Pistol as a primary

Aengus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking at getting a tm m&p to use as a main and have a few questions:

So does anyone on here do this ? There seems to be very few double stack pistol mag pouches so how do you guys carry around you spare magazines ? What's the minimum amount of 24 rd mags you'd recommend to carry ? Pros cons ? Any tips from any of you that do it yourself ?

I normally carry 4 mags for my pistol, the admin pouches on my rig have pistol mag slots so I'm fairly lucky in terms of carrying them.

4 mags gives the ability to suppress and leg it if needed as you can spare a mag

I use Flyye pop flare pouches for 50rd Glock magazines and then just Warrior pistol mag pouches for the rest. The Warrior ones are good, but you do need to do slight modification to fit single-stack 1911 magazines in them.

What modification would they need ? Do they fit M&P magazines (if you don't have any glock mags are about the same size)

Looking to as light as possible so does anyone have any experience with the fobus mag pouches (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fobus-Double-9mm-Mag-Pouch-Holster-SIG-226-229-224-320-SP2022-S-W-M-P-9mm-40cal-/221692512537?hash=item339de74919)

• Root Admin

It's really straight forward but hard to describe so I just left it at 'modification'. Basically the tongue with the velcro needs to be threaded back under this retaining part at the top of the magazine. Once you do that, it gives the tongue maybe a couple of centimetres more length and that's enough to wrap around the longer 1911 magazines and for them not to come undone.

M&P magazine looks like it would fit fine. If you can measure the height of one I'll check for you to be sure.

I often run 2 pistols when I'm in CQB (and sometimes outdoors too...)

it is a lot of fun. But never run both at the same time. One pistol, then change gun when a mag runs out, giving me the time to get clear of the fight to change mag.

but yeah, it can be great. I would ALWAYS recommend a rifle as well, but pistols are really nice.

TL:DR- Buy a rifle, but two pistols can be great fun

Pretty much any standard size pistol pouch will do for M&P mags. Theyre pretty much the same size as glock, sig, h&k mags. As above the odd ones out are 1911 single stacks as they are thinner.

So does anyone on here do this ? There seems to be very few double stack pistol mag pouches so how do you guys carry around you spare magazines ? What's the minimum amount of 24 rd mags you'd recommend to carry ? Pros cons ? Any tips from any of you that do it yourself ?

It happens...

Pros:

-Fun

-Flexibility & manoeuvrability

-Fun

-Speed

-Fun

-Lightweight

-Did I mention it's damn FUN!!!!

Cons:

-Less reliable

-Less ammo capability

-Shorter range

-Less accurate

-No optics (with exceptions)

-More likely to be heard by opposite team (vs. AEG)

-Just a generally a less effective primary

As my main goal with airsoft is to have fun.. I really should consider using it more often!

I often run 2 pistols when I'm in CQB (and sometimes outdoors too...)

it is a lot of fun. But never run both at the same time. One pistol, then change gun when a mag runs out, giving me the time to get clear of the fight to change mag.

but yeah, it can be great. I would ALWAYS recommend a rifle as well, but pistols are really nice.

TL:DR- Buy a rifle, but two pistols can be great fun

Have a G&G cm16 which i'm thinking of selling then getting a s&t tavor so will always have an aeg ready.

So what do you guys do to test if your pistol's going to be useable in the current temperature ? (was thinking to ask a Marshall to take me outside so i can have a wee test, probably an easier way I've managed to ignore)

Have a G&G cm16 which i'm thinking of selling then getting a s&t tavor so will always have an aeg ready.

So what do you guys do to test if your pistol's going to be useable in the current temperature ? (was thinking to ask a Marshall to take me outside so i can have a wee test, probably an easier way I've managed to ignore)

Keep the G&G. The S&T TAR is not very good- source: Team-mate used to have one. Gearbox is crap, and body feels cheap.

I just try to using the pistol. I usually use it if it can hold a full mags worth. But I won't use below about 5 degrees.

• Supporters

Sorry, but I must. Safariland Universial Magazine pouches. Can fit on belts, Safariland holsters, MOLLE vests, and more. I use them in a variety of combinations. And I plan on running pistols only at Combat City here in FL. Gonna have my Cops and Cartel G17s, as well as my WA 1911... decisions...

• Supporters

Keep the G&G. The S&T TAR is not very good- source: Team-mate used to have one. Gearbox is crap, and body feels cheap.

I just try to using the pistol. I usually use it if it can hold a full mags worth. But I won't use below about 5 degrees.

Depends on the Tar. There are two models, the Competitive (or is it sport? something like that) and the Professional. The pro is a good one, the other... Not so much...

In the colder weather keep your mags in your pockets to keep the gas warmer when not in use. That's about all I change when pistol only in colder weather. Or just buy an aep, but you'll be very outclassed by pretty much everyone else at the site.

Otherwise just make sure your hop up is properly set for whatever BB weight you intend to use - you're already at a disadvantage in woodlands so you seriously need to get whatever range increases you can.

Pistol only is a lot of fun to do, just make sure you know your weapon's capabilities (range, fps, accuracy, reliability, etc.) or you will have a bad time of it.

• Head Moderator

I have been looking through the forum for comments on pistols, and the TM MK23 Socom is highly rated.

Check this link http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/20481-who-makes-the-best-mk23-socom-pistol/?hl=mk23 and read the entry #13 by Rocky-Climby-Dave. May be of some help. It certainly makes me want to get one now even if not as pretty as the TM H&K 45.

• Root Admin

I have been looking through the forum for comments on pistols, and the TM MK23 Socom is highly rated.

Check this link http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/20481-who-makes-the-best-mk23-socom-pistol/?hl=mk23 and read the entry #13 by Rocky-Climby-Dave. May be of some help. It certainly makes me want to get one now even if not as pretty as the TM H&K 45.

The Mk23 is NBB though :S

The Mk23 is NBB though :S

Still an amazing bit of kit though. It's probably the only pistol I'd consider running on it's own at woodland sites.

• Supporters

I've got a TM M&P and have done exactly that. I just use single mag pouches and have 4 total mags although generally I won't use the lot. Just be careful with what and who you shoot and it's not too bad, stick the lot on a belt and you'll be sorted.

• Root Admin

Still an amazing bit of kit though. It's probably the only pistol I'd consider running on it's own at woodland sites.

You're certainly right on that, but it's worth mentioning as obviously the performance of an NBB is always going to far exceed that of a GBB.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.