Teeth protection....

djben9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

i know, full face masks are good....

but a lot of you just wear glasses....and we have goggle fogging etc....

so for you that dont protect your face as much as you prefer glasses for the comfort, do you use a mouth guard??, if so, any particular ones?

only ask as at the moment i have the lower face\ear pro and mesh goggles but finding in a bit un-comfy on the nose so looking at alternatives like glasses and just lower face mask or goggles etc

also the face guard you fit to the FMA/Viper/Emerson helmets ive seen look to aid in deflecting bb's....but then worried i WILL get hit in the mouth, its the law of the sod!!, but i could then wear glasses and not have the fogging and nose comfort issue??....

mmm decisions!

• Moderators

wondered that, just a cheap one from sports direct, sounds too easy, wasn't sure is anything to look out for? or avoid?

eyes and teeth, wanna keep them :)

• Supporters

Gum shields is gum shields. I know some very expensive ones they mould it directly in the store mind you.

• Root Admin

Regarding the lower mesh mask, I bought some single-sided foam (like the anti-draft stuff you get for doors but much thinner) and put it at the top where the bridge is. That helped a lot.

I'm not sure why companies don't just do that and make a rubberised one where it rests on your nose and also further to the sides. I know there are those ones on Firesupport that have fabric on, but they look like they'd get in the way of your nose more than they'd help with comfort.

As for gum shields, I've owned a lot of different ones over time and frankly the fitted ones are far more comfortable (granted you forget you really have on in after 5 minutes) but primarily they're good as they don't like to fall out half as easily as the 'boil and bite' ones. I never wear one during games though because I generally can't stand them, and also it doesn't stop that BB hitting your lips or flying into your mouth. I've seen people using them though so it must be viable.

Lower mesh often/usually requires some bespoke modification to fit comfortably. I second proffrinks suggestion of padding rather than just using a gum shield, especially as gum shields are probably more irritating to wear and you'll only be able to talk like a gimp. Gum shield might keep your teeth in but will just split your lip instead if you take a bb to the mouth (seen it happen, dude decided on the spot he was going back to mesh lol)

Always worth spending bit of time to modify a mesh lower rather than not bother.

Talking as a rugby player here, DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPO SPORTS DIRECT ONES, they're made from such a cheap material your "moulding" barely makes a difference and it will fall out the second you open your gob. Don't have much experience with more expensive boil and bite mouthguards but if you're desperate for a mouthguard (not sure why you would be :)) get a fitted one from an orthodontist/dentist so you can actually speak, should be really comfy so you forget about it after 5 mins and it doesn't fall out !

I bought a lower mesh mask after somebody decided to full auto into my face from what seemed like a relatively close range. Aside from the teeth, it can leave marks on the skin and lips which could take awhile to heal up. As said above, they probably need altering/bending to fit your face better. They also vary in shape a bit as well so if you have a big nose, look out for ones with more nose room etc. The trouble with masks is that it's a bit harder to aim if you're trying to rest your cheek on the stock.

• Moderators

Chees guys, I'll keep playing with my mesh mask, it's the v2 one or something, with ear pro as well, it's just the nose annoying me a bit but I'll go to b&q and look around, may also be I had it to tight on my head.....

I'll try it a bit more before next game, prefer the mask/google pro but good to hear what the alternatives are like.....plus helps other noobs

• Moderators

Yeah they use those masks at urban for hire guns

Few guys from FART Inthink, I tagged onto wore them last game, seemed to be ok

And an addition to my purchase with the scope haha

used to wear lower face mesh, works well and probably wont steam up.

As for gum shields. I've seen people having their lower teeth shot out, as most only wear upper ones, this would not protect them. Also they are meant to take a blow from a fist to the face, not a 6mm at ~1j.

Also my close friend always plays with mask, except ONCE when his girlfriend joined in and he lent it to her and played only with goggles. After a long process, lots of pain and money, he now has a fake tooth. He also have quit airsoft as he feels really uncomfortable with it even when masked.

Is it really worth the risk? :/

My lips offer enough protection to my teeth.

rofl

A guy posted to the /r/airsoft subreddit the other day, about a product he recently brought out, basically a really small steel mesh mouthguard

http://imgur.com/a/FLKRc

I can't vouch for how good it is, and it necessitates wearing a balaclava (which sounds awfully warm) or having elastic straps all over your face in addition to the not particularly comfy mesh, at which point you'd be better off with the lower half face mask.

• Supporters

For woodland/outdoor stuff where I'm less likely to be shot at point blank I wear a sisu 2.4 mouthguard (very very low profile, but hard as nails - I've been hit in the teeth with it on and they're all still there!), it's pretty good in that you can talk/drink/breathe properly with it in, still can't whistle though!

For CQB/indoor stuff it's lower mesh/full face every time, I took a chance a few months ago with gumshield for CQB and ended up covered in my own blood when about 5 guys opened up on my face from 10-15' away (I was a dead man walking too!). Won't be doing that again.

• Moderators

ok looks like i'll be sticking with my lower mesh it seems :)

this was the helmet thing i mentioned

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/airsoft-helmet-armour-protective-face-mask-with-velcro-multicam-p-9915.html

and wear a mouth guard as well for additional protection on the off chance i ge one slip through...

a guy wore one at UA last time, said it was great, never had a problem, im just cautious!

think someone (on this forum?) made a face protection attached to the coms mic. wasn't too disturbing in looks, not sure I'd trust it thou as it leave angles free... maybe in combination with upper & lower gumsheilds.

I use a lower face mask and have a bit of a hooter so the metal mesh really rests on my nose and can be uncomfortable so modified it with foam like one of the posts above. Also modified the foam to create a slight raised piece to fill that gap between the goggles and mask that i've seen a few people take hits between and left with those great big welps on their face.

Have kept it as low profile as possible but offer full protection without wearing a clunky full face mask.

2015-09-27%2022.41.07_zpstq3g0g0d.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.