Airsoft Vs Milsim - Differences ? Opinions ?

RandomTrashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have given my opinion in the video and I would be happy to retype it for you if it would help :)

I'm a milsim player and I enjoy it over the standard skirmish type game as explained in the video also if it helps here is the general kit I use explained below -

I don't think what I have spent is excessive at all ?

That's about the same amount of kit that's needed for a 6 month tour of the sand pit 😂

• Supporters

I have given my opinion in the video and I would be happy to retype it for you if it would help :)

I'm a milsim player and I enjoy it over the standard skirmish type game as explained in the video also if it helps here is the general kit I use explained below -

I don't think what I have spent is excessive at all ?

One man's excessive is another mans totally acceptable! If you can afford what you've bought without going hungry or into debt then personally I see no issue with the cost of your kit. Anyone that says otherwise is probably jealous (either of your disposable income or your gucci trousers).

• Supporters

One man's excessive is another mans totally acceptable! If you can afford what you've bought without going hungry or into debt then personally I see no issue with the cost of your kit. Anyone that says otherwise is probably jealous (either of your disposable income or your gucci trousers).

Very true we all have different ideas of whats important.

As for milsim vs airsoft I think they both have good points. I like the idea of a more objective based game but cant deal with all the strictures of milsim but maybe one day I might change my mind.

Wont be spending £220 on a pair of trousers to play toy soldiers in though, would rather spend it on the inside of my gun.

• Supporters

As Lozart said, one man's excessive is another's acceptable, my main gun is about as good as I can possibly get it and I am 100% happy with it's performance so there's no requirement or desire to spend money there now. Instead I spend my airsoft budget on kit, I have a pair of Crye trousers and a couple of shirts (didn't pay anything like £220 for them though, that's daylight robbery!) I find they're much better fitting and WAY more durable than the claw gear and emerson etc knock-offs that I'd used in the past, the stitching etc is designed to handle a military deployment in afghanistan or similar so I'm confident that whatever I do in an airsoft game they're going to take it and will continue to do so for a number of years. Same goes for my load bearing kit, yes I could buy a warrior DCS for £100 and probably be very happy with what it does, instead I spent £600 on a Crye CPC, is it better? I think so, but is it £500 better? no, not even close, but I had the money and I wanted the best I could get so I got it. (the harness really helps distribute weight evenly too, so I don't feel like a 90 year old man after I've been wearing it for 17-18 hours 3 days on the trot!)

As for the 'strictures of milsim' I think you've been listening too much to people who haven't really played milsim games... yes it's more organised than a skirmish (I can't imagine anything being LESS organised) and you'll be assigned to a team of guys that you'll stick with all weekend but all the tasks you'll be given are ultimately optional. No one is your 'commander', your team will have a designated leader for the weekend but their job is just to decide how to implement the requests/instructions of the overall force commander. Really it's just being organised to allow things to actually get done!

Going into the topic further, people tend to mix all milsim in together, I'd say there's really a spectrum of 'milsim' games on offer in the UK; from the low key stuff at places like Longmoor run by companies like ambush adventures which are just a skirmish with no arm bands and camo restrictions (green vs tan)... all the way up to games run by tier1 and stirling where your team could quite feasably conduct a night insertion onto a headland by boat completely blacked out wearing gen3 NVGs (if you've got them, obviously) in order to do a rescue of a captured member of your force. There's a whole LOAD in between too!

As an afterthought, I'd like to point out that the people I've encountered who've taken themselves (but not necessarily the game) least seriously are those who have attended the 'serious' weekenders and have spent upwards of £3-4K just on what they're wearing for that night boat raid! Some of the most up themselves "I'm awesome because I wear multicam" middle management pricks I've ever met have been people who thought they were 'hard core' milsim players because they went to a themed skirmish without a lunchbreak once every couple of months! I guess it's the big fish small pond thing, where they're viewed as the 'elite' by impressionable kids at their local skirmish place because they're 'milsimmers', while the guys who go the extra mile don't tend to even go to a sunday skirmish anymore.

• Root Admin

That's a bit harsh - I've yet to meet a milsim player who's ever tried to pretend (outside of their games) that they're something they're not. I do find it hilarious that anyone can spend so much on a pair of trousers or look at a £500 plate carrier and think 'yep, I need this over a £80 replica' regardless of their income, but if that's their way of finding enjoyment then I can see why and certainly wouldn't hate them for it.

