FOGGING - PLEASE HELP

Rowed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

^^Yeah, the anti-fog coating of the newer generation of Bollé goggles does work very well at preventing fog build up, but the moisture in the air behind them doesn't go away - my Bollé Rush rain out to the point of being unusable in between 25-35mins, but the problem of distorted vision begins much sooner: 10-15mins. It's a real ball ache because they would be exceptionally good otherwise - they fit my head shape almost perfectly; the seal between the lens edges and my face is very good; the shape combines well with lower face masks; they are very light and comfortable; although the polycarbonate they are made from is particularly shiny, the lens shape produces very few internal reflections; and they're very cheap too - if only they made something very similar with a fan!

• Supporters

ok mad question but do you think the desert locus set up would be sufficient to keep both a pair of glasses (if they would fit under the goggles) and it's own lenses fog free?

I doubt they'll fit under the goggles. The desert locust is quite low profile.

I think they do prescription lens inserts rx inserts I think there called and the fans iv Hurd are quiter than the ESS fans but there is another make which are even quiter but I can't remember the make now but they don't accommodate for there own makes thermal lens

• Supporters

And even if they did, no, I doubt that the fan would keep the glasses lenses fog free until the glasses had warmed up so that the lenses were at the same temp or warmer than the moisture laden air around them, which could take some considerable length of time because air is not known for its ability to pass on heat, quite the opposite in fact. If you could warm the glasses up prior to putting them inside the goggles it would probably work though - maybe keeping them in a pocket with 4 chemical hand warmers, 1 on each side of each lens...

• Supporters

I think they do prescription lens inserts rx inserts I think there called and the fans iv Hurd are quiter than the ESS fans but there is another make which are even quiter but I can't remember the make now but they don't accommodate for there own makes thermal lens

Seriously, the ESS fans are barely audible even flat out.

Well i've just found a review on a website called military moron:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/eyewear.html

Judging by their description of the goggles they didn't have the fan installed "but in my opinion, it's not 'forced air' unless there's an active circulation system like a fan"

"The anti-fogging coating on the lens seemed to work quite well. When worn with a helmet, air cannot flow through as well because the top vents are right up against the brim of the helmet. My uncoated prescription inserts fogged up partially until the temperature stabilized, but the inside of the main lens never did."

So judging by this review it seems likely that this might be the solution i'm looking for but i'll need some serious thought before laying out that much cash to replace the mesh goggles i already use.

• Supporters

You'll really struggle to fit glasses underneath, prescription inserts however should be fine. The key to avoiding/minimising fogging is simple physics; moisture condenses on cold things. If your lenses are warm then less moisture will condense on them in the first place and the anti-fog coating won't have to work so hard. Put your eyepro on at the start of the day and KEEP IT ON, even the radiated heat from your face makes a difference.

Beyond that, a fan assist to keep the humidity down inside your goggles and some good detergent (that's all anti-fog spray is) on the lenses will bridge the gap. ESS turbofans are what I personally use for indoor/close quarters stuff where I want a full seal and massive coverage. For outdoor/woodland/etc stuff I use ESS Crossbow glasses or Oakley sunglasses, depending on how sunny it is!

• Supporters

Where did you get yours from, James? tactical-kit.co.uk are OOS and polimil only have them in black - i looked on esseyepro.com and they quote $180 + $26.46 shipping, so when you add 20% VAT and the courier bumrapage, it'll be over £170 :unsure:

You will not get glasses under the revisions, no chance. The RX insert is an option but I will warn you before you do it I find it was unusable for me. I learnt my lesson with the Bolle's and decided to go with polycarbonate anti fog coated lenses in my insert instead of the usual plastic. It didn't help. The insert is so close to my face that it touches my eyebrows, and the moisture from the my brows makes it onto the inserts directly and its an almost instant fog/distorted vision. I use contacts and its the only good solution for glasses wearers I know of, certainly for these goggles. They are expensive and despite being relatively happy I hesitated before I bought them as well. I am glad I did buy them, I haven't felt the need since to look for another solution beyond having a set of glasses for milsim games.

• Supporters

Where did you get yours from, James? tactical-kit.co.uk are OOS and polimil only have them in black - i looked on esseyepro.com and they quote $180 + $26.46 shipping, so when you add 20% VAT and the courier bumrapage, it'll be over £170 :unsure:

Got them on ebay for £80, the lenses were a complete write off but they're cheap enough to replace.

• 4 weeks later...

right guys a little update .. revisions ... hands down the best iv ever tried ... i run them with the dual thermal lens and some anti fog liquid too which I'm trying out seems to be working really good there super quite enough so that iv managed to sneak up on people and i even factor out hearing the fan now ill be running the go pro on my fast helmet soon so see how that deals with the noise. could not recommend them enough !

• Supporters

right guys a little update .. revisions ... hands down the best iv ever tried ... i run them with the dual thermal lens and some anti fog liquid too which I'm trying out seems to be working really good there super quite enough so that iv managed to sneak up on people and i even factor out hearing the fan now ill be running the go pro on my fast helmet soon so see how that deals with the noise. could not recommend them enough !

Which model of Revision goggles? Can we have a link, please?

• Moderators

as above, link please!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

just think you can help a lot of people!

Fan in the top he must be talking about the Revision Desert Locusts with a turbofan and the additional thermal lens available for it.

Guys ! , sorry i haven't been responding iv been all over the place with stuff but yes they are the Revision Desert Locusts goggles with the thermal lens i have noticed its getting quite scratched up easy so i might change my method of cleaning it i also run fogtech wipes and liquid solution with it too admittedly iv had to have the fan on full but then i put out a lot of body heat and sweat i know where a head band and balaclava to try and keep these levels down and disperse the heat and has helped a lot !

heres a link ...https://www.revisionmilitary.com/store/desert-locust/desert-locust-fan-goggle-essential-kit.html....

there are plenty of others out there too ess , i think fma have just released a kit the fan defo helps what i liked about the revision ones is the fan is super quite , managed to sneak up on people and get a few knife kills however i may have to sort something out with the go pro and the fan I'm not sure if its going to pick it up or not usually not unless theres some sort of vibration but I'm yet to run then with my tac helmet which ill be fully customising to fit with the helmet as there a bit iffy as to where the battery unit is placed

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.