FOGGING - PLEASE HELP

Rowed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, so this might be a long one but stick with me here , firstly my spelling a punctuation is all over the place so don't critisise me on that , iv recently got into airsoft really enjoy it playing all over the country with different game types , however fogging seems to be a massive issue of mine , before anyone suggests I'm not a fan of mesh but may consider them as a last resort

Ideally I'd like to be able to run a low profile goggle / glasses set up as I'm in the process of getting and building up a fast tactical helmet however goggles would suffice.

Things iv tried

Some cheap ess ones off eBay with muc off anti fog spray was shit

Washing up liquid ... Shit

Shaving foam ... Shit

Spit ... Mega shit

Been looking into x800 goggles as they have a different style design in the way the lens is brought forward away from the fame slightly but I here they still fog up

I'd like to find some anti fog stuff that's lasts at least a day

Iv Hurd of fogtec wipes are ment to be really good but I'm unsure how long they last any positive feedback would help iv also been advised to put a bandana around my forward to keep the sweat away.

Thank you

I found breathing out my nose really helped... My goggles steamed up, so after the game I wiped them, then proceeded for the next game to breathe out my nose, worked like a charm :)

My experience:

If I wear my fast helmet, I sweat more. So I tend to fog up more. Baseball cap hardly fog at all. I also use Muck off on my ess ice which works ok for me but if you wipe it out in the field with your glove u screwed. Better to stick to the anti fog wipes/cloths that come with the eyepro.

Bolle rush have some sort of coating which iv tried and work really well but they are the lowest acceptable safety grade rating and I'm not sure I would want to take a direct hit from a bolt action sniper rifle to test how good that rating is. Not worth risking your mince pies.

Nose breathing, blowing air down are good techniques to use. It all helps, but generally I always take my mesh goggles in my utility pouch because if it gets really bad can switch overr for the remainder of the game. I believe goggles fog more as they designed for large amounts of air to be passing through them? Like guys who jump out of planes n sh*t. As opposed to grown men who run around playing with toy guns. :)

• Head Moderator

Having goggles fog up is a recurring problem experienced by most of us at some time, and frequently asked here, so type the word 'fogging' into the search box and read through those threads.

Mesh often popular as they have good air flow and heats dissipates but like you I am not keen on them as the mesh plays havoc with my vision.

Randymanpipe has a good point about wearing helmets, they do cause more fogging as they make heat harder to escape, not so bad outside but indoors can be a pain. Nothing worse than not seeing what you are doing or where you are. I started off with the face mask and goggle combo with Fast helmet but still fogged using Bolle X1000. I now use the Dye I4 facemask which is best solution for me so far. The mask is shaped to keep breath away from eyes/lens but can still fog under a fast helmet as the top vents do not work as efficiently. No issues over a balaclava and beanie hat, where the mask is outside and the top vents are clear.

Fans can help with airflow, and the best goggles will be £100+ but worth it in the long run.

• Root Admin

Second the Cat Crap. Seems to last a bit longer than others I've tried.

Here's another thread where we discussed this: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/27833-anti-fog/

Jedi is right though. This is a well documented problem that you probably could have found the solution to a lot quicker with a search.

I have revision low profile goggles. They are an american make and cost me about 50 quid to get to my door. They have an anti fog coating on them, and come with a cloth. The cloth, like most runs out/drys up really fast. I put a tiny bit of washing up liquid on them the night before, smear it all over and wipe it off in the morning. This works great in all conditions ive been in so far.

They are very slim on the face and i use them with my fast helmet. I played at longmoor in them. It had rained the night before, was about 2 degrees in the morning. By lunch it has gotten hot as hell, and the trees and grass were steaming! The worst i had was a tiny bit of condensation at the very top of my goggles, that wiped off and didnt come back. Cannot recommend them enough!

Ok well there's a few thing I can try already cat crap seems to be pretty popular and when I tried the washing up liquid I just wiped on left for five mins then wiped off I never left them over night so that might make a difference leaving them on overnight I have a few lenses laying around so I'll try that on the side

As for the revision goggles I have seen some stuff on the web that they supply for military's all round the world and they have there own anti fog system , can you remember the model of the revisions ones your ordered deebo ?

Exoshield extreme low profile eyewear. Very comfortable. Only down side is they cannot swap the lens colour, but i have smoked ones and they are fine in sun, and i could see well enough in low light without a torch.

I've found FogTech ant-fog liquid to be the best available.

I've tried ESS' no-fog cloth, revision wipes, FogTech wipes but found their liquid to be unbeatable.

I drizzle it onto the inside lenses and shake them about to make sure all areas are covered. Don't wipe, leave for a couple of minutes and it'll have dried up- you'll be able to play for at least half a day if not slightly longer without them fogging if you keep your eye pro in the whole time (I find that taking them off and putting them back on means they fog but if they stay on they don't fog at all- not got a clue why).

