posting an rif gbb pistol

shortman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so here comes a noob question. Iv sold one of my gbb pistols with 3 mags. Who can i ship it with without telling them its a cuddle toy etc. Im sure its been covered but when i searched i got so many hits back and none where helpful.

Maybe the answer could be sticky'ed in the sales are some where?

• Root Admin

As far as I know, guns can actually be shipped by Royal Mail or ParcelForce (though uninsured with PF). You should declare what it is with Royal Mail - it's best to get the postage sorted online for this reason. Contrary to some beliefs, MyHermes won't ship guns at all and have been known to seize them.

You will obviously get no money back with ParcelForce, so it may be best to go with Royal Mail (though if it's bulky and expensive you will end up paying a large premium). Beyond that, just make sure it's not 'gun shaped' in any way and you'll be fine. Kind of goes without saying, but always get signed for delivery.

Compressed gas containers are a no-no though, so remove the base plates from your magazines. They've been cracking down lately.

Unfortunately as far as GBBs are concerned basically you're running a gauntlet. I don't know of any parcel company that will accept them. AEG's are fairly straightforward as Parcelforce will take them (BUT NOT batteries unless new unopened in original packaging), basically gas guns fall foul by virtue of being prohibited for sending as they are CAPABLE of containing pressurised gas (ie magazines or internal gas cylinders, whether or not they have gas in) and there have been a couple of cases of them being seized/destroyed without compensation, even with the gas filler valves removed (on Zeroin forum iirc).

HOWEVER people still send them day in day out and the vast majority evidently get through ok (though I would think twice if its likely to involve border checks or airmail).

If you have to post it I would suggest honesty is the best policy, make sure the mags are empty of gas tell the Post Office its airsoft sporting goods and contains no batteries or gas and even mark the package with words to that effect, as well as the addressees UKARA number if applicable, but bare in mind as said TECHNICALLY its breaching their conditions of postage and if you were unlucky enough for it to be checked you may find it gets seized.

Best of luck!

Ah balls this is gonna be fun. Thanks lads for all the info. Ill go with royal fail and hope for the best. I need it to go ok though as iv already got one claim with parcel force over damage to car parts! Dont need a seized gun too :(

• Supporters

UK Mail / Parcel Pete is a decent courier but I'm sure in their small print is some crap about gas/guns

yup here:

http://www.ipostparcels.com/parcel-delivery/uk-prohibited-items

the guys are correct - short of delivering it yourself in person there is always a risk of it being in their prohibited list of crap

Didn't know they applied the pressurised gas bit to GBB stuff instead of just the magazines. That's bonkers.

It is indeed bonkers, and probably the keyword here is "interpretation" on the wording of what is and isn't acceptable to post, and this seems a grey area, the main one concerning gas guns of any description is the presence of a vessel that is "capable" of being pressurised, so yes mags would come under that category, or the gas tank in a NBB. In theory CO2 guns using standard capsules would be fine to send without any capsules as there is nothing that is or can be pressurized without the capsule present. Likewise a GBB without magazine.

The biggest grey area is if the Courier seizes the gun for this reason, and says you have sent it in contravention of their terms of carriage, saying the filler valve is removed probably won't cut much ice, leaving you to forfeit your goods or employ a solicitor to argue your case against a huge company. . . . . .

What really bugs me is retailers use Royal Mail, Parcelforce, UPS etc for sending gas guns, gas itself, batteries etc all the time without issue so it smacks of double standards.

I always use Royal Mail, i Always write both mine and the recivers UKARA on the outside of the box and declare the RIF as a Sporting Good and told the clerk its a (soft air marker). Ive doen this with 6 guns never had a problem before

• Supporters

MyHermes. they don't scan their stuff. i've sent RIF's via them time and time again without a problem.

Royal Mail although they claim if you send it via them under Special delivery it's fine, that is BS cos they are ceasing everything no matter how you sent it. Parcelforce will courier it.

• Root Admin

Fair enough. I can't count the number of times it's just been thrown against my door and left there (especially bad when I lived in a house and the packages were clearly visible to any passer-by), but if that's down to sellers skimping on paying the extra £1 then I can see why.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.