The Daytona Build

LordGeorge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

You also probably drained between 5-10%+ of the tank. Whoops.

Had fun doing it :ph34r:.

Was only a split second, but either way its only being used for testing the kit post installation.

also the local scuba shop is 5 minutes away :)

Hey all, good day as the kit has finally come.

BUT there is a complication, the kit is not going to fit.

Already contacted tony and awaiting a response.

The trigger box fits snug but leaves no where near enough space for the valve to fit into the back and Mis-aligns with the rear pin.

Also the bolt cannot go all the way forward as the charging handle stops it.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Will add pics when I get on my pc.

😢

• Root Admin

Buy a donor that is compatible with DG?

I thought you knew from the start the WE 416 requires a bunch of extra machining to get right. Only a handful exist right now. Did you really not check the FAQ like I said :S? The 416 isn't listed there.

Buy a donor that is compatible with DG?

I thought you knew from the start the WE 416 requires a bunch of extra machining to get right. Only a handful exist right now. Did you really not check the FAQ like I said :S? The 416 isn't listed there.

Well that was he entire reason for getting the 416 I did have a look around and very little was said about it.

I also spoke to tony and he also confirmed that it would be fine.

I knew material removal was part of the job but the only way to get the valve in is removing material from the back witch instantly destroys the buffer tube stopper.

I'm going to look how well the receiver will take destruction, in the mean time I will also look at receivers that will take this better.

Any recommendations ?

Hmm

Ok so after contemplating my next move, i will start destroying my receiver as paint gracefully demonstrates.
Photoshop pro !

Red = removal for valve.

Yellow = removal for feed.

8a7e1e02ef6875180f6f24cc5d753361.jpg

07779c82ac165ee912a196fb2df59289.jpg

Also been looking at the Ra-tech forged receivers as a backup.

Cheers

Oh, that's standard modification heh. You made it sound as if the whole thing was a big surprise. Most builds need the grip area drilling at a minimum for the macro line. May want to ask Tony to update that FAQ with the WE 416.

Yes and no, i knew about everything else except the rear mill down for the valve. I didnt expect it to be easy, all good fun. B) He also kindly sent me some images of a past 416 build and pretty much the same thing was needed to be done.

They do exist. He just never updated the FAQ - they're even on his website and stuff.

haha yeah, what faq are you looking at dude ?

Planned out machining, should have it done the weekend.

Having some fun working on the hopup as thats the only thing i can do for the moment :)

Profrinl, did you say you have any derlin ball's spare ?

Will get a derlin ball ordered if not, im sure that lug screw cant help rubber after a few 1000 rounds.

Quick update

Got to the tools Saturday , many many cuts later and had all modifications done in just over 3 hours.

Had the kit locktighted to shugar and lubed up Bretty dam good.

Had about 20 shots before I had to pop out and it kicks like a horse.

Will report on all the work needed to get it to fit, pics of course.

One thing I wanted to ask is the valve refresh time.

When firing the pressure in the regulator drops , obviously .. But how much is normal? If I full auto at 100psi it would hold roughly 70psi until I let off.

Cheers

Build log...

Sorry for the image spam :D

Start removal of material for rear valve.

414b5a103070b1067e61bc617c51e8e0.jpg

Removed material, functional but not tidy. Will polish up soon.

81139f782aae5102aebf5a59482b4b6f.jpg

IGL feed drilled ready for new pistil grip coming. "Stark-One Ar-15"

8298934571b68d43d0bff8c8a3cb1e5c.jpg

Valve mock up

99e369350b532e77aded0fa6078848be.jpg

Upper receiver rear lug removed.

273e8d224644f3807ceb4f030016f5c0.jpg

Hopup access hole. "So happy with this drill"

1d30c37cbbf40a17ff5e62cd2de10466.jpg

Charging hangle ground down and widened for pickup.

467090c522878259974023ca676bfae8.jpg

Front access removed for hopup mag feed. Also note the bolt catch has been removed.

ff50d9868b4bbca9948627bd7ca7491f.jpg

Nice job. Is that a real steal charging handle?

Cheers man, little rough around the edges but its getting there :)

Its not, just the standard hk416. I am however tryng to get my hands on a rainier arms charging handle.

Really like the look of a ambidextrous, charging handle. want to replace the selector and trigger with real steel aswell.

Only trouble with that is i would need to buy the entire trigger kit even if i only want the trigger. Meh !

Also didnt pop up the pics of the selector, i had to shave about 1mm off the semi auto section as it was causing the full auto shear to hold on full auto in semi ^_^ .

Daytona Gun Group FAQ on FB. It's basically where 70% of the questions about DG can be answered. I think I mentioned it here or the other thread.

Yeh, I have got a few of them. PM me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post.

George Something received the package ! B)

Cheers dude, sorting the inner barrel out tomorrow. As i havent made my mind up on the rail and outer barrel i wont buy the magnus untill 100% happy.

Not too much happened for a few days, had a slight slip up with the hopup rubber. Lucky tony sent me a spare are part of my order :)

Temporary inner barrel is cut down and in.

However i did notice that thr fps is a bit weird, not sure if you can shed some light on this "profrink" ?

So 80psi, .25 and 280-300 fps.. then 100psi 300-310 fps.

130psi, no change.

A few things i did check, the airseal when carrier is in the receiver to barrel is not great.

I can blow down the barrel, and easily lets air pass through. I moved the air rod along and it does open up fully when the cylinder opens up.

