Flat Hopping

Qlimax

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi all,

Wanted to ask some advice. So I’ve flat hopped a number of setups with no problems what so ever. But now I have an Orga I’ve done the process again but without shaving down the bucking. I’ve used the same Pro-win hop, same Namazu flat nub just a different barrel but for some odd reason when hop is applied it doesn’t come down flat it comes down at an angel. The left side comes down lower than the right which in turn is making my BBs curve to the left. I can only assume that for some odd reason the nub is catching the window. I was thinking of taking a dremel to the Pro-win hop window to make it slightly wider but wanted to see if other people have had this problem and if so what they did to fix it.

Chris AKA Qlimax

• Supporters

Had the same issue, ended up sanding down the sides of the nub because they were catching on the hop window.

I know you said you have used the nub before but it is worth checking. Namazu had a crap batch a while ago and there are still some kicking around. Its why I have gone over to the prommy flat nub.

What bucking is it?

• Supporters

I’m using a prommy purple bucking. The only problem I have with making a mod to the flat nub is the roller bar inside it don’t want that to catch and it’s too small to try file it down.

• Supporters

Never had that problem I just machine the bars at work. You could hold the bar in a set of mole grips if you need to. Might be easier just to file out the window on the unit if you haven't got the tools though.

If your using the bar on a 350fps gun then you can always remove it, its really only necessary on high fps builds and then your better off using the prommy black nub I find.

Edit. You will also benefit from the bar if using anything heavier than 0.3g bbs.

Hop being applied to one side of a BB is a common problem, it's probably one of the usual culprits causing your problem, nub catching one side of the hop window or something like that.

Otherwise, check your hop arm is fine and the barrel isn't twisted in the hop assembly (if it's twisted clockwise when looking I'm the direction of the BB travel, the nub might be catching on the edge of the barrel window)

• Supporters

Hop being applied to one side of a BB is a common problem, it's probably one of the usual culprits causing your problem, nub catching one side of the hop window or something like that.

Otherwise, check your hop arm is fine and the barrel isn't twisted in the hop assembly (if it's twisted clockwise when looking I'm the direction of the BB travel, the nub might be catching on the edge of the barrel window)

Think he is tech savvy enough not to make those mistakes.

• Supporters

No I'd checked the barrel window first to make sure it was in the right place. It's defo the nub not being pushed down right.

I've done something I really didn't want to do. I've glued the nub to the hop arm so make sure it's all seated right and trimmed the nub down ever so slightly, seemed ok now. Need to do some more testing but looks better.

Thanks for the reply gents.

I had the same issue, albeit not with the orga barrel. The prowin hop arm ever so slightly needs to be shimmed, I used a tiny bit of thing card on one side, worked a charm, no sanding needed :)

Had this with one prowin and 2 clones, one poly, one metal :)

• Supporters

No I'd checked the barrel window first to make sure it was in the right place. It's defo the nub not being pushed down right.

I've done something I really didn't want to do. I've glued the nub to the hop arm so make sure it's all seated right and trimmed the nub down ever so slightly, seemed ok now. Need to do some more testing but looks better.

Thanks for the reply gents.

If your going down the glue it on route modify the arm and use one of these.

http://airlab.parts/collections/hop-up/products/hsa-m-nub

Takes a bit more work but worth it.

• Supporters

If your going down the glue it on route modify the arm and use one of these.

http://airlab.parts/collections/hop-up/products/hsa-m-nub

Takes a bit more work but worth it.

Would one of those work with a Pro-Win unit ? I’ve seen those before but everyone seems to put them into hops which use those bigger hop arms !

• Supporters

Would one of those work with a Pro-Win unit ? Ive seen those before but everyone seems to put them into hops which use those bigger hop arms !

Just use the standard m nub and trim it to fit. You need to remove the bit off the hop arm that holds the standard nub. I just file it. Its fiddly and a bit trial and error but you can get good results.

Edit; heard tales of people using bits of an eraser to do this. I tried it and it came out crap but you never know.

• Supporters

Going to try the M nub in another barrel setup i think buddy.

i've resolved this. I've filed the hop window to make it a little wider and bought a new Prommy P. so far it's look good but need to bed the bucking in. I also need to make sure my Poppet Dwell is set right then i'll see :o)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.