Baofeng UV-5R issue

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As in the title, bought this radio for December

I've written down all the baofeng 888s frequencies & they work, I can receive from both radios & transmit between both radios, LED indicators say both are transmitting & receiver

The 888s will transmit the words & I can hear them through the speaker & headset but when transmitting from the uv5r, you can't hear the words through the speaker or earpiece

I'm confused to why both can transmit & receive but you can't hear the person transmitting from the uv5r

• Supporters

As in the title, bought this radio for December

I've written down all the baofeng 888s frequencies & they work, I can receive from both radios & transmit between both radios, LED indicators say both are transmitting & receiver

The 888s will transmit the words & I can hear them through the speaker & headset but when transmitting from the uv5r, you can't hear the words through the speaker or earpiece

I'm confused to why both can transmit & receive but you can't hear the person transmitting from the uv5r

yeah i've had this problem although they are the same frequency the channels don't work the same. you need to try another channel on the UV5r. so if your on channel 1 for the 888 you might have to have the UV5r on channel 3 for example. They are a really weird radio. This is a problem you usually find with the UV5r working with the Puxing radios. give it a try it may not be the case but it's something i've came across and it worked.

Out of 15 freqs I wrote down, 1 freq works completely fine :) so I'll just stick with that one, another team mate has the same radio as me so I've given him the freq that works

That's the thing though Qlimax, the freqs I wrote down are supposed to be default freqs, so I just keyed them into the keypad 1 at a time & nothing apart from the 1 channel

• Supporters

That's the thing though Qlimax, the freqs I wrote down are supposed to be default freqs, so I just keyed them into the keypad 1 at a time & nothing apart from the 1 channel

yeah it was the same for us as well. we imported the frequency channels in via a PC using the data cable and the channels were really odd. it was a reet ball ache having to work out which channel the UV needed to be on to work with the Puxings. it's worth having a look to see if that's the problem. it may not be but we found for us that was the case.

It's all sorted :) turns out the place I got the frequencies from, didn't have vital info I needed until I looked elsewhere

The vitel details were to do with DCS & CTCSS which has now been programmed :) I've only used the first 9 channels

Just doing my usual notice to inform you that you are breaking the law. The UV-5R isn't allowed to be used on the PR446 channels for a variety of reasons so unless you have explictly bought licences for those radios well then what you are currently doing is unlawful and your doing it with something that will be classed as a firearm which makes it doubly worse.

Just doing my usual notice to inform you that you are breaking the law. The UV-5R isn't allowed to be used on the PR446 channels for a variety of reasons so unless you have explictly bought licences for those radios well then what you are currently doing is unlawful and your doing it with something that will be classed as a firearm which makes it doubly worse.

That's ok BC, it's always good to have people think about things on the other side of the fence :) I did make sure I got a licence to use them, don't want to give people another excuse to try & put the sport into disrepute

If the radios are at a max power output of 0.5 watts then no licence needed but radios with a power output 4-5 watts like the baofeng 888s, you need a licence which is £75 for 5 years, so the more your covered the better

Thanks prof :)

Didn't know it went from 1-5w but yeah, anything above 0.5w needs a licence, even taxi drivers & ham radio operators need them

There certainly is

When I was programming the uv5r for channel 10 on the 888s, I was picking up some chatter, must have been a range or something from what I was catching but did away with those frequencies

And that's a prime reason why you need to be careful because you don't know who's on the other end & what you could potentially be interfering with

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.