Is this just a bed in thing or should i be looking out for something ?

Cheers

• Root Admin

You should be getting a somewhat significant jump in FPS. Problem I have with my M249 is there's no semi and it can double feed what with still breaking in so I have to fire a few bursts to get a true reading as many come out of the barrel much slower than they should.

Does sound like an air issue though. First thing to do would be to remove the kit, connect it to your air and then put it in a sink full of water - if there are bubbles there's a leak (duh). Next is just a full disassembly (if you've not already) and reassembly with thread lock. The grub screws on the airshaft collar seem to cause a lot of issues for people, but obviously your engine is quite a bit different to mine so the FB page may be best for this (just search first).

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, been busy and not too much to on the TNK, i did however get my Stark pistol grip. :)
It’s outstanding, very strong and extremely comfortable.

7e3fa96ac415053a9360b096d79fbe20.jpg

The two main modifications to make it all fit was, the drill as per for the airline and widening the spring guide slot to take the original spring. Also worth noting the spring guide needed boring out around the opening to allow any misalignment on the spring and pin to not cause any selector issues.

7cf718ca93f0182b9c2702b5ea010386.png

Final fitting

6cc8716d0644c4342d20cafa183335f7.jpg

Two side notes.

One. Still breaking in the kit as its just too loud to do in the house and garden at times so really struggling. May take it to the local shop and use their range if they dont mind the noise.
Getting around 250fps on .25's @90psi. Still no gain at higher psi so hoping the break in will shed some light on it. "only at around 3000 rounds atm."

Two. Decided to go all in on the HPA community and have a polarstar jack coming to convert my WE Mk17, after playing with hpa gives me no love for AEG anymore.

Considering the spare parts and batteries I may very well get another AEG in the future just for the sake of having one.

Want to make some plans for tidying the paintwork on the receivers once its all done, also got a real steel ambidextrous selector favourited.

Also got some flat headed grub M3 screws coming to do the trigger job to the daytona. Currently the trigger has a long travel before it even starts pushing on the valve, so got some screws to adjust it back to the point a small flick and its off.

Only really noticed how bad the travel was when i tried spamming semi auto, you would end up flicking the trigger around and never firing :P .

Cheers

• Root Admin

I'm still only about 5k into my break-in because of the fact that it's so loud, heh.

Good that it's going well. I'm considering making some sort of HPA system for a DMR to replace the one I sold next year. Possibly SMP, but the new PDiKs looks good as it doesn't require an FCU.

I'm still only about 5k into my break-in because of the fact that it's so loud, heh.

Good that it's going well. I'm considering making some sort of HPA system for a DMR to replace the one I sold next year. Possibly SMP, but the new PDiKs looks good as it doesn't require an FCU.

Haha yeah, i didnt hear too great things with the mancraft gear. Mainly its assembly and mechanics but no FCU is why the daytona was so great.

I got a 800mha 7.4v for the jack so when i ever do use it, battery power shouldnt be a issue :rolleyes: .

With my low fps issue i have got a feeling that its to do with my barrel.

When i first dis-assembled the hopup i may have pulled the barrel before unscrewing the hop nut! :ph34r:

Intially when i took it all appart i found the hop lug nut had bent the hop window when tring to remove it... Ooops. It was straightened out and looks fine.

With this in mind i am wondering if even the smallest bend has caused pressure loss hop/barrel.

I dont mind too much as it was a learing curve but i wanted to get the orga barrel after christmas so was not planning to get it yet. Suppose i may have to break the bank a little more and have it over and done with.

Any thought's ?

• Root Admin

It's possible your bucking had just slipped or something - mine rotated almost 90 degrees after the first 500 shots! I'm still having to clock in almost 130psi to hit the equivalent of 350 with mine but it's a 500mm wide bore so I'm losing air like crazy anyway.

The parts will shift a lot during break in. Are you being sure to tighten well and putting loctite on the parts? If you need to get it apart you can use a heat gun (though be careful if you're getting that much heat near the bucking).

Depends on how it performs regarding the ORGA barrel. If it's working like you want it then a barrel upgrade is probably pointless. If not, grab one as it's the final variable here after you've broken it in.

It's possible your bucking had just slipped or something - mine rotated almost 90 degrees after the first 500 shots! I'm still having to clock in almost 130psi to hit the equivalent of 350 with mine but it's a 500mm wide bore so I'm losing air like crazy anyway.

The parts will shift a lot during break in. Are you being sure to tighten well and putting loctite on the parts? If you need to get it apart you can use a heat gun (though be careful if you're getting that much heat near the bucking).

Depends on how it performs regarding the ORGA barrel. If it's working like you want it then a barrel upgrade is probably pointless. If not, grab one as it's the final variable here after you've broken it in.

Well what i am thinking is that evena slight bend in the barrel is causing the high pressure to flow out of this area. The more pressure the more that passes the bucking. I had a very similar issue with my MK17 a while back and that was a bucking leak hop to barrel that only showed its face when allot of air is introduced.

How do you get on the the 500mm ? I was looking at that for the mk17 since getting the jack, "which is awsome btw".

I gotta get something to drop the fps on the jack, at 60psi i am getting 350fps with normal hop on. Want to drop it so i can use heavier bbs with orga.

Yep, really the only parts i have locktighted is the collar andthe carrier inner/outer screw. All else has been up tight which no apparent issues.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.