tamiya-Male-to-Deans-Female-/171980012213?hash=item280acebab5:g:~MMAAOSwT5tWLlCi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airsoft-Battery-Charging-Adapter-Harness-4mm-Banana-to-Deans-Tamiya-Mini-Tamiya-/231732481312?hash=item35f4550d20:g:BDgAAOSwiCRUgc2s

check the connectors are exactly correct in case I've got it wrong but something like that is perhaps what ya seek

Why not go to your local rc shop, buy a dean's with presoldered wires then just put a mini tamiya on the other end

That's what I do, I come from an rc background aswell

• Head Moderator

I am at work so cannot check my saved list of component shops recommended by others here. You could have a look at Patrol Base htttp://patrolbase.co.uk as they have mini Tamiya to large Tamiya or other way around.

• Supporters

Be careful if buying cheapo adapters from overseas.....

CHECK THE POLARITY or pinouts of them coz a few of us had had to correct them in the past.....

For some bizzare reason the large and small tamiya connectors can be reversed ???

LARGE TAMIYA - red posi lead has a SQUARE tamiya plug connector

SMALL TAMIYA - red posi lead has a ROUND tamiya plug connector on airsoft stuff

But when I've got large tamiya or XT60 to small tamiya adapters in past the small tamiya red posi wire was on a SQUARE connector

wondered why gun won't fire - polarity is reversed and luckily AR latch is stopping gun running in reverse

it is weird thing I recently found out the red posi connector is a different shape on Large/Small tamiya's - jeeez

so just double check the polarity is 101% correct when using any adapters is a wise thing

• Supporters

BIG WORD OF CAUTION - soz for shouting.....

Try a 2 cell 7.4v lipo first !!!!!

3 cell 11.1v might be a bit too much especially if you strap some 11.1v 35c+ bastid to ya gun

run it on 7.4v - see how quick she fires, expect to see 50% again with extra cell

if you are getting 20rps on 7.4v then you may be getting 30rps on 11.1v

30rps may not be wise on a stock gun - Pre Engagement may happen if heavy piston and light spring

in any case the piston's pick up tooth may just snap off soon if Angle of Engagement not done

(I know this coz snapped a couple of pistons by chucking in fast motors and more juice - yeah that didn't last too long)

just go easy - 20 should be ok for stock gun

25rps and she may double fire

30 risk of PE "may" appear

test on 7.4v first and get an idea - you will probably be ok if motor is not too mental

but a few people have boned their guns from going nutz on the juice out of the box

Also, think this was missed by the guys before:

Don't charge a Lipo battery by the main connector (whether it's deans or tamiya), instead use a proper charger designed for Lipo batteries via the balance port (dinky little connector with three (2s) or four (3s) pins.

Charging via the main connector will eventually lead to the battery falling our of balance, one cell having a higher charge than the other(s) which can cause damage to the battery, and if use continues, Possibly a fire risk.

Tl:dr but a Lipo charger for any Lipo battery. Any smart charger will do, So long as it balances the cells. They aren't expensive at all. 20 quid will get a sensible choice

Thanks again all, I'll double check the polarity, that does sound like a recipe for disaster!

It has run ok on the 3s, I'll have a hunt round for info, unfortunately it doesn't seem a common gun over here so not many people with experience. I used it for a few hours for skirmishing the other day and I didn't notice any issues. I'm not a massive sprayer though! It's got a fairly low c rating so that probably helps.

This is the AEG - http://www.moaihobby.com/shop/index.php/a-p-s-asr-114-10inch-key-mod-match-grade-rifle-silver-edge-gearbox-black.html

Anyone any experience with that gearbox on 11.1v?

I'm happy charging, got a proper balance charger so not to worried on that aspect, thanks for the advice though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.