fingerless gloves or not?

4-E
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Definitely not for Close Quarters (indoors/urban). Some would advocate an exposed trigger finger for outdoor play, but imo that's more about the gun's trigger internals, or creating an impression, than the player. As to your question, I can't think of an advantage to all fingertips exposed.

I'm not going back to CQB until I get some armoured gloves, if you're going into CQB I recommend giving gloves which protect the back of your fingers/knuckles a good bit a time reading reviews (lots of them appear to have weakness when washed).

Got a bone bruise (semi-permanent bump on a pinky bone) from multiple auto BB strikes at under 1m, with gloves. The other guy was in the wrong, but that didn't heal my finger. Also got a huge blood blister for a few weeks.

• Root Admin

I'd say just get thin gloves like Mechanix Vents, but it's all preference. Obviously it could hurt more, but you'll be slightly more dexterous.

If you've not played before I'd go middle of the road and get something standard thickness. Keep the tips on to begin with.

• Head Moderator

As above. The thicker the glove then generally the less dextrous you are, and it can take a time getting used to handling a gun and kit with them on. Sometimes a simple operation without gloves becomes much slower and more difficult with them on. Thinner flexible gloves will feel more natural and give better manipulation of fingers, however, they have less protection. Certainly would not play without gloves.

I mainly play CQB so having thicker and more protective gloves is important as it lessens the pain and possible damage at close range. Currently have a fairly cheap pair of motorbike style gloves with plastic knuckle protection and some extra padding but after having had fingers and fingernails hit I am seriously considering upgrading to a more expensive pair with much better finger protection.

Full finger gloves for cqb, I've been caught on the fingertip many times, I use full finger gloves with thumb & forefinger cut at the 1st joint as I prefer the feel of the trigger & fire selector but still have coverage on my other fingers

I wear fingerless gloves all the time when skirmishing. Easy to manipulate fire selectors, magazine catches, grenade pins etc. Yes you get the occasional unlucky hit to an exposed bit of finger, but it isn't any more painful than a hit to the funny bone in your hand through gloves (those little stingers really hurt)

On balance, I'd say that fingerless gloves are worth the pain even in CQB, as you do less fumbling and more shooting, especially when fishing for mags and grenades in pockets (like of you take your chest rig off to avoid cooking in summer)

Its all down to your preference, but my 10 quid b&q joiners gloves are worth a punt even if they aren't for you

I wear fingerless gloves all the time when skirmishing. Easy to manipulate fire selectors, magazine catches, grenade pins etc. Yes you get the occasional unlucky hit to an exposed bit of finger, but it isn't any more painful than a hit to the funny bone in your hand through gloves (those little stingers really hurt)

On balance, I'd say that fingerless gloves are worth the pain even in CQB, as you do less fumbling and more shooting, especially when fishing for mags and grenades in pockets (like of you take your chest rig off to avoid cooking in summer)

Its all down to your preference, but my 10 quid b&q joiners gloves are worth a punt even if they aren't for you

But for a newbie like the OP - I was nearly put off airsoft on the spot - due to the injury I got with gloves on - it was only after I found out the guy that shot me was cheating - using auto in bunker 51, that I accepted injuries will happen.

If anyone reading this forum isn't prepared to take a hit that hurts, then airsoft isn't for them. For the people like you and me that take it, swear a little then accept it as part of the game, you're on the right track

Remember that a new player will be in a new environment. Things like quickly switching to semi when you go indoors or preparing a nade are easy to us now, but to a new player it's hard to start with, there's no muscle memory to help out and full finger gloves make that harder

I personally prefer fingerless, and find them better on balance, but others' mileage may vary. And if you buy a cheap pair of gloves from B&a designed to take abuse on a construction site, you'll have a hard time wearing them out compared to airsoft gear, even mechanix (in my personal experience)

I'm used to wearing gloves while handling weapons through the army cadets where they were wooly gloves to northern Ireland gloves in the army

As Grover said, at the begining you will fumble around & be excused for it until muscle memory takes over (that's the point where you no longer have to think about what your doing but you do it because it's now 2nd nature)

I run fingerless in both woodland and CQB since my very first game, have had a few knuckle shots and yes they really sting and for longer than normal hits to more padded areas but prefer the feel and dexterity provided by fingerless.

Though I am thinking of getting a pair where the thumb and index finger is fingerless as its all you really need if you want better feel/response on the fire selector and trigger.

During the warmer gams are wear exclusively fingerless. I find its easy to change magazines, pull the trigger and generally manipulate the gun. Ideally I would have just my first finger and thumb open for the sake of grabbing things but not many gloves are going to come like that so I use the all fingerless ones. In the winter I switch to thicker covered gloves to keep my fingertips warm (since I play woodland and in Winter it can get a little chilly).

