A few questions from a new airsofter!

Bluegill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Can't stop reading threads on this forum as they're so informative! Excellent stuff! Great to find a forum that's not just full of nonsense but is decent, well mannered, helpful and good fun. I hope to ingratiate myself into the community in time (I'll post my feeble loadout soon :lol:)

Anyway, more to the point there are a couple of things that I'd be grateful if someone could clarify for me!

First point - My guns. I have a Tokyo Marui AUG and a Classic Army M4. I bought them from an Army Surplus store with just ID a few years ago, there was no question of UKARA membership. Was this because UKARA became necessary later than I bought them or were the shop owners just very irresponsible to sell them to me? Neither of the guns are two-tone...

Secondly, when I do turn up to my first game of airsoft, what's the deal with my guns? I've read that I may be limited by FPS on my guns but I have no idea how to 'chrono?' them and probably need to do that. How do I go about that then? Will I be allowed to shoot my non-two-tone guns in the games or is the UKARA thing only applicable to PURCHASING weapons?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but thought there was no better place to ask ;)

Cheers!

Nick

• Supporters

1. Pre october 2007 everything is fine. UKARA only restrics purchase of RIF's and was introduced october/november 2007. seeing as you already have the guns, even if they were post 2007, you can keep them RIF

2. All sites will chrono your guns, most run either a 328FPS limit (1Joule) or 350FPS (it's nice and round) using a .2Gram BB (standard BB weight)

Neither of your guns should be above the site limit

3. Welcome to the forums :D

Welcome!

On regards your ownership & buying of them - it depends upon when you bought them. If it was pre VCRA (mid of 2007), you're fine (to own them).

If you bought them after the VCRA...I don't really know. It depends on if the shop knowingly sold them to a non registered player, whether the shop was UKARA (or similar) registered, etc.

Chronoing happens pre-game on site. Or (if you have around £150 spare) you can buy your own chrono - I'm not really sure if it's worth it. If your FPS is too high, the sight might let you borrow one of their rentals for free (if not, they'll probably force you to pay for rental)

As for you using them, without UKARA, you should be ok. The sight might not be happy, not sure. Seems to be different at various sights.

Once again, welcome!

*edit - Damit Dave! Ninja'd*

Cheers guys,

Yeah I bought both of them before 2007 so I guess I could just explain that I bought them pre-UKARA and see what they say. I suppose if not, I can hire or buy a two-tone, just seems a shame to have 2 sweet AEG's and have to leave them at home! Thanks for info re: Chrono, I'll look into that. I'm sure some mates have got something similar.

Cheers!

P.S Hubert, is that a red two-tone in your pic? Looks awesome!

• AF-UK Founding Member

You're very unlikely to be questioned about the fact you have an RIF, if you are just explain to whoever that you got them before the VCRA came in. There's nothing wrong with it at all so enjoy them! :)

Cheers guys,

Yeah I bought both of them before 2007 so I guess I could just explain that I bought them pre-UKARA and see what they say. I suppose if not, I can hire or buy a two-tone, just seems a shame to have 2 sweet AEG's and have to leave them at home! Thanks for info re: Chrono, I'll look into that. I'm sure some mates have got something similar.

Cheers!

P.S Hubert, is that a red two-tone in your pic? Looks awesome!

I was wrong, you can get a chrono for under £100, but it's out of stock - http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Big-Dragon-...raph_ASC9T.aspx

The whole sites not letting you use RiF if you're not registered - could just have been that the two sites I saw with this policy were particularly harsh, as I've only seen the rule on two sites. You could phone/email a site before you go, and explain your situation.

Red two-tone - cheers! :) It's the colour that Fire-Support do two-tones in, whilst it's meant to be red, it looks more crimson or terracotta. I was expecting it to be awful - but I like the red that much, I'm thinking of keeping it (I should be UKARA'd by the end of this month)

• Supporters
Secondly, when I do turn up to my first game of airsoft, what's the deal with my guns? I've read that I may be limited by FPS on my guns but I have no idea how to 'chrono?' them and probably need to do that. How do I go about that then? Will I be allowed to shoot my non-two-tone guns in the games or is the UKARA thing only applicable to PURCHASING weapons?

Wouldnt worry about your FPS, tokyo marui's tend to conro at around 280ish and classic armies around 310ish :D

Thanks for all the correspondence guys, I think the best thing to do is ask the site before hand about the guns. Chances are it seems they'll probably be fine about it but better to be safe than annoyed when I arrive :D

Archived