Using RIFs without UKARA

callumbagshaw

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I've been a "backyard plinker" for a long time now, and I own some RIFs that I purchased before the whole UKARA thing was even around...

This weekend I'll be going airsofting for the first time, and I've found a site (which I won't name for now) that tells me I'm welcome to bring along my RIFs, as UKARA only affects BUYING RIFs, not using them...

I was wondering if that's a commonality of most airsoft sites? I always thought that most places required UKARA for use of non two-tone RIFs.

If most sites will let you use a non two-tone RIF, then I've got some spraying to do on the new rifle's I've acquired recently, because let's be fair - they look rubbish in two-tone, and it's neither expensive nor difficult to take (most) guns apart and re-spray them!

Cheers,

Cal.

• Root Admin

Yep, it's pretty common.

I don't hold UKARA right now having moved so much over the past year but used some of my old site attendance and receipts as a defence when buying something recently. Don't worry about it - as has been said, it's about the purchase. You do need to have a defence if questioned about possession I believe, but this never happens unless you're an idiot shooting in the park or something - and even then, a defence about possession is probably the least of your worries.

What I mean by that is if the police for whatever reason question you on the way to a game you simply need to produce evidence that you're on the way to a skirmish (a receipt, basically). I've never known this to happen though.

Also, respraying a 2-tone without a defence is breaking the law. It's considered manufacturing an RIF.

Also, respraying a 2-tone without a defence is breaking the law. It's considered manufacturing an RIF.

Thanks for letting me know about the respraying, I'll keep my CM030 two-toned for now then!

However, when you say "a defence", wouldn't the same apply? i.e. "I'm going skirmishing in the woods so I'm painting this in a woodland theme".

I understand that's a little extreme and silly but you should get me point... :) Cheers.

• Root Admin

I'd say really a defence (for airsofters) would need to be a site membership. I have a huge papertrail of receipts kept just in case I get questioned because I tended to play all over the place. The law is very murky on this, but I'd say to be better safe than sorry.

Also, I think you have the wrong end of the stick slightly on the defence bit. It's not specifically why you'd paint it, but it's why you'd need to own an RIF other than to hold up a Post Office. So long as you can prove you're a regular airsoft player then that's fine. If you're just doing backyard plinking then that's not really fine. Again, the law is poorly written, and most parts that apply to us are around the point of sale and are the seller's responsibility to get right, not the buyer.

As far as ownership goes (i.e. you've already bought it), most will tell you that you just need to be over 18. That's basically true, but if you get caught with it in your car or on your person then you need to have a legitimate excuse to have it (e.g. "I'm on my way to a game"). Again though, this has never happened to anyone who wasn't being stupid.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.