If you had asked me a year ago I would have told you fingerless was a mistake, everytime I got shot in the hands it was on the tips of my fingers and I had a finger fractured in the Epsom bunker and multiple blood blisters on the tips, I don't think I got hit on the armour once at that point! But now I consider the faster manipulation more important than the occasional injury and you get used to being hit. In woodland its rare I get hit close so the chance of injury is much lower and the finger tips are very rare places to get hit. I dislike using the full gloves now, its just a warmth thing for me.

• 2 years later...

Can any of you kindly recommend a decent brand for about £30?

I have nothing to go on and was thinking either Mechanix or Warrior Assault Systems.

My right hand took a real hammering a week ago at a CQB site. The scars are still there on my knuckles and are still quite raw and itching like ........

Don't mind a bit of pain, but the knuckle shots were extremely unpleasant, as was one that I took in the throat at very close range. Will be buying a snood as well before my next game.

14 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Can any of you kindly recommend a decent brand for about £30?

Personally I wouldn't do fingerless. They're attractive because it makes handling stuff easier. But taking hits on a finger nail made me cry :D

I really like the armoclad gloves. Can be had pretty cheap (compared to others), but I've struggled getting large size coyote. Had to do a US order - then found them at camoraids https://www.camoraids.com/shop/combatgear/gloves/ironclad-exo-tactical-impact-cb-l/

I wear cheap gloves, full finger with plastic knuckle protection. Quite bulky, and I found no issues with finding stuff in pockets and handling mags and catches and the likes (on my M4s, snipers are a different story). Saying that though they aren't armoured down the fingers so they still have decent dexterity to them. I have some with the fingertips cut off for sniping but thats because I need a good feel on the trigger and the mags can be awkward to reload with normal gloves.
So basically I wear full finger for my "Assault" loadouts where dexterity can be sacrificed slightly (albeit not much is lost) and besides,you learn pretty quick how to handle stuff with gloves on.
and I wear cut back gloves for sniping where it's really awkward.

I love my Mechanix Mpacts. enough armour to save your fingers in CQB but still pretty dexterous. As with a lot of airsoft gear it's a compromise but I'd say these are a good balance

• Head Moderator

I agree with the Mechanix Mpacts, I use a pair for CQB.

I use Mechanix MPacts, perfectly enough dexterity for flipping safeties, opening pouches, pushing holster buttons etc.

I'm also considering installing a new trigger guard on my M4 though for extra room - either a BCM Gunfighter Mod0 or a Magpul MOE. Anyone done this on a CYMA M4? Compatible?

• Supporters

personally i go fingerless, although getting full auto'd in the fingernail is a memorable experience to say the least.

but then that's outdoors, with quite open sites, i agree that for cqb you'd be better looking at full finger gloves.

leather motorbike gloves are a good (if expensive) solution to maintaining dexterity whilst giving pretty good protection.

17 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I use Mechanix MPacts, perfectly enough dexterity for flipping safeties, opening pouches, pushing holster buttons etc.

I'm also considering installing a new trigger guard on my M4 though for extra room - either a BCM Gunfighter Mod0 or a Magpul MOE. Anyone done this on a CYMA M4? Compatible?

Thanks for the response.

Would they be OK when using a pistol?

Honestly in terms of finger or fingerless, it's personal preference. Me for example - Can never imagine me wearing fingerless gloves. Don't like them. However I can understand why people wear fingerless gloves.

My best advice in the most generic fashion: Buy cheap gloves. Mine cost me about a 10er. If you don't like the restrictiveness/lack of tactile feedback - Cut off the tip of your index finger. If you realise you don't like that, when you're next prepared to - replace them with full length gloves.

5 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks for the response.

Would they be OK when using a pistol?

Yep, I use them with my P226 all the time, no problems at all.

I've been pondering this a lot. Since I started, I've been using these: shooting gloves
Mainly because I had them from when I was into air rifles.
I like the fact that forefinger and thumb are uncovered. However that's about it.
They're too warm for CQB and there's no built in protection.
They're pretty much too warm for outdoors too, in all but the worst weather, when they come into their own.
I ended up playing without gloves at all today, as the increased dexterity was worth the trade off. 
I really liked it and it made life much easier, as there are only two fingers on my left hand that work properly - which makes gloves a bit of a PITA, both in use and when buying.
I'm watching this thread closely for suggestions of the light yet protective variety! :D

• Supporters

I've got a fuckin ridiculous stack of tactical gloves at home, every popular fancy tactical option from the past decade.  The PIG Deltas are my current go-to myself and for recommending, the dexterity is immense.

On the flip side, they're not always perfectly stitched and you can get work gloves on ebay for about £2-4 a pair which are also good for shooting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-6-12-24-Pairs-Warrior-Black-PU-Grip-Palm-Builders-Work-Gloves-XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL/142605638532?var=441580298047&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49919%26meid%3D16bee51ee1694b22a9e7963605ef2b26%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222878252246%26itm%3D441580298047&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I've spent months and months wearing that type of glove humping tins of ammo around, they last a long time, decent dexterity, pretty much the same thickness as any PIG glove.  If you don't care about looking fancy, they have a ton of grip too.

Archived