What hop arm ?

Dannn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

More questions haha...

Hi all, this is the set up I'm building using a JG bar 10 base, I have a hop arm question, I will be using...airsoft pro cnc trigger, wide bore Edgi barrel with r-hop and Mancraft HPA conversion kit.

Question is what hop arm do you guys suggest that's most suited to give the most surface contact to an r-hopped barrel ?

• Root Admin

EdGI do wide bore barrels?

Depends on your window size, but if you're going for a heavy weight and extended window, the HSA M-nub is a good idea ontop of any hop lever (as you'll want to sand it/at a slight angle for a flat hop) but not always worth the hassle with the VSR arm. If not, the Biro mod really exists because of the VSR given its kind of 'split' hop arm. This is the same with the JG BAR, and is a good way to provide a slightly more even surface for the R-Hop patch.

You could buy the DangerWerx hop arm or - like I say - just do the Biro mod to get the same 'type B' flat surface. IIRC, the type A (i.e. two 'prongs'/split) design is best for flat hop up buckings and the type B (the flat/joined one) is best for W-hold type split buckings. The R-Hop isn't really either of these though as it's both very flat and also quite a long surface (indeed, that's the idea of the whole design).

That's why I'd recommend modifying the arm yourself and using an extended M-nub so the surface is as flat as possible. That's if you're wanting to lift very heavy weights, and by all accounts it's the strongest hop one can get these days. If you're going for around .30s-.40s I'd say stick with the standerd length R-Hop, and that means you could probably get away with a type B Biro mod. If you're going for an extended hop window for weights above .40s, I'd consider modifying the arm yourself to accommodate an extended M-nub as the standard hop arm just isn't going to spread that pressure correctly.

Cheers for the concise post

Yeah they'll make pretty much anything I think !

I'll be using .40's most likely but I'll try all the heavy weight ammo see what performes best.

I'll try modding the arm with an extend nub to start with, but I guess because of the design of the arm it's impossible to have a totally flat even pressure as it moves in an arc doesn't it?

I'm presuming that's one of the reasons the top dead centre mod has been invented ?

• Root Admin

That's the problem with the VSR arm - the fulcrum isn't far enough away for it too be close enough to lay flat, and the surface isn't brilliant either because - unlike some other hop designs - it's not a two-part hop arm or even sloped to try and mitigate that issue a bit. I've known of people to build it up with a small amount material to get it flat, but then you're limited to a small range of weights. That's why it may be best to try the Biro mod first as it's basically reversible even if you glue it.

You're right in that the dead top centre mod was made to solve this issue. I've seen a couple of people do it, but never tried it myself. Seems like a bit of a nuclear option, but frankly if you're going to spend 4-5 hours constantly shimming the nub to get it at just the right angle then it does seem like a viable option.

• Supporters

have you considered the Action Army hopup chamber?

i have one in my vsr, the only down side to them is unless you have done a TDC mod, its a pain to adjust the hop mid game. but if i am honest i dont tend to adjust my hop at all once i have it set.

Ive only looked at the PDI one and if in correct it's not compatible with Mancraft

I'll look at the AA one too,

Like proffrink says I might go with the biro mod firstly as its not permanent and see what hop and range I can achieve with that then if it's not working sufficiently might use an aftermarket hop.

I've just been doing a bit more research on the TDC mod and if I can get a nice looking spring loaded ajuster made up I may go down that route in the long term as I guess once I've settled on one brand and weight of bb I shouldn't need to ajust much, only to counteract wear in the hop rubber it's self

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.