Short dot or Reflex

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, got my CXP 08 with me, and I decided, i want a sight. I play woodland with varying ranges. A fair bit of bush and shrubbery. What'd be best? A reflex sight @1x magnification or a short dot sight @1x magnification? Or even a short dot @1.5x magnification, if anyone could recommend a sight, and maybe link, not to pricey, cheers.

I have a short dot, they are brilliant :)

cool, tell me more about this, is it 1x magnification? And do you play woodland? Thanks

1.5x > 5x

I play all over when I can. From places such as the mall (CQB) or Fireball which is woodland. A lot of people rate them highly as they just work everywhere.

Ah right, reading over, I realised I meant red dot not shot dot, I get mixed up as normally short dots are not short aha, but I meant red dots or reflex, but thanks anyways.

Reflex sights are red dots. They just allow a bit more of an open sight picture than a tube style red dot. Personally I would consider a tube type with a kill flash to prevent it getting shot out.

This thread. Come on man, you've already asked once: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28258-woodland-sight/

eh, sorry... But, do you have a tube red dot? If so, what type and does it vary in magnification

Ok nvm. Som silly things I've done :P I'll be buying a 1x magnification tube red dot then, won't go for reflex.

• Head Moderator

I'll be buying a 1x magnification tube red dot then

I always thought that 1x meant that there is no magnification, the image in the sight is the same size as looking at an object with just your eyes. Only when it is 1.25 and above that magnification is applied, 1.25 is small amount of size increase (25%) and 4x is four times larger/closer (400%).

Yea, I think 1x is normal sight, no magnification. On that basis, I probably want a 1.5x magnification red dot... I'm such a hypocrite .-.

• Root Admin

Why even bother opening these threads if you know you want a magnified optic despite us saying they're overrated and generally unnecessary. Certainly pointless at Ravens, and probably unnecessary at Gunman too.

A 1.5x magnification red dot is nothing I've ever seen before. You'll need to get a magnifier which will make your sight picture even more murky. Even if this was all fine, 1.5x is almost the same as 1x magnification but will throw you off just enough to make it useless close up when compared to an actual unmagnified red dot. I had a 1.5x setting on my short dot and it was slightly annoying - if you're not going for an adjustable zoom short dot I'd see no point in getting a 1.5x magnification.

At this cheap repro level, it doesn't really matter whether you go for the 'holographic' or red dot. It's an aesthetic thing and certainly not something people can advise you on beyond telling you which brands are crap. In my experience, red dots stand up to more punishment from blow back due to a generally simpler design, but that doesn't really matter as - again - at this level they're almost identical in the way they work.

And again as a side note: Please stop trying to get us to validate your potential purchase if you're not taking anything on board. I'm all for telling people to spend money on what they think is cool (it's airsoft, that's what it's all about), but opening two threads on the same issue to be told the same things - before saying you're going with a magnified optic anyway - and waste these people's time? Not cool.

My recommendation: UTG red dot. No magnification, bright as hell, affordable and made for real steel use so isn't going to break quickly. If you want magnification then you need to be prepared to spend more money for quality lenses or it's like staring through Vaseline.

I wish there was (1x sight) with a Cobra Sight, German Sight or cross with a hole.

I like the ones which allow the brain to fill in the central convergence. I find even with red dot, that the dot is too large and obscures the target @<25m.

• Supporters

And again as a side note: Please stop trying to get us to validate your potential purchase if you're not taking anything on board. I'm all for telling people to spend money on what they think is cool (it's airsoft, that's what it's all about), but opening two threads on the same issue to be told the same things - before saying you're going with a magnified optic anyway - and waste these people's time? Not cool.

There's a few people on here that do it and I just stop responding to them as it feels like a thread merry go round.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular but it's pretty irritating to spend a load of time explaining something to then see another thread on the same topic crop up. That or the person says "what's a good MP5?" then "what about AKs?" followed by other models they have flitted to lol.

Yeah, sorry about all this. Coming to terms, it's ridiculous, I'll pull a halt on all these purchase directed questions and do it myself. But thanks for help, have a good day.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.