TM Recoil, good or all hype?

Raggedy_man

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As I'm soon to have a new job I'm going to save for a new AEG. So are the TM recoil series of rifles as good as everyone says or not?

I'm looking at one too a scar H

But my buddy has a 416 recoil and if I'm honest it's an epic bit of kit I would never tell him as he would get a big head :)

Looks great feels sturdy and shoots very well they seem worth the cost

I own TM recoil Scar-L, Scar-H and 416. They are without a doubt the best guns I own.

Having owned others scars, the TM ones are head and shoulders above them and that's before you even start upgrading them.

Absolutely worth the money :)

I own TM recoil Scar-L, Scar-H and 416. They are without a doubt the best guns I own.

Having owned others scars, the TM ones are head and shoulders above them and that's before you even start upgrading them.

Absolutely worth the money :)

Sorry to hijack what pouches do you run with the scar h have you any pics of how your scar looks?

• Head Moderator

My TM HK416 is my first airsoft gun, so cannot really compare it to other makes. However, I think it is worth the price; it is well built, feels solid (although some may think it a bit heavy but that is where a sling helps), the recoil is fun and sounds great on full auto. It has plenty of rails for attachments.

Whilst the TM recoil magazines only come in two capacities, 82 BB low-cap (can switch them to real-cap 30 BB) or 500 BB high-cap. The 82 BB mags do not let the gun dry fire when empty as they hold the bolt back which is a useful feature.

Large enough battery space in the stock, and taking advice I swapped out the sopmod battery for a 7.4V LiPo with deans connectors.

If you like the HK trademarks, then some of the TM guns still have them, which is why they are not always advertised in stock.

Being 285-295fps means there are no issues with playing at any site, and there are third party parts/suppliers (i.e. Eagle6) to upgrade it. I have my hop set for 0.25g BB and it is accurate but does not have greatest distance.

Biggest decision is whether to buy the standard HK416D or the DEVGRU version.

Pros: They are shoot well (hop units are very good) and the externals are pretty good (except the plastics on some of the models), generally reliable out of the box.

Cons: They are over priced, especially when you add in the cost of mags. The sop mod batteries are shit and massively over priced. For me the recoil is a gimmick as its more of a tickle. They are a pain in the arse to tech. Spares are expensive. Lack fps out of the box.

For me, on balance I don't think they are worth the money, but each to their own.

• Supporters

Pain in the arse to tech?! The next gen v2 gearbox is so easy to work on when compared to a standard v2, the only thing you need to get to make it all very simple is a castle nut wrench to get the buffer tube off. After that the whole box goes together with no spring tension anywhere.

Just speaking from personal experience. You pays your money you makes your choice. There are cheaper guns that shoot just as well as TM recoils at a fraction of the price. If you've got the money and you like the idea of a vibrating AEG, then go for it.

Another pro about tm recoils is the noise. People are always asking me about my scar when they hear it.

416 is snappy too, although the scar is better I'm on.

And to answer the above, I'll add pics when I get in

I own the 416D Devgru - Like others this is my first gun so have no basis for comparison. I had a few sensible minor upgrades carried out which takes the FPS on 0.25's to around the 340ish mark as well as giving me that little more distance I needed.

The Sopmod batteries i've also had upgraded with larger capacity internal batteries - whilst they're not cheap, they fit as they should with no hanging wires etc. & have never had any failures.

Whilst I don't skirmish as much as I would like too - the gun runs faultlessly time & time again, feels & looks great which was everything I was after.

Price-wise I don't think they're that expensive, given the consistency & performance, now if we're talking about expensive I keep on eyeing up the Ares AMP DSR-1 V2 Gas Sniper Rifle at a bargain price of £900 - now that's expensive!

Another pro about tm recoils is the noise. People are always asking me about my scar when they hear it.

416 is snappy too, although the scar is better I'm on.

And to answer the above, I'll add pics when I get in

True. A few people have mistaken my scar for a GBB.

• Head Moderator

It would be interesting to compare the TM HK416D with the Umarex VFC HK416D. Both being the same model, although the TM one costs about £70 more. Ignore the recoil aspect but focus on quality of the parts (metal and plastic), motor, trigger response, rate of fire, hop, barrel, accuracy, etc.

I also didn't find the recoil worthwhile when having a go on one, so i opted for the TM High-Cycle series instead, which is cheaper by about £100 and outperforms the recoil series in ROF & trigger response.

The stop-when empty feature is a nice touch, but again another thing i didn't really care about, i'm happier to fire a dry shot or two and have the ability to use pretty much any mag for the gun type.

I'd say if you're looking for pragmatic performance, you can do much better for the money, and if you want that TM magic then get the high-cycle. If you want more 'realism' then the recoil series is all good and much favoured by the airsoft community for giving a taste of this.

