G&G V2 Gearbox Spec

Hegs44

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

I have G&G CM 16 SR. Has a " V2" gearbox.

I'm pre-planning upgrades of cyclinder, piston head and maybe gears and bushings etc

I would like to know what the current spec is of the internals of the stock gearbox.

Not found anything on open source.

ie. Ratios ? Piston teeth ? Bushing size ? Etc

Don't want to open it all up yet to apply micrometer.

Thanks

Or I just get a whole new quick change gear box with all the bells and whistles pre done.

Suggestions.

#ItsOnlyMoney

• Supporters

8mm bronzey bushings usually on 99% of them

(FireHawk has 8mm bearings for some reason)

These softer bronzey bushins do wear so replace with shs bushings over time

Gear ratios are "usually" 18:1 - though oddly FireHawk seems to be 21:1

most gearboxes use 18:1 as stock std gears - a few makes may use 16:1 but reckon 85% use 18:1

(some other types like L85's M14's may use 21:1 gears in longer stroke gearboxes but 18:1 is the "norm")

Piston is a 16 tooth type - well sometimes referred as a 15 tooth if 2nd tooth is removed/missing for AoE

But it is still a 16 tooth piston really coz sector gear has 16 teeth on std aeg gearbox

Think the cylinder spec is about 72mm x 23.8mm internal diameter - yup think that is about it I guess

screws to open G&G v2's are located on opposite side to a std non blowback box

don't know why but G&G put screws underneath on regular v2's - though think blowback's are on top

screws 90% will be allen key types - but some are still the odd phillips screws

Upgrades......

double o-ring cylinder head

o-ring nozzle

new piston head - better plastic one

cylinder - usually fine unless port is incorrect

Correct AoE, sorbo/neoprene pad

check seals etc......

grease blah blah blah

you have a mosfet fitted anyway - can't say how robust it all is but a fet is there all the same so donkey work is done

TBH - leave it as it is for now - you have a fet so you could run on higher juice for a while

Then eventually when it NEEDS to, either it needs a service or she wears a bit or something busts..

THEN - re-do the box with tweaks/service/repair etc.........

That is my best advice - if it ain't broke.... etc.....

Even if you buy another "enhanced" or "upgraded" box it will still most likely need a tweak here n there

Quick change spring boxes are nice but on M4's you still gotta remove most stuff to change spring

just you haven't got to open box - but still gotta do 90% or removal to get to rear of box

(unless you wanna drill out a big dirty hole at back of receiver and need a stock change/adapter)

yes on some other guns (APS UAR) the quick change spring works great and 30 sec spring change but not on M4's

on a tweaked box you are gonna be looking at £100 aprox for a mofo lonex box

a £40/£50 gearbox will be nigh on just a std box and G&G boxes are pretty nice to work on with good compatibility

Leave it as is for now, run a bit more juice maybe

then say 6 months or so then get her tweaked and serviced a bit, drop in a neo motor and she will be lovely

BTW not saying run on 11.1v with a high speed neo motor trying to hit 30rps - that is silly

doing that will lead to piston pickup tooth snapping off - coz did that twice at first

but a little more juice or maybe a motor on 7.4v getting up near 20rps should be ok for a little while

probably replace small tamiya connectors with deans is cheap easy tweak

Outstanding. Ta

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand."

I'd second the advice of leaving well alone unless there is a specific reason to upgrade, less is definitely more when it comes to "upgrading" AEGs. Definitely swap out the Tamiyas for deans tho.

Also consider buying a second hand gearbox to upgrade and tinker with, teach yourself with that and when you have something that works well, drop it into your AEG. That way you always have 1 working gearbox.

Airsoft Colleagues,

Absolutely brilliant and wise advise.

I shall "Keep Calm and Carry In Airsofting "

Yeah the gun is currently averaging 309 to 318 fps and working fine.

Thanks again.

• Supporters

it's fine as it is, you not have to hit 349.9999fps

TM's often are about 300-ish but still bad ass mofo's

I'd rather have 300fps accuracy than 349.99999 all over the f*cking place

give barrel a little clean may help (dirty barrels lose fps)

(if you are not sure just clean 85% of barrel length to avoid dirt/contaminating hop bucking)

eventually if/when she drops below 300 or it don't seem so great

then start to consider options but for now:

deans & clean barrel with help

• Supporters

Ahhhh that might have had them weird 21:1 gears in there too.

You could of changed to say 16:1 or something but gotta watch for PE on them longer stroke boxes.

(Presume it was a longer v2 box like A&K 25's)

Anyway it's jacked now so job done

No it's just a standard v2 with a hell of a long nozzle lol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.