New to the sport - Gas gun advice wanted

Neilbarker

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all, I'm after some advice on guns for a first timer. I've been interested in this for a while but never got roudn to it really, always torn between this or paintball but decided to bite the bullet and go to a game this sunday to see before I go spending any cash, getting the UKARA started too, though I dont mind two tone if I can have my own gun, I can sort that out at a later date.

I have looked and looked and just cannot seem to find an AEG I like. Im not a fan of the motor noise at all. I have a WE P226 and had it apart many times while just messing around with it and reckon I could figure out the internals of a rifle well enough to keep it performing relatively well and if not, I'm willing to learn the hard way!

I've found two guns I like at a decent price but I cant really find too much about one of them online and would like a bit of advice

This one here

or this one here

however I am open to sugggestions and what not as you guys on here are far more knowledgable than I am.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately Neil, if you don't have ~£450 to spend (that's including a couple of magazines) you're going to have a terrible time. That thread outlined the brands you should bother with - G&G and King Arms aren't one of them. King Arms is a Western Arms system so in theory you could upgrade the hell out of it, but G&P make better WA-based stuff.

Magazines are a lot of money and maintaining them it's a bit of a battle at times. Seriously consider whether this is a good idea as a starter gun as you will need to be heavily invested in it to get the results you want.

I could likely go to around 400 initially. I feel like I will enjoy airsoft however I doubt I'll enjoy using an AEG as the noise is seriously off putting to me, however until I play on sunday I wont know for sure. But as is stands I feel like a GBBR will be what I want and im just trying to get a feel for brands and whats good and bad and what not just now.

• Head Moderator

I have an AEG that does not make that much of a motor whine (which I also dislike) due to the recoil that has a nice solid 'thunk' sound. Although it does not have the same kick or sound as a GBBR gun, it is not bad for an electric gun. However, it is an equivalent price to a GBBR.

• Root Admin

Again, all the brands worth a look are in that thread. Don't consider anything else because there are a lot of naff GBBR systems out there that aren't worth having.

If you've not played yet then certainly keep a very open mind. I love gas stuff - I don't have a single electric gun, but it's been a lot of money and hard work to get them to a stage where they're reliable and I just can't recommend many brands to someone who's new that wants something to work competitively out of the box. You've got the cost of gas, the cost of magazines, different lubricants, excessive magazine maintenance (we're talking disassembling all of your magazines every game), NPAS to bring your gun within site limits, you can't use ultra-cheap optics as they break and then there's the biggie: Cold weather - even the best setups with the strongest green gas struggle with UK winter.

The issue is the same as with many people who look to buy a sniper rifle when they start - you have nothing to fall back on. If you have a £130 G&G CM16 then you can blat all day with that and it'll keep chugging, but if you have an issue with your GBBR and you've already put upwards of £450 into the gun, magazines and everything else I've listed then it can totally grind the hobby to a halt for you.

• Supporters

As the guys above have said just be aware of the mag capacity and cost including mags if you want to go down the GBBR route. Other than that though there's nothing stopping you as some people find AEGs aren't their thing from the get-go.

One thing to consider is that different AEGs sound different, I find some sound awful whilst I like the noise the TM recoil shocks make. All opinion at the end of the day though, I think those loudeners sound like crap whilst other people like them.

Like I said, I might get there and find that the noise isn't so bad at all, however from what I've heard watching reviews and videos and stuff the whine is almost unmissable. And I get what you mean that if something goes wrong that's me out until it's fixed which is something I didn't consider at all to be honest.

Mag capacity isn't a huge issue, I'd feel kinda cheaty blasting away with a 400 round mag on an m4. But it might all change when I get there and try it out!

• Root Admin

We need less hi-cap heroes that's for sure. The capacity on the GBBR mags certainly makes you think before pulling the trigger.

You're approaching this in the right way, just be sure you have all the facts in place first. There's a wealth of knowledge on http://gasguns.info (go to 'GGI Forum') - every question about every platform have been asked there already and usually answered a lot better than most of us can here. It's a bit dead these days, but there's a lot of information on there that's still relevant. Maybe it'll help you choose.

If it's the noise that is the issue, some guns due to their structure do sound different. In my experience metal bodied guns sound different to plastic bodied. I currently have 2 guns I use; An ASG sten mk2 and a custom made owen gun. The Owen gun has mk2 sten internals but sounds very different to the sten. The Sten incidentally sounds more gun like as the sound of the piston is much louder than the sound of the motor, probably due to the tubular body. The Owen also has the tubular body but the steel is heavier duty making the sound deeper and masking the motor sound a bit better.

You could try one of the G&G guns with blowback which will add some additional sound to each shot as the ejection port opens and closes. Otherwise try guns where the motor is not in the handle (M14, Sten etc.) which will help deaden the motor sound.

• Supporters

Some of the guns with recoil don't sound too good, I'm not sure what system it is but i've heard guns that sound like a bag of bolts. The only one I can vouch for is the TM recoil system which makes a sort of thunk noise when it fires, I actually get a lot of people ask if my HK416 is a gas gun.

Youtube videos aren't generally a good indicator either, a lot of real guns sound strange once you factor in things like the microphone and video/audio compression into the mix.

Whatever you choose, ideally i'd recommend going into a shop that lets you shoot it first to get a better idea of how it works for you.

At the stage you are at the best thing is going to be getting experience with as wide a range of guns as possible to make an informed decision.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.