Need help with picking a gbbr

valleylad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Being there is so many decent/very good gbbr out there I need a little help picking one.Im looking for most robust/hardest recoil out of the box/ease of getting parts/high fps/most realistic operation. I will be using it on private land so fps I don't have to worry about as I will not be using it for airsoft games.i own firearms and shotguns so Im not worried about having to clean or maintain my rifle.looking to spend between 400-600 on a gbbr.so the rifles are...

we scar H

kwa lm4c ptr

ghk 74/gkms/gims/gkm

ghk m4 ris ras 14.5 inch barrel

PTS syndicate pts mega arms ar-15

we acr msk

tippmann m4 carbine gbb

we ak47 pmc

we l85

we 416

we m4a1

I will be at some point looking to upgrade and buy steel parts if I go for we.i have seen a site ( not sure if im allowed to mention on here the site name ) that sell the we rifles fully upgraded so is it worth just buy a full ra tech upgraded we gbbr ? thanks for your time to help gents lots of writing I know.

• Root Admin

Out of the box: GHK > Tippman > KWA > WA (G&P/Prime/Inokatsu) > WE

Upgradability: WA (G&P/Prime/Inokatsu) > KWA > WE > GHK > Tippman

There are loads and loads and loads of parts for the WA system and you can pour literally thousands of pounds into it if you like. I should say the WOC is kind of naff out of the box, and the WOC-X is even worse but RA-Tech, Prime and others make very, very high quality aftermarket parts if you're into that - also, Daytona Gun kits are made to fit in WOC receivers so that's good. The big drawback is they only do M4s. The KWA LM4s are also gaining some traction and have been around a while now so RA-Tech have picked up on them - it's a newer design and slightly better than the WA stuff, but not as much of a range.

GHK, WE and Tippman are all essentially the same in terms of upgrade-ability - for some reason there aren't a huge number of WE parts out there (probably because they have some unique designs like the L85 for example), though RA-Tech does do some things like NPASs and stuff. GHK is very new (last year) and Tippman is fairly proprietary and also new, so upgrading it can be a little tricky.

Out of the box though, GHK are great. They also make the best magazines right now (which is half the battle with a GBBR) but be aware that the fill nozzle is much higher up so if you want to tap it for HPA then you'll need to buy another brand of mag. The G5s, AKs and M4s are brilliantly laid out though and accept many real steel parts like the charging handle and buffers. Tippman stuff is also fairly nifty out of the box being the newest design of all and also being fairly accessible in the UK.

One other thing, if you go for GHK then their distributor site is here. If you need spares and stuff then that's where you'll get them - I say this because it's kind of unknown and many parts aren't stocked in the UK or can be had much cheaper from there.

Word of warning: All of these are expensive with magazines. Expect to have a budget of about ~£450 minimum when all is said and done.

Two words

GHK g5

It works when it's hot, it works in th cold. It's easy to strip and maintain and even though it's plastic, its better than a cheap metal gun any day. GHK use a really good polymer.

so looks like ghk is the winner here guys.are the internals steel or cheap pot metal ? also where's the best place ( in the uk ) to get parts for the ghk range of rifles ? I did have a look at the samoon site looks all good but is it a safe site to buy from ? customer service and all that ...

• Root Admin

Yeh, steel is actually a poor choice of metal a lot of the time because it's incredibly hard. A combination of different materials (brass, aluminium, steel and alloys) means you spread wear throughout the system and only have smaller parts fail rather than a catastrophic failure. Hopefully GHK has done just that because their stuff seems to be very hard wearing so far (though it's still early days given how new their products are).

• Supporters

Don't rule out a tippmann

Good points:-

Great warranty

Really well built

Upgrades and mods are available (see Facebook owners group)

Standard aeg mags work when using hpa

Good manual

Come with spare seals and all tools needed

Bad bits :-

They do need setting up (it's quite easy)

The hop nub isn't brilliant (but there is an upgrade to fix it)

yeah was thinking about the tippmann but ive now gone with ghk.nothing against tippmann I used to have 2 tippmann paintball guns cant remember what models.is there any difference between the ghk ak rifle and the m4 ? and is there any other rifles I should be looking at ? thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

• Root Admin

Difference in performance? They're basically identical. Difference in how they work mechanically? Similar but parts are certainly not exchangeable and the magazines are different. As far as I know the AK has slightly more recoil but it's marginal and mostly down to the fact that an AK receiver (in airsoft at least) weighs a little less. With an optic and such I imagine you wouldn't be able to notice the difference.

