Protective prescription eyewear vs perspiration

di11on

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks,

I wear glasses and 'm looking for the prescription eye protection solution that is least susceptible to fogging / sweating up. Here is what I've tried so far:

Contact lenses plus ESS Glasses: Best performance so far but I hate wearing contact lenses and I want an alternative

ESS Glasses with prescription inserts: After around 15-20 minutes they are covered in a layer of moisture which I think is from perspiration and not from fogging. However, it renders me ineffective and I can't see a thing. I wear a cap and it's usually soaked through after an hour or so of play - so I appear to be a sweaty guy! With the ESS Glasses, the prescription inserts are very close to your face, so I guess this is why they are "sweating up". Just to be clear- no fogging up here at all, just a build up of liquid water.

Bolle Twister Prescription Goggles: I had really high hopes for these as the protective lenses are prescription lenses - so you're looking through only one set of lenses (no inserts) and your vision is corrected. Their first outing was a disaster. Despite using Sea Gold anti fog which I've read great reviews about, the things were all fogged up just getting to the first staging area I also tried my anti-fog cloth which works great with the ESS glasses but no luck! The problem, I think, with these, is that they are closed around the sides and there just nowhere for the water vapour to go?

Does anyone have an suggestions? It seems to me there is very little you can do about the perspiration?

Perhaps Bolle Goggles with prescription inserts - if the inserts aren't so close to your face the sweat issue may not occur?

Any thoughts?

Hav u tried getting inserts for a fan assisted goggles? Apologies if I havmiss read and this option has already been explored

Hav u tried getting inserts for a fan assisted goggles? Apologies if I havmiss read and this option has already been explored

Thanks for this suggestion - I haven't tried fan assisted goggles - any heavy sweating glasses wearing airsofters out there tried this?

i too am a very sweaty person, and have a similar issue to you - i wear glasses for an astigmatism - i tried contacts but couldnt get them into my eyes - even the optician had issues. currently my go to eye wear is a pair of Oakley M Frame 3.0 Si ballistic glasses along with a set of rx inserts. i wear a helmet as part of my loadout, hence it keeps the heat in even more. i have found that if i wear a bandanna under my helmet then i get less rain out on my glasses. just make sure that you wring it out after each game. or run it in cold water first - that helps.

i have seen some bandannas on ebay by a company Zan Headgear that seem to be quite good - they do regular, or vented, or you can get one that has a cooling strip in it. im yet to try one, but that might be a good idea.

basically the sweat is saturating your cap and then you get rain out on your glasses. but i know how ineffective you are with rain out - its as though you arent wearing your glasses :)

On a serious note, I would look at what there "more active" sports have to offer. We all know about tennis but a lot of bike racers suffer alwith sweat. Might b worth thinkin out the box.

i too am a very sweaty person, and have a similar issue to you - i wear glasses for an astigmatism - i tried contacts but couldnt get them into my eyes - even the optician had issues. currently my go to eye wear is a pair of Oakley M Frame 3.0 Si ballistic glasses along with a set of rx inserts. i wear a helmet as part of my loadout, hence it keeps the heat in even more. i have found that if i wear a bandanna under my helmet then i get less rain out on my glasses. just make sure that you wring it out after each game. or run it in cold water first - that helps.

i have seen some bandannas on ebay by a company Zan Headgear that seem to be quite good - they do regular, or vented, or you can get one that has a cooling strip in it. im yet to try one, but that might be a good idea.

basically the sweat is saturating your cap and then you get rain out on your glasses. but i know how ineffective you are with rain out - its as though you arent wearing your glasses :)

The Bandana is a good idea - I'll have to try this out

Lol... nice one :-) I remember these ads!

On a serious note, I would look at what there "more active" sports have to offer. We all know about tennis but a lot of bike racers suffer alwith sweat. Might b worth thinkin out the box.

Not a bad idea, I must take a look

OK - so I've seen bikers, cyclists, joggers and skiiers all have this problem. Based on what I've read - things that work for some, just don't work for others. So here is my three-pronged approach

1. I've ordered a "Cooldana" and a "HyperKewl" skullcap to prevent sweat getting into my eyes

2. The missus has one of these natural stone crystal deodorants that you wet and rub on - it's all natural so hopefully it doesn't cause irritation

Hopefully 1 + 2 and my ESS ICE Glasses with RX inserts will work

3. I've ordered DefogIT spray for my Bollé Twisters so hopefully that will help with those fogging up (although I'm not too optimistic here).

Another thought I've had is to adopt a switch strategy where I would carry 2 sets of goggles/glasses around. While you're wearing one, the others are drying off. Since you wouldn't need to wipe them, you would be able to switch quickly minimising the risk. The tricky part is what you do with your second pair. You could wear them on your head - might look a little funny though - anyone tried it?

Not a bad idea - only problem is that it's not exposed meaning it's not drying off. I suppose it's not too bad just giving them a wipe as you put them away

Once Uhave wiped them they will fully dry even if away. But I would wipe them with a cloth full of defog or fairy liquid and water.

• Head Moderator

I wear glasses but have yet to find a perfect airsoft set-up for wearing glasses or prescription inserts. I cannot wear contact lenses which would be ideal, so just go without the glasses and play the best I can. I get closer and then have more chance of hitting the opposition team, and in CQB that is de rigueur . I may have had a blue on blue once but the stairwell was dark!

• Supporters

I also have prescription inserts for my glasses (bolle trackers ) AND l also sweat like a pig but as an ex-biker I swear by bob Heath anti-fog , little squirt on both lenses and I'm fog and condensation free for a good couple of hours .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.