Hi

Karen Clarkson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Welcome,

I've only recent my got into Airsoft in the last 3 months.

Word of advice, work on getting your UKARA as soon as possible, it's going to take 2-3 months for you to get registered, then you'll be ready for buying your first non-two toned RIF when the time comes.

The cost of a skirmish around here is about £25 so I'm happy to get a 2 tone gun at the moment. Certainly something for me to look into through the time though. Advantage of having the 2 tone gun means I can turn up at a skirmish when I feel like it and not tied to membership to a club. Disadvantage is it makes me an easy target at a skirmish because I'd be easily visable

Having UKARA doesn't tie you down to a single site. You can play anywhere, you can technically have and play with a non-two toned gun without UKARA but is generally not advised.

Also when you come to buying a gun you'll be spending £15+ on getting them to do the two-tone service without a UKARA defence.

Most people, myself included, rent until achieving UKARA and making sure we are into it before forking out for our own weapons and gear.

I assume you are renting the gear for the time being?

Welcome to the forum!

Having UKARA doesn't tie you down to a single site. You can play anywhere, you can technically have and play with a non-two toned gun without UKARA but is generally not advised.

This is not correct information. UKARA has nothing to do with ownership, and nothing to do with playing with a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF) airsoft gun. No technically(s), and bugger whomever is giving that advice.

Also when you come to buying a gun you'll be spending £15+ on getting them to do the two-tone service without a UKARA defence.

Several stores do free two-tone.

Yes I will be using site guns when I go.
Problem is I can't afford to go to a skirmish often enough to be able to get the ukara not-a-licence

You have 12 months from your first game at a UKARA* gamesite to play three games to be added to the database.

*even if a gamesite is not affiliated with UKARA that does not mean it is impossible to get on the database by playing there nor convincing a retailer to sell a RIF on the basis of applicable defence equal to ukara.

Problem is I can't afford to go to a skirmish often enough to be able to get the ukara licence

It's a common misconception that you need to go to three games within three two months. To be able to register for UKARA, you have to play three games in a period of OVER three two months. In other words, you have to prove you're a regular skirmisher for an extended period of time, and not that you've done three games in a short space of time. It means that someone can't decide they want a RIF and end up owning one legally within a week. As Sacarathe said, the time limit is twelve months, so there's no rush to get your games in.

• Head Moderator

It's a common misconception that you need to go to three games within three months. To be able to register for UKARA, you have to play three games in a period of OVER three months.

Taken from the UKARA website http://www.ukara.org.uk/player-registration.php

Player registration

To become a UKARA registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games in no less than two months at your local registered gamesite. You must be over 18 years of age and able to provide some form of identification such as Passport, Drivers License or Bank Statement.

So that is 3 games in no less than 2 months. Depending on site this is between 56 and 60 days. I played my 3 games in 57 days to qualify for site mebership, and annual membership cost £12, and then was able to use my mebership card and ID to purchase a RIF. Three occasions using a hire gun and thereafter my own RIF.

• Root Admin

Max is 12 months, but it seems site owners have some discretion here. Minimum between first and last is 2 months as you say.

Due to service commitments I cannot play enough times when at home on leave to qualify.

The time period over which you have to play your 3 games is at the discretion of the participating game site providing the 3 games are not played in a time that is less than 2 months, the maximum time period is 12 months.

http://www.ukara.org.uk/questions.php

So that is 3 games in no less than 2 months. Depending on site this is between 56 and 60 days. I played my 3 games in 57 days to qualify for site mebership, and annual membership cost £12, and then was able to use my mebership card and ID to purchase a RIF. Three occasions using a hire gun and thereafter my own RIF.

Whoops, sorry. It is indeed two months, not three. My mistake, it's been a while since I got mine. What I meant was that many people people read the terms as 'three games in less than two months', rather than 'three games in no less than two months'

• Head Moderator

That 2 month period really seems to drag, especially when you just want to get into the hobby but have to wait. However, it does mean that you have more time to think about, research, and ask advice about what first gun to buy. And it is not that long a period that you have to settle for a two-tone instead of purchasing a RIF. Although I felt like I had missed out on some good days of airsoft (did not want to hire more than necessary) it also meant that the RIF I wanted was back in stock.

• Moderators

Indeed Jedi, indeed, lucky for me my 1st was 11th July then summer holiday ban by wife allowed me to do next 2 in 4weeks, worth the wait if you can but it does seem that time stands still!!!

Now I'm holding back on 2nd RIF.

take your time and ask questions, try stuff before you make a decision....then go to a shop and change your mind!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.