Krytac CRB review/initial impressions

dex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got hold of a Krytac CRB, thought I'd throw up a quick initial impression by way of pros and cons. Hope this is useful for anyone considering buying one.

Pros:

- Good packaging, manual.

- Hi cap mag and iron sights are decent quality

- External build quality is very good (with a couple of exceptions below), on par with G&P, VFC etc

- Keymod rail makes for light weight

- Stock is very good with some well thought out features

- Internals are excellent - arguably the best v2 gearbox design around combined with top quality gears, piston, etc and integrated mosfet

- UK version comes with M100 spring (shooting ~340fps with hop off)

- Price compares favourably with AEGs of similar quality (G&P, VFC, etc)

Cons:

- Wired with Tamiya connector (FFS why?)

- Flash hider is plastic and cheap looking as well as hard to remove due to being glued on

- Grip is shiny and cheap looking

- No rail sections included for the keymod

- Motor is weak

Closing thoughts:

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the CRB. It's light weight, well built and has a top notch gearbox. My only gripes at this stage are with the flash hider (promptly removed via a hair dryer and a bit of persuasion and replaced with a stubby suppressor), the grip (promptly replaced by a MOE) and the motor. I don't know if they ship with a different motor in the UK as I heard good things about the stock ones, but it very weak with sluggish response (compared to my other AEGs) and tons of overspin and a tendency to heat up quickly. Very disappointing. Luckily I had a spare SHS high torque laying around which has sorted things. Anyone thinking of buying a Krytac should factor in the cost of a decent motor.

I'll throw in an updated review after skirmishing the CRB a few times.

2015-09-19%2018.55.38_zpslxnvsjvb.jpg

I don't think its faulty, it just doesn't hold a candle to a decent Neo motor. What's disappointing is that every review I've seen the Krytacs have their "30k torque" motor, which, by all accounts is a decent Neo motor.

Skirmished my new Krytac today, my motor was fine unless I pumped multiple semi shots in a row, in which case it got quite warm. But that was more my fault for not using the full auto. Paired with some Lonex flash mags it did some damage today haha.

Very happy with the purchase.

- Ant

Skirmished my new Krytac today, my motor was fine unless I pumped multiple semi shots in a row, in which case it got quite warm.

My point exactly, this shouldn't really happen on an AEG without an active breaking mosfet.

As for the sluggish response, I have reiterate that because I have high torque motors in all my AEGs it's a relative thing but noticeable none the less and especially disappointing given they ship these with a high torque neo motor in the US and other places. TBH I think that the justification I've read that because the springs for the UK model arent as strong they dont need a HT motor is balls. Smacks of a cost cutting exercise.

In any case, its a solid AEG with many positives and I would say that its probably the only AEG I've bought that I wont have to change or modify the gearbox on.

• 2 weeks later...

So - after skirmishing the CRB for the first time on Sunday - some conclusions:

- It performed very well, the hop unit/rubber in particular impressed with good range and consistent groupings.

- The SHS HT motor produced a high ROF on auto with an 11.1 lipo (expected - I've used this combination before) with no feeding issues. Although after a couple of hundred rounds it did start to double fire due to overspin (perhaps they were right to ship it with a weaker stock motor). This will be cured with the addition of a Jefftron programmable mosfet, just ordered off the back of a recommendation from a friend.

- Nothing bad to report really. Pretty pleased.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.