The magazines are the same capacity gas wise and that's the big limiting factor with a GBBR, so they're by-and-large the same but it's of course about what look you're after. Both are pretty iconic, but AKs are less popular and therefore a little more unique, but then they're not quite as modular as the M4 and also have less external part availability (though you can still find everything you'd want). I guess the good (and bad, depending on how you look at it) thing about any of the Kalashnikov family is they tend to look worse the more attachments and the like that you put on them, but sometimes the M4 is improved by a scope, rail, foregrip etc.

Again though, that's all about your own taste.

Edit

I should clarify I'm talking about the GHK AK vs the GHK M4. If you were talking about GHK AK vs Tippman M4 then you may wish to rephrase. English is important yo.

Just reading that thread. It's interesting that somebody there said they had the GHK, M4, AK and the G5 and then says the G5 was better than the other two. I've fired the M4 on semi once. The recoil and the sound it makes is quite different from that of the G5. The G5 is more of an instant bang and quite a sharp recoil where as the M4 recoil was a bit less and sounded a bit more of a 'mechanical' cracking noise. I assume that the heavier M4 had more inertia so would benefit from a heavier bolt to get the same sensation.

Just reading that thread. It's interesting that somebody there said they had the GHK, M4, AK and the G5 and then says the G5 was better than the other two. I've fired the M4 on semi once. The recoil and the sound it makes is quite different from that of the G5. The G5 is more of an instant bang and quite a sharp recoil where as the M4 recoil was a bit less and sounded a bit more of a 'mechanical' cracking noise. I assume that the heavier M4 had more inertia so would benefit from a heavier bolt to get the same sensation.

The m4 has a recoil buffer, so the recoil is slower. The g5 has a bit of rubber to send the bolt back.

I can't speak for the GHK m4, but comparing my g5 to my mates 416 (not exactly the same, I know) makes my g5 look like a hammer and his look like a pneumatic ram. Sure one *might be a bit better for pushing something, but there's nothing to go wrong with a hammer.

The g5 is just so much simpler mechanically, which makes it a perfect first GBBR in my book

• Root Admin

In theory the GHK M4 should be the best GBBR M4 out there being the newest and coming from a company that really knows what they're doing. I think the next most modern is the KWA LM4 - the WE and WA stuff is super old. You can get good results from the WE and WA stuff, but you need to spend a lot of money. Apparently spending money on the WE stuff hasn't gone so well for the guys in that thread, but my experience is to the contrary despite the fact that I'm not WE's biggest fan given the brand as a whole.

But yeh, the G5 is brilliant and GHKs AKs are great too. There were so many more options for upgrading a WA M4 over a GHK one right now that I think I'd still go for that platform if I were buying another one, but out of the box the G5 is very hard to beat.

It isnt, it WE and will cost a tonne in upgrades unless already done and even then I would still buy a GHK.

I should clarify I'm being sarcastic there. The list is saturated with WE stuff despite us saying here it's crap compared to many alternatives.

The m4 has a recoil buffer, so the recoil is slower. The g5 has a bit of rubber to send the bolt back.

I can't speak for the GHK m4, but comparing my g5 to my mates 416 (not exactly the same, I know) makes my g5 look like a hammer and his look like a pneumatic ram. Sure one *might be a bit better for pushing something, but there's nothing to go wrong with a hammer.

The g5 is just so much simpler mechanically, which makes it a perfect first GBBR in my book

Can confirm the GHK M4 blow back is very slow, much like the WA ones. I've got a steel bolt and that thing takes almost half a second to cycle (which is kind of ludicrous).

Well the game changer might be the new TM M4 thats around the corner. Personally I dont like ther AEGs but the GBB they do are awesome; my Mp7 for instance so it will be interesting to see what the M4 is like

• Root Admin

Ah, but the old 'will it green gas' problem of TMs will be there. Blow back in GBBRs is very dependant on the gas you use, and they just aren't going to have the power with duster - or maybe they will, who knows.

I mean I know the M870 certainly can't take propane without a re-enforced nozzle and a bunch of other small things. Most of the pistols were fine with it but would wear quicker. It just seems the bigger Marui goes, the more they struggle with gas powered stuff. Internally (and recoil wise) the TM MP7 is basically just an oversized pistol. An M4 has a whole buffer to throw backwards and a bolt to cycle properly if you want significant recoil from it.

• 5 months later...

I've got a ghk m4 and love it. I'm going to get the heavy buffer and spring which is meant to be one of the best things you can do. Skirmished it first time last Sunday and it was awesome. Didn't have any 0.20s when I put it on chrono so used 0.28s and it was 284. I've got the adjustable nozzle in now so I can easily adjust. Will order some 0.20s when I order my gas week after next.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.