However the recoil function can kick up issues over time and in my mind seems to have spoiled the usual TM 'will work for a decade without service' standards.

It would be interesting to compare the TM HK416D with the Umarex VFC HK416D. Both being the same model, although the TM one costs about £70 more. Ignore the recoil aspect but focus on quality of the parts (metal and plastic), motor, trigger response, rate of fire, hop, barrel, accuracy, etc.

Youtube is blocked on my work network or i'd find the comparison vid i saw of this. It confirmed my suspicions; VFC has shiny metal body and trademarks. TM wins on every internal and performance element apart from less FPS out the box (as usual)

• Head Moderator

One of the things which I do like is that the TM recoil has less of a whine when than many other AEGs, and the recoil does have a nice "thunk" sound when firing. Maybe not a GBB but not a bad sound.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dE9KXFAYoK8

Had the pleasure of using a Scar-L at a game recently.

Very good performance. Especially at 1J,the Irish legal limit. Shot pretty much better than any other ootb AEG at 1J I've used,2-3 round bursts were hitting pretty much everything in average engagement distances of 30-40 meters,even through foliage.

The recoil just makes it a bit more satisfying to use. It's cool to have. While it's nothing near a GBB,has good passable feedback for every shot you make. When firing in small full auto bursts it's much better,single fire it's 'meh'.

For me though,the biggest factor is the bolt stop. Yes,you can rig up a system on a bog standard AEG but the Marui system works very well. It's very much the most practical part on these guns aside from the good stock performance. I found it much more fun and much more efficient because of the bolt stop.

Now the price- they are overpriced. That's the case with pretty much all marui products. Mags are pricey too and are often out of stock,though if you're lucky you can grab them when japanese and asian online shops have free shipping for good prices I've been told.

Personally,if I had the money I would definitely get one,I'd avoid the AKs and the G36 as they lack bolt stop,and the AKs have some external durability issues. If i'm paying high money for a recoil I'd get a model that has both advertised features.

I was handling a TM shock recoil 417 yesterday at combat south. Oh man it truly is a thing of beauty.

It's got all the looks and Hk branding with the knowledge that it has the quality internals to back it up.

The 416/417 are far more impressive to look at and handle than the scar-h o L in my opinion.

If I was to buy another aeg it would be the 417 fo show B)

I considered the recoil shock, but the bolt catch feature is the part I like the most. I figure eventually someone will figure out a way to make this in an AEG.

I own the 416D Devgru - Like others this is my first gun so have no basis for comparison. I had a few sensible minor upgrades carried out which takes the FPS on 0.25's to around the 340ish mark as well as giving me that little more distance I needed.

Where can you use that? :)

• 3 years later...
On 14/10/2015 at 18:36, Jedi_Master said:

My TM HK416 is my first airsoft gun, so cannot really compare it to other makes. However, I think it is worth the price; it is well built, feels solid (although some may think it a bit heavy but that is where a sling helps), the recoil is fun and sounds great on full auto. It has plenty of rails for attachments.

Whilst the TM recoil magazines only come in two capacities, 82 BB low-cap (can switch them to real-cap 30 BB) or 500 BB high-cap. The 82 BB mags do not let the gun dry fire when empty as they hold the bolt back which is a useful feature.

Large enough battery space in the stock, and taking advice I swapped out the sopmod battery for a 7.4V LiPo with deans connectors.

If you like the HK trademarks, then some of the TM guns still have them, which is why they are not always advertised in stock.

Being 285-295fps means there are no issues with playing at any site, and there are third party parts/suppliers (i.e. Eagle6) to upgrade it. I have my hop set for 0.25g BB and it is accurate but does not have greatest distance.

Biggest decision is whether to buy the standard HK416D or the DEVGRU version.

If your not getting the distance you want. On my HK416D I've installed an R hop up which shoots further on .25s than other people shooting on .2s. If you do have an R hop up your looking about £110 price mark

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

If your not getting the distance you want. On my HK416D I've installed an R hop up which shoots further on .25s than other people shooting on .2s. If you do have an R hop up your looking about £110 price mark

Basically all guns will shoot further with a .25 than with a .20

I don't see what your point is? 

On 14/10/2015 at 17:11, Raggedy_man said:

As I'm soon to have a new job I'm going to save for a new AEG. So are the TM recoil series of rifles as good as everyone says or not?

I bought my TM hk416 devgru as my first gun for airsofting this Jan.

While I have nothing to compare it to in terms of other rifs owned i have to say I really like it. Works perfectly every time, shoots really well and seems to have very good range and accuracy. My mates (that have been airsofting for many years) say it's very good.

I can't say if they are worth the money as i have little to compare it to, but I do like mine a lot :)

- Sharpe. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.