PTT Walkie Talkie

Matto2494

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello All

Hope everyone is well, i am thinking of purchasing a pair of walkie talkies for my friend and i to use whilst playing.

I guess my question is what are good brands and what are ones to steer clear of.

Thanks

Licence free or are you planning to buy a licence ?

License free, i guess licensed ones have more frequencies?

You could try cheap kids walkie talkies but don't know what range is like ??

Depending on what play wether it's cqb or outdoor/woodland will also depend on the capable range of them

I use baofeng 888s & uv-5r so paid £75 for 5 years use of frequencies

If you go PMR446 licence-free, the Motorola T8's are good.

There is merit in trying to get one with a rotary volume knob - its murder trying to turn it up or down when you need to toggle keys and cant see them because they are in a pouch.

License free, i guess licensed ones have more frequencies?

Me and a friend will be using Morotola FV300's in our next skirmish - I've owned them for a while and tested them (not in a skirmish) over a very long distance and they're great, and cheap!

The ad says the'll reach up to 10 miles, and since my test the other day, I believe them!

The only thing holding us back from skirmishing them is that you need a special earpiece (£14 for two, with a push to talk button), or the enemy will know where you are :)

I'll let you know how I get on with them but here's a link:

http://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/Motorola-FV300-2-Way-Radio-22-Channel-10-Mile-Range-Walkie-Talkies/266296664?gpid=68416460461&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=COfQ8ee9q8gCFSeK2wod8vYI_g

If the radios are licence free PMR446 radios which are limited to 0.5W output power, you will be lucky to get 500-1000m on them, probably less in forest or a built up area.

Manufacturers make range claims based on using them in free space/line of sight which are not relevant for most skirmish or urban use.

Ideal for talking to team mates on patrol with you, but not so good at communicating across an airsoft site or back to the safe zone.

Here's another Q to throw in, if I'm looking at buying a single handset will I be able to pair it with my buddies handsets? I'm assuming you can? Iv never used one before so am completely clueless! X) I'm guessing it's done on frequency?

Here's another Q to throw in, if I'm looking at buying a single handset will I be able to pair it with my buddies handsets? I'm assuming you can? Iv never used one before so am completely clueless! X) I'm guessing it's done on frequency?

It depends on if you both have the same make & model, not all radios will communicate on the same channel as the frequency can be slightly different

Even though my radios are made by the same company, I had to program the frequencies in to match my other radio so now they work together

If you have a radio that can be programmed in your hand with all the correct frequency info then yes it can work but without said info, then no it won't work (as I found out & later corrected)

Generally yes, but it does depend.

The channels on PMR446 are universal so shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful of buying radios that have a rotary knob with Channels 1 to whatever. This are more positions than channels and they can be programmed with different frequencies so Ch1 on one set can be completely different from Ch1 on another.

Oooh, complicated! Was looking at a motorola tlkr t81 hunter ipx4 8 channel license free handset.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.