Moving to Lipos. Whadda I need to know?

SeniorSpaz87

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As the title says, I am tempted to get some lipo batteries for my new VFC XCR, as I need to get batteries for it anyway. It has a standard crane stock. What do y'all recommend, or should I just stick to 9.6v nunchuck NimHs. And what do I need to know about lipos

• Supporters

some links n crap:

bit lame tbh @ 15c
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__17285__Turnigy_nano_tech_2000mah_2S_15_25C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

on deans:
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__67728__Turnigy_nano_tech_2000mAh_2S_15_30C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack_T_Connector_.html

or

maybe 2 of these - 1 in each tube and wire them is parrallel

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__67731__Turnigy_nano_tech_1200mAh_2S_25_50C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack_T_Connector_.html

series%20and%20parallel%20packs2.jpg

charger - genuine one but will require a psu - maybe old 15-18v laptop psu
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__36905__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_US_Warehouse_.html

The above stuff is a rough guide - you may be able to get stuff easier n quicker locally

but ffs measure what battery space ya got to play with BEFORE you order up a battery that don't fit

• Head Moderator

Or you could just buy some batteries, then discard your current stock and ask Mr Duck what stock to get to fit the batteries and your gun ;)

And wait for a response [i call that a Duck bomb :)]

• Supporters
  • Supporters

I keep seeing 15, 20, and 25C on the descriptions. What's this?

• Supporters

Burst rate

Although it has 7.4v or up to a Max 8.4v fresh off charge

It's kinda like how much zest or response it has the moment you pull the trigger....

15c is maybe too low imho, maybe a lame stock gun but nahhh if you are buying new n got options of more zest

20c absolute min on a slightly tweaked gun

25c if possible but 20c if options are limited

35c is for whippy zippy tweaked setups

And some you nutters that seek ultra trigger response go for like crazy 45-60c $hit. ...

Jeez 35c Max for me tops I find

When used a 25c n high speed motor I got a bit more overspin @say 26rps

20c brought it down just under 24 with next to no overspin

(Yeah I need to short stroke on a 110 spring really)

But there was a small difference it seemed to me

• Supporters

So for a stock VFC XCR with deans connectors I should use a 20C? Unless you recommend a 25

• Supporters

You might have to use a 20c at a push depends on choices due to size dimensions of tube/battery space and just what you can actually get hold of easily

Thin nimah's are about 18mm to 19mm in diameter

Unless you got the jumbo mofo ones

Many stick types are 18diameter

See wtf you got in the stock and what your options are

20c is deffo better than a lame 15c

• Supporters

I also don't have a problem switching out the stock. I don't want to rewire it for a PEQ though. It has a crane stock ATM; I don't like cranes unless it is a necessity for the battery. As y'all may know, my favorite stocks are the Roger's Super Stoc(s), but those offer no space for a battery. I knew I would have to get some upgrades or accessories for whatever gun I got, so I left some spare cash for that reason. I got lucky in that I got a weapon that works with my current attachments, and takes M4 mags. So I have some cash to throw at this, so a stock could be in the cards. So would you recommend the stock and lipo you linked above? Are you sure my gun can handle it without issue? I've never really gotten too techy with AEGs before, as I used mostly gas or stock AEGs in the UK, but with gas harder to get here, I'm having to switch. If you give me some links, one for a battery, as well as for whatever you would suggest, I trust your opinion and will buy it. Whether you think a battery pouch on the stock, a new stock, or batteries chosen to fit the crane, I'll take your advice.

And evike, Airsoft gi, or other U.S. Links are preferred; can't do too much with UK links :)

• Supporters

short stubby:
http://www.evike.com/products/27100/

full or large fixed stock:
http://www.evike.com/products/28751/
(get ya lunch in that mofo)

me personally find them both either a tad too short or too long - especially the full fixed stock

Duck jnr likes the stubby as he ADS with it pulled close into him - others like me wish for a medium full stock in between
There is NO ADJUSTMENT - what you see is what you get
Now don't follow my lead as is....
Yes they are ok on short to medium length M4's and some snipers or SR25 can have the full stock on

but it might not be perfectly 101% ergonomic for others that need that smidge of personal adjustment in their stock
some guns it looks ok on
others it may look odd or out of place coz it just don't go or look 101% right

Not that really bothers me it is more about just being able to fit a cheaper higher spec/capacity battery in me toys

Your gun could have come with a folding or mofo type stock
You really need to post a pic coz a stubby could alter the look a bit

More importantly - as it has a crane on there you need to check a few things....
Does the stock tube come off or is it like some guns that have the stock tube as a single piece bolted on the back
Yes you got wires running through it but does the stock tube actually fit onto the mount or an all in one mount
(think some APS m4 stock ak's have an all-in-one tube/mount)
probably seperate but you gotta check first......

remove battery of course
remove carefully the crane stock - then you should see say a phillips screw holding the tube onto the rear of receiver/mount
if this can slide off you should be left with a short tube with 2 guides etc.. like a normal M4 etc.....

What you need to decide is is it gonna look ok-ish
or will you care ?