I suppose it's just trial and error iv found what works for one person doesn't work for another I'm going to order some revision wipes some of that fogtec liquid and also some of that nano ocean spray with some different types of goggles and see what comes up I suppose I have been doing some reading and the dual thermal with a fan seams to work a treat but you sacrifice a low profile with that

• Supporters

The plain fact of the matter is that polycarbonate lenses always either fog or rain (those with anti-fog coatings get streaks/droplets), it's just a matter of when and whether the time it takes to happen to any given combination of goggle and treatment is compatible with your skirmish needs. The best combo I have yet come across was Revision Bullet Ants with the foam dust filters removed and treated the night before with FogTech liquid and polished in the morning with the cloth which comes with ESS goggles - that got me to lunchtime, but then i was not very fit so sweat was a major issue. Retreatment with FogTech &/or ESS cloth did not get me through a single 30-40min game after that and i switched to mesh.

ESS Turbofans are supposed to be the gold standard, but last time i looked they were about £150. I've tried some knock off ones and they did not work well at all. I have also tried some ACM goggles with a fan built into the side - not much cop either, but with the fan from a 2nd pair in the opposite side they are usable for a while - the main trouble with them is that they do not use a simple on/off switch to power them, there is some kind of power saving circuitry involved which is not very stable, nor does it work the same for both fans at the same time... very frustrating; I did try to simply bypass the circuitry however the motors do not work when powered directly, so i'm guessing the power saving malarky involves a voltage step-up.

The trouble with most "mesh" goggles is that they do not actually utilise mesh at all, but rather perforated sheet. I have found that the shadows this produces on your POV are very much more persistent than those produced by actual mesh made from interwoven wire - my best eyepro is homemade: ESS Advancer V12's with the polycarbonate lenses removed and replaced with mesh made from 0.71mm 316 Stainless Steel #8 mesh shaped so that it bulges outwards and each wire is bent at its end to loop around another, which means that it cannot deform by moving sideways in relation to those wires it crosses, because to do so would have to either make it longer or snap that end loop. After a few minutes it feels as if there is nothing at all in front of my eyes and although something can happen which will make my eyes involuntarily attempt to refocus close up on the mesh, bringing back shadows, they very soon disappear again...

I just CBA to explain again why a shattered BB fragment cannot damage your eyes through commercially available mesh - i've written it up in great detail several times on here, so a good search of fogging threads will find it eventually. But basically it comes down to this - it is simply not in any way ever, under any circumstances ever, possible for a site legal gun to produce a BB fragment which can both fit through mesh and damage your eye beyond that which is produced by windblown sand, ie if you don't rub it, it will do you no harm at all.

• Supporters

ESS knock offs are generally rubbish. I got mine (geuine ones) for £60 on ebay. They were old and the foam surround had perished so I've cleared it all off and replaced it with a neoprene one instead made from self adhesive sheet. They are fantastic but you need to keep them clean otherwise they can still fog slightly when worn in the rain by a fat sweaty git like me.

Thing is, some of us just don't like mesh. Regardless of how safe they actually are.

Wow that's lucky , iv sent a few emails out to get a price posted to the uk I think they come with a good Warrenty on them anyway which we covered the foam however I could be wrong and if you brought them second hand this would not apply yer they come with a cleaning cloth anyway don't they and a cover how do you regulate the fan do you have it on when you need it .. Run with it on low all the time then turn it up when you need it ... ?? Mesh is a total no go for me I'm affraid ess turbo fans it is ha ... Also seen a few people commenting on removing the top part of the foam padding just to clear it that extra bit more

• Supporters

Don't think you'll find the warranty covers the foam. I enquired and they wouldn't sell the new foam surround as a spare part either.

• Supporters

Arh thats a bitch how do you control the fan then have it on per mentally orrr?

There's a control on the battery holder. Off, low speed and high speed. I usually have it on full chat because it doesn't actually take much power and makes minimal noise.

I had a similar problem when I started. I had a pair of Bolle Raiders that while sealing fully fogged really very fast and I sweat really impressively! I tried a variety of things and in the end decided I was just going to try the turbo fan solution.

I looked into all the different options and I decided to go with the Revision Desert Locusts because they were lower profile than the ESS ones and the reliability of the others seemed to be quite questionable. I haven't been sorry. The noise isn't a problem in anywhere but in the Bunker in South london as the fan is quite quiet and people don't notice when stood next to you in the woodland. They are expensive but it stars to solve the fundamental problem of trapped hot humid air from your face and cooler air on the outside which is what causes the fogging, no magic spray can fix that fundamental problem yet its just physics. The Revisions also have an optional thermal lense solution that you will want to get and you will also want the Revision anti fog wipes. You can still overpower the fans ability to clear the goggles and the wipe will help bridge the gap and you'll use one for a game day.

I am not saying the turbofan solution is 100% perfect, nothing can be but there isn't anything that handles it better and ensures no BBs or fragments make it to your eyes.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.