Beginner!

mao2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Of course being a fan of Tokyo Marui, I prefer this one:Marui M4 CRW high cycle AEG At £299

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-high-cycle-m4-crw-airsoft-gun-aeg

Great for CQB but shite for woodland.

High cycles have a high rate of fire but low fps. In woodland you want to use 0.25g

bbs minimum preferably even heavier if you can so a higher fps is preferable. High cycle average about 270 fps with 0.2g so about 240fps with 0.25g bbs. You would need to be a precog to hit a moving target with anything heavier.

• Head Moderator

Of course, I would consider this a two-tone gun, or one in desperate need of a paint job ;)

• Supporters

Of course, I would consider this a two-tone gun, or one in desperate need of a paint job ;)

Nope its gorgeous only gun thats black and tan that looks good. Only gun with tan on that looks good to be honest.

Now to wait for all the Scar owners to come out the woodwork. ☺

• Head Moderator

Nope its gorgeous only gun thats black and tan that looks good. Only gun with tan on that looks good to be honest.

Now to wait for all the Scar owners to come out the woodwork. ☺

No, they will stay in the shadows where those monstrosities cannot be seen! Pulls out the pin and steps back ...

• Moderators

Got a ICS CXP UK1 from fire support at the weekend....popped to the shop looking for a few things and came out with that on order in september, rear wired one though. Stock pretty tight and can't push it right back....I'll work on it

Would recommend though going to the shop, bit out of the way but worth it, you can take my son if you want, he'll try and get you to buy a SAW!!!

• Moderators

Nope, Cambridge, sites for me, Urban Assault, and soon to try Tuddenham and RIFT Cottenham....just to use my old woodland BDUs haha....and it's 5 mins away

Are you allowed any size bbs? Or are you limited?

Standard BBs are 6mm in diameter, the main variable is their weight. This can be anything between 0.20g to 0.40g and above.

In normal AEGs, 0.25g BBs are brilliant. The advantage heavier BBs bring is the amount of kinetic energy they can hold.

While this means that the gun's projectile velocity is lower with 0.25s than it is with 0.20s, with 0.25g BBs you may have a range advantage due to the amount of energy the BBs will have at their max range compared to lighter BBs.

It's always good to keep a pot or bottle of 0.20g BBs with you, as you may be required to have your gun's muzzle velocity checked on site so that the marshals can make sure your gun is within the safety limits.

Depends what floats your boat I guess, I don't actually like the look of the ape, I'm more of a hog man B)

So basically, I'll need 0.25g bbs and a few .20g for tests? How frequently do sites test fps? And is it difficult to adjust the fps? If I ask the shop to set the limit to 350fps, will it stay like that or does it need to be maintained?

• Head Moderator

So basically, I'll need 0.25g bbs and a few .20g for tests? How frequently do sites test fps? And is it difficult to adjust the fps? If I ask the shop to set the limit to 350fps, will it stay like that or does it need to be maintained?

Every site should chrono your guns before play starts to make sure they are within the site limits. Fps limits are set for 0.20g bb. Marshalls can also randomly test the fps of a gun during the day, or if report of player using a hot weapon, .i.e. Above fps limit.

Generally you can only get in trouble if you gun is firing above the FPS it had when it was tested at the start of an event day, this normally can only because 'someone' has tampered with it in the intervening time.

Generally FPS is not recorded at test time beyond "that gun was below X". Some sites do however have limits dead on 328 or 340, it is not always 350 for an automatic gun.

If you avoided the chronograph, or missed it, it is your responsibility to ensure you are chrono'd. Do not miss it.

• Head Moderator

Chronometers are made by different companies and so your own chrono at home may differ from the one at site A, and that differs to site B. The one used by the site you are going to play on is the one that counts, it is their upper safety limit, so fps not to be exceeded. If you are slightly over, then you get a chance to tweek the gun yourself (it is your responsibility to meets their requirements). That is why turning up early enough at the site helps by getting through chrono early. Any hot gun should not be allowed to play, although you may have option to hire one of theirs.

Short answer: when buying a RIF in UK you can ask for a lower powered spring to bring down FPS, or ensure it is below a certain FPS limit. See the recent thread in Electric Guns about 'Retailer FPS Downgrades'

That is why I like TM guns, low fps out of the box and no need to change springs.

Right, are downgrades normally available through shops? Is it generally done free or more of an add on? Is it safer to go with a lower FPS? Such as 300 or do you ask them to set it to about 350 and hold your breath? My local site has a 350 limit zfor any automatic weapon

Am I able to purchase a rif without ukara from FireSupport? Or will they check defence?

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry so much, ok i did!, do your 3 games and get your number, saves the 2 tone method for the sake of a few weeks wait

Where are you based, can you get to Peterborough easily and pop in the store?

I popped in and changed my choice, was told the cxp-uk1 was about 325 ish out of the box so fine. It was firing between 315 - 321 on Saturday so I guess about right. Will be a good idea to see and handle others

And fire support handle UKARA for our area I believe, I got my number less than 24 hours after submitting it :)

• Moderators

Yeah, 0.2s, I have a few thousand though to use up first. So will set up for them. Tbh, at urban, it's close range most of the time so the weight I doubt has any affect?, more experienced players can help out more with that though

I will try 0.25s at a later date.

Take your time with your choice unless you have an idea, I wanted a standard M4 but got the one you saw.

Good to go into the shop or another, just to have a feel and see them in the flesh

Where you based anyway, combat Thetford is about 40mins, isn't it also a paintball site?

• Root Admin

Some urban/CQB sites enforce the use of only lighter BBs because of Joule creep. The heavier weights also preserve energy whilst in flight better than lighter ones (I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread) and that's primarily why you really want to be using .25s as they're the near-perfect balance between how quickly your BB is going to reach its target (essentially making it easier to 'lead' when people are moving) and their superior energy conservation when compared to .20s (so it drops off much later).

I've been trying .30s recently and they're slow in the air, but in theory they should go on and on.

Problem is, a lot of people mistake heavier BBs for people cheating. I've seen this happen a few times as being hit with a 0.20 BB at 20m will be a lot less felt than being hit with a 0.30 BB at 20m despite the fact that they were both crono'd on .20 at 350fps at the start of the day.*

*I should say though that crono-ing GBBRs and HPA systems with .20 is one of the silliest things sites do because it leaves them wide open to Joule creep. Maybe a topic for another time.

tl;dr: 0.25s should really be used as a baseline standard for the majority of players, but some people like .20s because they get to the target quicker and are a little cheaper (even if they don't go as far).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.