Some stocks on some guns are a main talking point and can really make a gun stand out
Alas a number of sexy stocks are not that great for battery space or cost a friggin' bomb

a stubby M4 will allow you to use cheap batteries of various sizes/specs

I have the 25c 7.4v & 11.1v Zippy Compacts 2200mah
and could fit in mental 60c's
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=73737

the 2700mah is a tad too long though with thick wires n fet in there - well It can go but requires a bit of modding to rear of receiver which I don't advise unless you are a freak like me

But make no mistake it won't look as sexy as some of them lovely stocks with stock tube battery space or very little else room
But then if you wanna use block batteries in M4's like Mp5's n G36's and some rear wired AK's
Then you gotta weigh up the pro's n cons

Check first what size ya crane stock has in its tubes
Check also if your stock tube can deffo be removed or you won't get a fixed stock on there

• Supporters

I keep seeing 15, 20, and 25C on the descriptions. What's this?

It's a multiplier to show how big current the battery can supply. Usually there are 2 of these: 30C / 15C or 50C / 25C, etc.

The first shows how big current it can supply for a short period of time (burst rate). Meaning seconds. The second is how much it can supply continuously. So on the trigger pull you get an impulse of high current that levels to the lower value in a few seconds.

The value itself is a multiplier to the capacity of the battery. So an 1000mAh battery with 20C rating gives 20x1000mA = 20A. An 1500mAh with 30C gives 45A.

Normal AEGs use about 15-20A.

If you have a battery that can't supply the needed current, the ROF will be lower, or the motor won't even be able to move the gears. (Because in this case the voltage drops, hence the beeping lipo guards on firing.)

High torque motors, powerful springs may need currents above 100 Amps. The more powerful your setup is, the more current it needs.

• Supporters

That's the scientific bit - lol

yup stock aeg's pull what Samurai says, tested an 330fps stock AK and got about 11.5amps

(stock everything but with deans if that makes a minor difference to resistance)

my tweaked one pulled 26amps on 7.4v (edit no need for crap info nobody cares about)

reshimmed (again) and got it pulling 24.5amp through a meter so quite pleased (sounds great too - just hope it don't break (again))

20c min if 25c is not an easy option

Oh if it says 15c - 25c, take it as 15c not a 20c rating I'm lead to believe

if it was a 20c it would state 20c on it

Your gun can handle a 20c or 25c 7.4v lipo

it is when you just chuck in a higher torque/speed neodym motor and try running 11.1v

THAT is when things start happening like PE or ripping the back off piston if AoE not corrected etc....

(yeah I have broke loads by not following all the guides thinking it will be fine to take the pi$$ - it won't last going real nutz)

but a lipo battery 7.4v will come off charge @ 8.4v and be fine for ya gun without a fuss as is

just leave it there for now and further stuff as n when it needs/breaks

• Supporters

Ok, I measured my stock. It is 14cm long, and 3cm wide. 2 tubes, and the buffer tube can take a battery as well

• Supporters

Know that 14.8v 70c burst with a high speed set up gives a constant stream of bb's, like a white laser.

Not sure for how long though

Miiiiiiiight be a touch overkill...

• Supporters

Ok, I measured my stock. It is 14cm long, and 3cm wide. 2 tubes, and the buffer tube can take a battery as well

3cm wide that is the stock tube itself

It is the two tubes ya need to measure INTERNALLY

They might be tight 17mm round tubes on G&G

or bigger 22mm square inside like on cyma n D-Boys M4

Well that is what I recently discovered

They are not all the same size INTERNALLY

Poke a pen stick or something down the tubes

and you will get a 140mm maybe but remember it may taper a bit so about 125mm or 5 inch to allow room for wires

I would be surprised if you have 30mm or 3cm internal space in them 2 crane tubes coz that is quite big

Have been wrong before but if you got 2 x 30mm size tubes you will have loads of options getting a

25x25x125 stick in each of them 2 tubes

Which would mean a biggy mah/C rating 7.4v very easily

If not then hopefully you might have say 22mm square/round tubes to give you some options

As always really measure battery space carefully

Take off a couple mm to be sure it fits in ok

• Supporters

Alright, found some I can get that fit my stock. Now, about chargers...

• Supporters

Genuine B6 charger as said at beginning

Well impressed with my clone one and tbh the price HobbyKing do them for

you may as well get a gen B6

(I found out what a good price they offer AFTER I bought my snide ones)

Charges quick - even at a modest charge setting

Them slow cheapo ones I used before will be included on any future gun sales

(if I can bare to part with my toys - no they are mine for keeps, always hated getting rid of my stuff but I'm hoarding way way too much)

anyway - back on track - Genuine B6 is what you want

• Supporters

OK. charger sorted. Back to batteries... How important is it to use deans?... I know they offer less resistance compared to mini-T (or whatever the benefit it). The issue is, I can't solder in my room (really sensitive fire alarms), and I cant exactly take my guns down to the campus workshop to do the change-over there. It's still doable, but if I could get by with mini-T, then id rather do that. Also, one final time: 11.1 or 7.4? For a stock VFC XCR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.