Buying from Japan on Holiday

rj1986

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

So I'm popping off to Tokyo for a couple weeks in the end of November.

I have my eye on some silly cheap TM gear over there and if i have the space and weight allowence in my case was going to pick one (or 2...or 3..) things.

Obviously they will be in the suitcase, but is it as simple as

1) Check with the airline it can be carried (Turkish airlines state that it's ok on the website, but will email them as well)

2) Write UKARA number on outside of sealed box

3) Declare it when checking in the bags upon depature

4) Go through the something to declare aisle at Gatwick with UKARA number and ID to hand - pay any customs that may be required.

Has anyone done this from JP/HK?

Thanks

Rich

Doing number 4 completely undoes the use of buying in Japan to start with.

Does that only apply if i buy over my personal threshold of £390?

SO if i buy less than that, it will be no duty? I imagine there will be a giant sticker on my suitcase so it will be pretty hard to sneak past surely?

And if i DO have to pay VAT and duty, it would still be cheaper than the UK. A TM L96 is about £110.

Defence = nothing to declare?

That's a good point - the UK Border force website doesn't mention anything about RIFs or antiques, replica's etc.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to declare it. I mean you can't technically import an RIF without a defence and I'd gp through goods to declare as it's better safe than sorry. If you don't need to declare it, then they'll let you through anyway

Yes, declare the goods. Else your case will be destroyed and you get exactly 0 airsoft toys. RIFs are illegal to import so your baggage will be held until you prove your defence (UKARA should work. But I'm not certain. If contact the airport as well to check) so it's best to make it abundantly clear to anyone opening the case that it contains an RIF which is being imported legally (don't advertise it on the outside of the case unless the airport/airline instructs you to)

I went with the intention of doing just this, so good luck. No doubt you have researched the shops via youtube etc but unless you have buddies in Tokyo or family you may find that navigating around Tokyo pretty tough. In Japan Airsoft is not that big as in Hong Kong for instance and so some places are pretty disappointing such as the shops under the rail track in Ueno. The Japanese are also uber crazy about rules and regs . It was hard enough even getting a wooden Katana on a Virgin flight never mind a real one.

I have a good/ the best AZ of Tokyo and a couple of Suica cards which I think have about10k Yen on if you are interested ? Happy to trade pehaps for a front sight for my TM PX4 if you can get your hands on one :D

I went with the intention of doing just this, so good luck. No doubt you have researched the shops via youtube etc but unless you have buddies in Tokyo or family you may find that navigating around Tokyo pretty tough. In Japan Airsoft is not that big as in Hong Kong for instance and so some places are pretty disappointing such as the shops under the rail track in Ueno. The Japanese are also uber crazy about rules and regs . It was hard enough even getting a wooden Katana on a Virgin flight never mind a real one.

I have a good/ the best AZ of Tokyo and a couple of Suica cards which I think have about10k Yen on if you are interested ? Happy to trade pehaps for a front sight for my TM PX4 if you can get your hands on one :D

Im staying just the other side of Ueno park, so i'm planning to trot down to First-JP and Echigoya in Akihabara.

This is all ifs and buts at the moment, as i imagine my suitcase will be full of Studio Ghibli, Pocci sticks and saki.

I went to HK years and years ago (before i was into airsoft, and about 9 so didn't really get it) and distinctly remember driving past Guns n Guys and just wanting to by everything.

I'm sure i saw more shops but have no idea. I'm planning to go back for a nice romatic holiday next year.... that just happens to coincide with the Hong Kong sevens and my mate's bar opening (don't tell the missus) ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update:

With what happened in Paris recently, i knocked the idea on the head (plus I've already bought too much crap), but i popped into Echigoya.

Quite busy with locals, and lots of toys.

3- 4 cabinets of pistols with about 150 models in each, and lots of boxed stock for AEGS and rifles. A few wall hangers, but most of the run-of-the-mill stuff was boxed ready to be sold.

Prices were good, to very good. A few i remembered doing man maths:

TM SCAR CQC- £220

TM Desert warrior - £55

G&P m249 Marine- Just under £300

VFC Mk12 GBB - £220-250 ish

Good thing is you know where you stand with prices in Japan.

In HK, i remember buying a camcorder years ago, and they mark up prices to reduce them down to mkae it look like you're getting a better saving (albeit still cheaper in the end than the UK), where as here- what you see is what you pay, no haggleing, no going about loads of other shops comparing etc

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.