Vests \ Rigs for Tall and Wide blokes :)

G1DD3N

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice really as i'm struggling to find this elsewhere and interested in what vests\rigs other people use.

In a nut shell I am 6ft5 with a wide chest but not quite so wide waist (48 chest, 38 waist if it helps)... I bought a "one size" vest which I thought looked adjustable enough to fit and it turns out its way off.

So - what do other big\tall guys use?

Looked at the Condor Sentry molle plate carrier as an alternative as it has no sides which should give the extra room that i need but was looking for some confirmation before I spent money on something else which turned out useless :)

Thanks in advance for replies.

Chris.

Edit:

Link to the condor for reference... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Condor-Sentry-Lightweight-Carrier-MultiCam/dp/B00NAEDLEK

• Head Moderator

Anything by Warrior Assault Systems www.uktactical.com

Second that. Good range of quality kit that is fully adjustable.

Agree with above mate, I unfortunately don't have the small waist or for that matter gut, lol, so I have both a DCS and a RICAS both in MC for sale. Either would fit you, the other option would be a chest rig.

So the warrior stuff is about the only option for the larger gentleman then? lol.

Chest rig I looked at...

Also quite liked the look of these but again wasn't sure on sizing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271717344092?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The above they do in OD colour too, not sure how it would look with multicam pockets though.

• Supporters

So the warrior stuff is about the only option for the larger gentleman then? lol.

Chest rig I looked at...

Also quite liked the look of these but again wasn't sure on sizing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271717344092?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The above they do in OD colour too, not sure how it would look with multicam pockets though.

They aren't the only option but the quality is really nice so they often get recommended.

I have a condor chest rig and the chest is pretty big, I can't actually tighten it enough to fit me snugly :)

I'd suggest this one instead:

http://www.military1st.co.uk/mcr5-008-condor-recon-chest-rig-multicam.html

As it has a ton of mag pouches built in, the only downside is it means you can't pick and choose what goes on the front.

They aren't the only option but the quality is really nice so they often get recommended.

I have a condor chest rig and the chest is pretty big, I can't actually tighten it enough to fit me snugly :)

I'd suggest this one instead:

http://www.military1st.co.uk/mcr5-008-condor-recon-chest-rig-multicam.html

As it has a ton of mag pouches built in, the only downside is it means you can't pick and choose what goes on the front.

Cool, that one you linked looks practically idential but with a few pouches added on the front? Are they not removeable?

(sorry for the questions, trying to buy right the second time around) :)

Edit: Other thing would be that if i cant get rid of this other vest I bought I will have a triple mag pouch and some random large bag\pouch spare which I can fit to any other molle. Not to mention the 3 osprey grenade pouches i have.

Its more that I guess they are M4 style mag pouches so if i opted for a G36C or G36K they might not fit too well. Rather than the face that they are permanently attached.

• Supporters

Its more that I guess they are M4 style mag pouches so if i opted for a G36C or G36K they might not fit too well. Rather than the face that they are permanently attached.

If you went for the WAS Nemesis rig which is very similar, the pouches are designed to take M4, AK or G36 mags. http://www.uktactical.com/p-9400-warrior-assault-systems-nemesis-chest-rig-mk1-coyote-tan.aspx

If you went for the WAS Nemesis rig which is very similar, the pouches are designed to take M4, AK or G36 mags. http://www.uktactical.com/p-9400-warrior-assault-systems-nemesis-chest-rig-mk1-coyote-tan.aspx

I like that one to be fair... and they do it in multicam :)

• Moderators

im slightly shorter but 46ish chest and little bigger wasit.....yeah I need to diet!

WAS 901 chest rig is ideal!.....I blame a few on here as well and some one from raptorsairsoft, especially the star wars one who I wont name haha!..... but It really is an excellent bit of kit. Can say anything about the condor ones, but I couldn't be happier with my 901, and so many options, I also have the back plate for my water carrier!.....which will have hot chocolate in soon as ive yet to use it!

Bulldog stuff fits me, and im quite a sizeable bloke. Very similar to WAS stuff, price and quality but looks a tiny bit different.

I'm using kit made by Condor (available from Military1st) and it has tonnes of room and adaptability. Quality is pretty good as is the price.

I was bigger (18 and a half stone) when I started and since losing two stone in weight I've not had to change my chest rig/hydration pack combo.

I'd happily recommend Condor as an alternative to Warrior, although I know how good the Warrior kit is.

Thanks for all the replies. Am in deepest darkest Wales this week so not much signal for internet. Ive ordered a condor modular chest set based on price point and recommendations here. Fingers crossed it does the job.

• Moderators

sure it will be fine, keep us posted!

I looked at Condor as well and the guys at Militaty1st said they should be fine for me ,i just went WAS for other options

Cool. Back from Wales on sunday so will be able to try it out. I did email military1st but go no response at all. Have bought stuff from them but was a bit confused by the lack of reply. They seem a good company so will assume it was a one off.

• Moderators

yeah I would to, never had a problem with at all

Forgot to reply to his after I got back from Wales. In summary, bags of room and loads of adjustment. At least 4-6inches in the waist and loads more than that in the shoulders. Seems good quality as well.

Obligatory photo, excuse the work attire:

condor_rig.jpg

Itll probably go about 1 inch higher maybe 2 at most. Not the best picture so it is sitting a bit higher up than it appears i think.

• Supporters

I generally wear a plate carrier, but I don't put plates in it.

Due to the simple fact of the way the joints in the human arm are put together, having your mags a bit lower down around the stomach or belt area is generally fastest and most ergonomic for most people. Conversely, the closer a pouch is to your chin, the harder it is to draw from; that's always been my experience anyway. Whatever's most efficient for the wearer.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.