Gas Valves

Skippy77

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had a couple of Gas Valves fail on the weekend whilst skirmishing. One valves is from a Cheap HFC gg107 1911 and a KJ Works Socon MK23 mag both use green gas.

What type of valves can I use or is there a you tube page to repair these?

• Root Admin

Are we talking fill valves or output valves? Do you know where the leak is coming from? Could be the base plate as well. Perhaps the old soapy water test would be handy.

Either way, it's generally just an o-ring. Even the cheapest of pot metal valves don't tend to break where the springs or actual metal are; you've probably just blown a seal.

Without seeing it I couldn't advise on compatibility (probably couldn't even if I did), but I can say that a generic small o-ring set of decent quality (I prefer Nitrile but many just use normal rubber) will be able to fix it up. If you don't want to do that, then this at least will provide you with what you need to fix your KJW magazine: http://www.leesprecision.com/collections/all-repair-rebuild-kits/products/o-ring-repair-kit-for-kj-works-pistol-magazines

Remember, always keep your magazines gassed slightly when storing them. Don't expel all of the gas at once and be sure to disassemble and lube them at least once every two games.

http://www.leesprecision.com/collections/all-repair-rebuild-kits/products/o-ring-repair-kit-for-kj-works-pistol-magazines

Remember, always keep your magazines gassed slightly when storing them. Don't expel all of the gas at once and be sure to disassemble and lube them at least once every two games.

By disassemble, you mean remove the bottom screw and split in half? I've not seen this advice previously, though I do use the maintenance gas.

Thanks for the info, it's the fill valves and yes the o-ring has popped out. I've been told it's a full strip job but not sure how to do this.

Surely some one must sell these for a couple of quid each, rather than taking a small valve apart and putting it all back together.

• Root Admin

By disassemble, you mean remove the bottom screw and split in half? I've not seen this advice previously, though I do use the maintenance gas.

Just to the point where you can get to all the seals. Usually this means everything though - fill valve, outlet valve and also the base plate.

Maintenance gas is good, but at some point you should be disassembling to clean the o-rings apart from anything. When depends on so many variables that I'd advise every two games, but you can certainly get away with much longer than that.

Thanks for the info, it's the fill valves and yes the o-ring has popped out. I've been told it's a full strip job but not sure how to do this.

Surely some one must sell these for a couple of quid each, rather than taking a small valve apart and putting it all back together.

The o-ring can't 'pop out' of the fill valve unless it's the 'silent-fill' one (which shouldn't have a baring on the overall reservoir seal). This leak you're getting, is this only when filling or continuous?

Just to the point where you can get to all the seals. Usually this means everything though - fill valve, outlet valve and also the base plate.

Maintenance gas is good, but at some point you should be disassembling to clean the o-rings apart from anything. When depends on so many variables that I'd advise every two games, but you can certainly get away with much longer than that.

As it's a gas pistol, i'll just roll with, if it breaks buy another. Though I think my next pistol will not be a TM, the retailers charge far too much for the magazines. I do disassemble clean and lube the gun after every game. Including spraying into the ejection port while a mag is in.

• Root Admin

Most of the time a fix is just the o-rings. Even if you don't feel like risking it with a generic set, Lees does premade sets which will do 3-4 repairs for £5. A simply valve key (another £5) and you're away. Certainly try maintenance gas first, but even the TM mags (with the exception of a few) are tough as old boots and just need the occasional replaced seal. Once you have two or three you're good for years.

If you want to throw it away then I'll buy it from you. Easy fix :)

Most of the time a fix is just the o-rings. Even if you don't feel like risking it with a generic set, Lees does premade sets which will do 3-4 repairs for £5. A simply valve key (another £5) and you're away. Certainly try maintenance gas first, but even the TM mags (with the exception of a few) are tough as old boots and just need the occasional replaced seal. Once you have two or three you're good for years.

If you want to throw it away then I'll buy it from you. Easy fix :)

Hah, I lost one of my three at an airsoft game, though personally I think someone nicked it. Jokes on them if they did it was my only leaky one. I think that philosophy is more down to what ive been told by retailers, and we know why they might say that.

I've found amazon selling a KJ Works version. Although not similar to the one I have it states will fit all KJW mags.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/sports/dp/B00I45D8G6

There are two types so far I've found an A & B valve ones 5.4mm and the other is 6.4mm

• Root Admin

There's no need if the issue is what I think it is - simply the silent-fill o-ring dropping out and he thinks it's leaking. They can be replaced very easily. Even if it's not that, removing and disassembling the fill valve is a 30 second job and it's just a single spring and second o-ring inside (again, an easy fix).

Not one that requires a complete replacement of the part I should think. These gasses are never at a high enough pressure to even warp brass in such a small vessel, so 99% of the issues people have are seal-related and shouldn't need anything more than some lube or (in the worst case) a new seal (i.e. o-ring or gasket). Generally you're only going to see wear on the metal where it's been dropped or over really extended periods of time (I'm talking 3+ years).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.