Alternative to UKARA

James Flynn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Me and my dad do some work at a museum on an RAF base and they have loads of guns on display but some are missing or too damaged to display. Everyone was talking about buying deactivated ones but the costs would be way too high so I suggested using airsoft guns, obviously you don't want to put two tone guns on display so my question is how do you prove that you work for a museum when you go to purchase a RIF?

thanks in advance

• Root Admin

I know a chap that's an armourer with the metropolitan and keeps a bunch of seized weapons (airsoft and others) on display. Most are from customs seizures, but they have been known to keep some for training. I can't imagine any retailer would have any issue with selling guns to a museum.

As for proof, well a reference or just using the museum's postal address would probably be enough.

• Supporters

yeah retailers will sell to a museum if you provide the relevant documents to show that's what they are being bought for. I know someone who did it but for re-enactment purposes and he just needed proof and I.D to verify his age.

Look up your local airsoft dealer shop, go along & talk to whoever's in charge (as everyone tells you something slightly different)

But I can't see why they shouldn't if you can take I.D & maybe a couple of wage slips

I would of thought proof of employment at the museum should be enough?

• Supporters

Dont think proof of employment would cover it otherwise no museum employee who plays airsoft would ever need to get a site membership. You need to get the museum to draft a letter explaining that they are for display/collection purposes then take that along to a shop. If they accept it as a defence then they will probably want to be able to contact the museum to verify and maybe even deliver the items as some sort of proof of where they are going.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.