New guy from Essex

Paul 8v
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm new to the site and I thought I'd put a quick post on here to introduce myself, I'm thinking of getting into airsoft and I'm just looking to find a bit of information out on what venues are worth playing at and the sort of gear I would need.

I don't really want to jump in two feet first and spend thousands of pounds to start off with but at the same time I'd rather buy a few bits of essential kit that were good quality so I don't have to replace them at a later date. (I also don't want to spend too much as we're trying to move to a larger house at the moment!)

With regards to venues I believe there is a site near Brentwood and Bunker 51 in London isn't too much of a drive either, what are people experiences of both of these? I'm actually based in Maldon in Essex so sites in Suffolk wouldn't be too far either. I'd prefer to hire a gun if the site has the facilites to do so as I'd ideally like to try a game before I commit to buying a gun, I've played quite a few paintball games before and I've enjoyed that but never airsoft.

With regards to kit, at the moment I can muster together a milltary style hat, cammo shirt, combat trousers, decent boots, paintball gloves and a Claymore bag to keep spare magazines in, would this be sufficent for a game or is more realism required? (I've done some re-enacting before and people are VERY picky about what is authentic and what isn't!) I would prefer to have the most realistic kit possible but it's a massive outlay to buy all the kit at once. The end look I would like to go for is a US ranger or similar but I'd rather concentrate on getting a decent gun first. (This would be an M4 for a Ranger I assume?)

One of my other interests is mountain biking and I already own some Oakley motorcross goggles, would these be OK for airsoft, they're designed to have stones flung at them so I would assume so but I'd rather check first before using them. I've also got some knee pads, I've seen quite a few pictures of people wearing them but I wasn't sure if this was for aesthetic reasons to portray a particular uniform or not.

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

• AF-UK Founding Member

Welcome to the forums :)

I'd recommend trying out both the sites near to you as it's often a case of personal opinion assuming the site is run well.

No one will be fussy about what you wear, you don't have to wear any military gear if you don't want to.

Goggles are a bit of an iffy one, they make be OK, but likely aren't certified for BB's hitting them so I'd go for something for specific.

You might want to post your questions in the general discussion forum as not all members will venture in here to say hello, as polite as they all are :P

Thanks Devastator, I'll put up a seperate post about the gear then, are there many people from Essex on here by the way?

Welcome to the forums :)

I don't know about the forums but Im pretty sure there are many airsofters in Essex as Ive been there many times despite living in Hertfordshire.

Archived