When should I charge my batteries before a skirmish?

callumbagshaw

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I've had a quick google on this subject and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for - even though I'm sure that this is a frequently asked question. Anyway...

I've had airsoft guns for a long time now, but usually just for back yard shooting (or "plinking" as I hear it's called).

I have a G&G M4 and a cyma 030 AEP glock.

I've started going to skirmish days recently though, but last time my M4 battery died before the end of the day (before you say it - there are two spares in the post on their way to me!) - Luckily one of the regulars was kind enough to lend me a mini battery which lasted me until the end of the day.

The battery I used was this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-6V-1600mAh-RECHARGEABLE-Ni-MH-2-3A-BATTERY-PACK-AEG-AIRSOFT-MINI-TAMIYA-PLUG-/151338575375?hash=item233c7b660f

Although the two spares I've ordered (after some research) are nun-chuck batteries from Patrol Base.

What I wondered though, was when should I put my batteries on charge?

Last time, I charged them the evening before (from about 5PM-9PM) until the batteries were warm to the touch (as I've been advised that this is a good indicator of when a battery is fully charged).

The skirmish started the following day at 10AM, so the batteries were idle for 12 hours or so... Would this affect the performance of the batteries?

For the next skirmish, would I better off waking up at say 5AM on the day, putting the batteries on charge and then going back to bed while they charge?

I'm not so clued up on batteries so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cal.

Charging just before a game is a good idea, but depending on how much charge was in the battery before will effect how long you need to charge it to get it fully charged. It's always best to check the voltage before you start charging. A 9.6v Nihm is discharged if the voltage shows 9.6v, but fully charged if it shows around 11.2v.

The formula for charging a Nihm battery is: mAh x 1.5 divided by Amp output of charger. So for your 1600 mAh Nihm charge time is 1600 x 1.5 = 2400 divided by the charge rate of your charger. Charging slowly is better than fast, so if you have a charger that you can vary the rate on, charge at the lower end, e.g. 120mA. On that basis, the charge time would be 20 hours. If you have something that charges at 500mH then charge time is 4.8 hours, but usable time will drop. Also, depending on how trigger happy you are, the mAh of the battery equates to about one BB shot per mAh, so 1600 bbs or 4-5 M4 hi-caps, probably a bit less if using semi only.

Oh and for the CYMA 030, do not overcharge the battery, as they die quite easily.

Cool, thanks man I'll keep that formula in mind.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised about the lifetime of the .030 battery. Like I said, I took a spare for that and didn't even need to use it, actually hit more players with that than the M4 too, god bless a good old fashioned flank ;)

i would advise maybe looking at lipo's as these have a very low internal self discharge vrs nimih.

what charger are you using?

I'm not sure - just bog standard chargers with the connection that is one square, one circle and a little clip on top (forgive me, not sure what they're called...).

Just the chargers that came with my batteries/guns, so i guess nothing special.

Does using a lipo make any difference to the gun? e.g. performance, or would it require that I have to mod the battery connection in the handguard?

Cheers.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.