Gas Blowback Pistol - for minors

Brunix001

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I can't seem to find anything anywhere that explains whether minors can own/use a GBB pistol (in a registered site).

I think in some random youtube video the guy mentioned that minors can't own GBB pistols due to its realism. Is this true?

Do I have to get my parent/guardian to "own" a GBB Pistol and then burrow it for a game?

Thanks

The guy probably meant you can't go and buy any realistic looking gun, which you need to be over 18 and have a defence for.

A non realistic looking airsoft gun (as in, a bright colour AKA two-tone) can be bought by anyone, but again you need to be over 18.

Yes, you get a parent / guardian to buy one but you can basically borrow it off them and as far as I know you are actually then the owner.

• Root Admin

Which just goes to show you how totally unenforceable and poorly written VCRA is in many cases. UKARA was made as a means to make sure airsoft alone could continue in its current form and to defend a lot of the flack it gets, but you're quire right in that many cap guns look realistic are are actually meant to be solid in the same way if they're a replica.

What you may find is the size is different. I'm not sure on the exact figures, but I think it's between 50-70% of the size of the real thing makes it no longer an RIF or even an IF. I remember reading about this somewhere years ago as that's what stops the same VCRA legislation applying to something like a keyring in the shape of a gun. Also, many have glued on orange tips which is apparently enough I'd assume.

(1)In sections 36 and 37 “realistic imitation firearm” means an imitation firearm which—

(a)has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm; and

(b)is neither a de-activated firearm nor itself an antique.

(2)For the purposes of this section, an imitation firearm is not (except by virtue of subsection (3) to be regarded as distinguishable from a real firearm for any practical purpose if it could be so distinguished only—

(a)by an expert;

(b)on a close examination; or

©as a result of an attempt to load or to fire it.

(3)In determining for the purposes of this section whether an imitation firearm is distinguishable from a real firearm—

(a)the matters that must be taken into account include any differences between the size, shape and principal colour of the imitation firearm and the size, shape and colour in which the real firearm is manufactured; and

(b)the imitation is to be regarded as distinguishable if its size, shape or principal colour is unrealistic for a real firearm.

• Root Admin

I'm not seeing how that's applicable as those are clearly a bright colour - many cap guns are not and that's what's being asked here. Am I missing something?

Didn't know Glock made revolvers, heh.

The guns are exact models of the powerful Glock 19mm that is used by police armed response teams and the MP5 assault rifle machine gun that was famously used by Osama bin Laden.

It's about how it looks. The law is there to make sure realistic looking guns aren't sold to people they shouldn't, and that even the unrealistic ones aren't sold to minors.

So yeh, AEP, GBB or just a gas pistol, springer etc. - it's all the same. Can't buy if you're under 18.

It relates to this; last sentence of the first paragraph specifically. These water pistols are clearly IFs by the definitions given, and therefore shouldn't be sold to minors, though they're clearly aimed at minors and would certainly be sold to them.

Bottom line: the law in this area is stupid and most people have no idea what it is anyway.

• Root Admin

Ah, I see what you mean now.

It is super dumb, because most cap guns are 80-100% the size of their 'counterparts' and should also be banned by the same logic. VCRA is quite poorly written and the whole bit about guns seemed really tacked-on in general; it was mostly to combat anti-social behaviour outside pubs anyway if one reads it.

What you may find is the size is different. I'm not sure on the exact figures, but I think it's between 50-70% of the size of the real thing makes it no longer an RIF or even an IF.

I mentioned cap guns sort of, off hand did not expect it to be worth discussion, just food for thought. However, TM make miniature airsoft guns... :P

Ah, I see what you mean now.

It is super dumb, because most cap guns are 80-100% the size of their 'counterparts' and should also be banned by the same. VCRA is quite poorly written and the whole bit about guns seemed really tacked-on in general; it was mostly to combat anti-social behaviour outside pubs anyway if one reads it.

Thats because it was tacked on at the last minute to rush it through.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.