A few questions from a newbie

DareDemon666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I've got a few questions about assorted airsoft topics and this seemed to be the appropriate place to ask them.

1. I Like the look and feel of gas blow back but I've heard many different things about it's performance. I've heard that gas guns stop working when approaching 0°C, I've also heard that gas guns can perform even in -20 but they're incredibly inaccurate (something to do with the hop-up rubber?). If someone could set the record straight that'd be great! I don't want to invest in a gas rifle to find out it can't cope with a British summer!

2. I quite like the idea of Mil-Sim games. I've heard about several day events in the welsh countryside and such and they sound great. I'd like to try it out some day when I've got my own guns and stuff but I don't really know where to start. If someone could point me in the right direction, perhaps some reasonably local (I live in Bristol) Mil-Sim sites or organisations that'd be fantastic!

3. Finally is there any major pitfalls to avoid I should know about? I've played a few games in Bristol but I haven't invested in any of my own kit and I am still picking up the basics. I've been told that if I am serious about it I should get a UKARA license so I can buy some gear and stop having to rent it so I am planning to organise that soon!

Any help is great! I'm trying to gather as much info as I can so that I can get a good experience and who better to ask than the community!

Cheers, DareDemon666

Hi,

I've got a few questions about assorted airsoft topics and this seemed to be the appropriate place to ask them.

1. I Like the look and feel of gas blow back but I've heard many different things about it's performance. I've heard that gas guns stop working when approaching 0°C, I've also heard that gas guns can perform even in -20 but they're incredibly inaccurate (something to do with the hop-up rubber?). If someone could set the record straight that'd be great! I don't want to invest in a gas rifle to find out it can't cope with a British summer!

2. I quite like the idea of Mil-Sim games. I've heard about several day events in the welsh countryside and such and they sound great. I'd like to try it out some day when I've got my own guns and stuff but I don't really know where to start. If someone could point me in the right direction, perhaps some reasonably local (I live in Bristol) Mil-Sim sites or organisations that'd be fantastic!

3. Finally is there any major pitfalls to avoid I should know about? I've played a few games in Bristol but I haven't invested in any of my own kit and I am still picking up the basics. I've been told that if I am serious about it I should get a UKARA license so I can buy some gear and stop having to rent it so I am planning to organise that soon!

Any help is great! I'm trying to gather as much info as I can so that I can get a good experience and who better to ask than the community!

Cheers, DareDemon666

Ukara is a retailers organisation not a license. Can't help you very much but it's worth getting your ukara before buying a gun so you don't need two tone (you don't actually need a ukara to buy a rif but that's what most people ask for :))

• Head Moderator

Welcome.

1. Gas does not work as well at lower temperatures, science magic. UK summer is fine but winter less so. GHK G5 is probably rated as the best gbbr due to its magazine. It is difficult to measure fps, due to temperature variance.

2. Use search function on the forum, been a few recent threads on subject. Remember Wales is wet :)

3. Airsoft is not cheap, and there is always something that catches your eye to buy. Get site membership, added to UKARA database (not licence), start buying RIFs, enjoy the sport.

1. Ok so guns wills till work just not as well in the cold.

2. Will do. On the subject of Wales being wet, I know all too well! Spent as much time in Sennybridge and the Brecon Beacons as I have at home it feels like! I suppose that would mean AEGs aren't a good idea?

3. Ok so it's like a UKARA membership for players then? Sounds like the best idea, don't want to be running about with a bright orange rifle!

Cheers guys!

1. Gas guns.

3. It's not even a membership, its a database maintained by a retail association in order to prove to the homeoffice et al, that all the Realistic Imitation Firearms they've sold were to people who had, subject to a prior consultation with the govt, proven that they were airsoft skirmishers/reinactors to a degree that is believed to satisfy the defences in the VCRA2006 to the sale, import and manufacturing of Realistic Imitation Firearms.

It protects the retailers (and everyone else), from breaking that law at the point of sale of any Realistic Imitation Firearms. It is also needed for import and converting a [two-tone] into a RIF without breaking the law.

It's not even like a license because when it comes down to it UKARA is just a way to prove you (until it's tested in court) have a defence to the VCRA2006, it is not a requirement* for importing/manufacturing/selling, but it's the most popular and easiest to work with, and the most expediant if you're shipping them into the UK as a private individual.

*Note, you do require a defence, but it does not have to be UKARA.

