A woodland gameplay question

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, just wondering, when I was playing airsoft a while back (first game - utter noob) I was finding it hard to get any kills, and I am trying to realize why, I wasn't really like at the front lines type thing, so maybe I need to get closer to the action? And I was not using a scope, but, that's no real matter, but I am guessing a 1.5x magnification red dot will do, just asking if any of these points can explain why I didn't get many kills.

*I think its because I didn't get close enough*

Cheers.

Was it a hire gun? If it's your 1st game with a hire gun you probably did not adjust the hope so your range may have been a bit shorter than most other players.

If in the future you want to get a red dot sight you probably can just do with a 1x (i.e. no magnification).

• Supporters

One of the biggest mistakes made by new players is not having their kit set up very well and/or understanding the limitations of their kit.

By that I'm specifically talking about hop units being set properly, and in woodland this will improve your range. I see it with most rental guns, site operators don't set these often or ever in some cases. It's not practical in many cases for them to spend 5 minutes per gun, often 20 or 30 guns a day to do this. So if it's your own gun, learn to set the hop before you go next time. If it is the site rental guns either ask one of the marshals when they aren't looking busy or one of your team mates who seems to know their stuff with kit. This will improve your range. It only takes 10 or 15 rounds.

In CQB setting hops isn't as important as the ranges you are shooting are much shorter so less likely gravity will have a big impact on your shots.

The next is your bb weight. If renting you may be limited to the sites standard rental ammo which will likely be 0.20g. You might find that a site owner will allow you to use 0.25g if bought from them. If it is your own gun switching to 0.25g is advisable. It is heavier but counter intuitively actually gives better range, is less affected by wind and less likely to have its trajectory altered by grass or leaves, giving slightly better penetration.

• Supporters

Hire guns tend to have awful range/accuracy and it's also easy to assume you are hitting people because your BBs are heading in their direction but they are actually falling short but you get an idea of the limits of your gun over time. What the guys above have said is sound, but providing you are using a hire gun you probably just need to get closer.

Yeah, I will set up my hop up. Thanks guys. And yes, it was a hired gun.

• Supporters

Yeah, on my first game I didn't know about hopup so my range was very-very limited. :) Luckily after the game I found it and saw why I sucked - apart from being noob.

But it's not just the gun. It's about knowing the game too. I've been playing for 8 years. If you give me a springer pistol and a beginner the bestest gnu, I still would have good chance of shooting him. Knowing tactics, ranges, how to shoot, being able to think with the opponent's head, luring and tricking them are things that you can pick up by playing a lot. Learning these are part of the fun.

One of the big things for me was the iron sights. With the rental guns the iron sights block the path of the BB so you don't normally know for sure where your rounds are actually going. It could be perfectly zeroed or way off and you don't necessarily know. With a red dot sight you can see where they are landing and going and compensate for the wind or bad zero or whatever is pushing them off or hitting low etc. A red dot just gives you the below point of aim view you need to compensate.

Of course a large part is just your basic mechanics of firing and aiming accurately, your positioning and everything else about game sense and play you don't know yet. But on my second game with my own gun, red dot and eye pro I did much better because I had increased visibility of the BBs path.

• Moderators

explains a bit about some efforts on sat at Urban....bb's dropping before the hit the targets!....except the guy i hit in the ass.....i did apologise....but its happened to me!

NickM, will you be at urban on the 17th?, if so be great to meet and explain a few things to me if you have the time :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.