Hi,

As Jedi says, Gas guns are less powerful with lower temperatures. They still work but will be a bit more temperamental. They're great fun though. They're also more expensive to run and require more maintenance. Although I have one myself I'd still recommend an AEG as a first gun.

To start, go to your local site and rent for 3 games over a period of at least 2 months. Assuming you're over 18 then you're eligible to be added to the Ukara database by becoming a member of that airsoft club. Get yourself a rifle, decent eye-pro that you're happy with and some outdoor boots. Everything else can come along in slow time as you discover what your want and what you don't want.

I know this will sound terrible. But, when you order from fire support. They do a really bad paint job (This is good). And the paint rubs off easily, thus being true, if you just hold the gun tightly, the paint will come off. Removing the unrealistic paint. This is bad and wouldn't recommend doing this, but, you won't get in much trouble. Though I think it is illegal..

Ok sounds good.

So to clarify, I need to play 3+ games within 2 months, then I can get a membership with the site which in turn will allow me to get on the UKARA database and then I'm all set to buy an RIF?

Thanks for the help guys!

Also just out of interest, I've seen people with ACOGs and Full size scopes on their guns before and I just wondered if there was much point in a magnified optic considering the effective range of an airsoft gun. I know some scopes don't actually have magnification and are just for show but not all of them are.

2x magnification I think I could justify but 4x plus?

Also just out of interest, I've seen people with ACOGs and Full size scopes on their guns before and I just wondered if there was much point in a magnified optic considering the effective range of an airsoft gun. I know some scopes don't actually have magnification and are just for show but not all of them are.

2x magnification I think I could justify but 4x plus?

Usually if it's an ACOG, Elcan or similar on a standard AEG, it's most likely an unmagnified red dot housed within an ACOG replica.

People who've invested time and money into creating setups which can reach out to longer ranges will probably be using slightly magnified optics as they usually provide a decent guide for their fall of shot. Not too much of an issue but if you've got a sniper rifle firing out to 70m or so you'll want to see where that little 6mm plastic ball went down the other end.

Of course there's always the idiots who think that by adding a 10-20x telescopic sight to their standard AEG will magically increase it's range.

Depends what sort of site you intend to play most Demon, I play a lot of woodland and have had Charlene tuned to be firing at the maximum 350fps and rock. 25bb's. Making her pretty darn accurate at mid-long range. I also use a X4 acog with back up angled iron sites for any stragglers that wander in too close for the acog's zoom.

The X4 is such a help outside I would highly recommend it. You can follow the bb's trajectory further and adjust accordingly. It also comes in handy for spotting enemy and identifying armband colour etc.

For indoors/cqb I have a X1 red dot a magnification is useless.

Hope this helps?

• Root Admin

I know this will sound terrible. But, when you order from fire support. They do a really bad paint job (This is good). And the paint rubs off easily, thus being true, if you just hold the gun tightly, the paint will come off. Removing the unrealistic paint. This is bad and wouldn't recommend doing this, but, you won't get in much trouble. Though I think it is illegal..

Please don't say stuff like this to new players.

• Moderators

Maybe a quick mod removal.....give me the power!!,

I was tempted by a 2t and when all done and databased, by the other parts or paint it black....just held off, ordered all for 3rd game delivery and off I went, like a bull in a china shop!!!

Rent and experience different rifs, you'll be surprised and may change your ideas.....

I'm off to get another ICS cxpuk1 long....wife got a dyson so I get a gun!

Thanks for the help. I live about 10 mins from an urban CQC site but I also frequent a woodland site too. I think I would mostly opt for the CQC site since when Iinvest in my own gear I can do fine with a pistol or SMG indoors and then when/if I start investing into Mil-Sim I don't have to make a perfectly good weapon redundant. The pistol just becomes my side-arm, Save myself some money!

The concept of a reflex or red dot seems appropriate in a CQC environment regardless of range, as for woodland and outdoors I shall have to borrow or hire a magnified optic to see how I like it I guess.

Cheers guys, great help!

Thanks for the help. I live about 10 mins from an urban CQC site but I also frequent a woodland site too. I think I would mostly opt for the CQC site since when Iinvest in my own gear I can do fine with a pistol or SMG indoors and then when/if I start investing into Mil-Sim I don't have to make a perfectly good weapon redundant. The pistol just becomes my side-arm, Have more money to spend on other airsoft stuff!

The concept of a reflex or red dot seems appropriate in a CQC environment regardless of range, as for woodland and outdoors I shall have to borrow or hire a magnified optic to see how I like it I guess.

Cheers guys, great help!

Fixed :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.