I mean there are plenty of people who just go to normal skirmishes who spend excessive amounts on gear but I think we're all just pointing fun at an unrealistic stereotype that's not conducive to the majority number of milsimmers. It's all toy guns in the end.

I'm off to my 1st milsim in December where I'll be wearing my old issue dpm combats & boonie along with my £30 plate carrier but closer to £70 with what I put on it

I'd rather go cheap & replace kit when it's worn out

• Supporters

As for the 'strictures of milsim' I think you've been listening too much to people who haven't really played milsim games... yes it's more organised than a skirmish (I can't imagine anything being LESS organised) and you'll be assigned to a team of guys that you'll stick with all weekend but all the tasks you'll be given are ultimately optional. No one is your 'commander', your team will have a designated leader for the weekend but their job is just to decide how to implement the requests/instructions of the overall force commander. Really it's just being organised to allow things to actually get done!

I have talked to quite a few milsim players and heard lots of sides to it. As I said I quite like the idea of games with a clear objective and a goal that people really play for just dont like the whole pretend your in the army thing. As long as people dont take themselves too serious its probably the best way to play.

I think the problem is the perception of milsimers is maybe a bit off and thats because of the bad impression some of the more over zealous players can give off when they turn up to a normal skirmish.

I mainly play at the mall and I remember one Sunday there we had a team of about 6 there who were right twats. Moaning at people all the time and acting all elitist. I actually told one of them shut his trap when moaning at some poor kid for making too much noise. The problem is it sometimes can only take the actions of a few to put a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths. I am sure most milsimers are good guys just worry that I would rock up on a day and end up with the wrong sort.

Then again I have come across some people who can get a bit over excited on a normal day.

As for spending £600 on a plate carrier hope its brings you a lot of joy, but still think your mental. ☺

As Lozart said, one man's excessive is another's acceptable, my main gun is about as good as I can possibly get it and I am 100% happy with it's performance so there's no requirement or desire to spend money there now. Instead I spend my airsoft budget on kit, I have a pair of Crye trousers and a couple of shirts (didn't pay anything like £220 for them though, that's daylight robbery!) I find they're much better fitting and WAY more durable than the claw gear and emerson etc knock-offs that I'd used in the past, the stitching etc is designed to handle a military deployment in afghanistan or similar so I'm confident that whatever I do in an airsoft game they're going to take it and will continue to do so for a number of years. Same goes for my load bearing kit, yes I could buy a warrior DCS for £100 and probably be very happy with what it does, instead I spent £600 on a Crye CPC, is it better? I think so, but is it £500 better? no, not even close, but I had the money and I wanted the best I could get so I got it. (the harness really helps distribute weight evenly too, so I don't feel like a 90 year old man after I've been wearing it for 17-18 hours 3 days on the trot!)

Going into the topic further, people tend to mix all milsim in together, I'd say there's really a spectrum of 'milsim' games on offer in the UK; from the low key stuff at places like Longmoor run by companies like ambush adventures which are just a skirmish with no arm bands and camo restrictions (green vs tan)... all the way up to games run by tier1 and stirling where your team could quite feasably conduct a night insertion onto a headland by boat completely blacked out wearing gen3 NVGs (if you've got them, obviously) in order to do a rescue of a captured member of your force. There's a whole LOAD in between too!

As an afterthought, I'd like to point out that the people I've encountered who've taken themselves (but not necessarily the game) least seriously are those who have attended the 'serious' weekenders and have spent upwards of £3-4K just on what they're wearing for that night boat raid! Some of the most up themselves "I'm awesome because I wear multicam" middle management pricks I've ever met have been people who thought they were 'hard core' milsim players because they went to a themed skirmish without a lunchbreak once every couple of months! I guess it's the big fish small pond thing, where they're viewed as the 'elite' by impressionable kids at their local skirmish place because they're 'milsimmers', while the guys who go the extra mile don't tend to even go to a sunday skirmish anymore.

I'm a Stirling Milsim player.

" I think you've been listening too much to people who haven't really played milsim games " I think thats a bit harsh considering you have no idea the games I visit. I have been playing Stirling milisms for about 4 years.

• Root Admin

Some do, others don't. This is kind of the thing - 'milsim' is a catch-all term for anything that isn't normal skirmishing. It can be as little as the banning of high-cap magazines/ammo limit and some more team based objectives for a round, right up to full on 'uniform required', real-cap magazines, roleplaying by designated actors and more.

As said by another poster, it depends on the organiser/game.

In ours for example, its optional for the players. Some like to put on Russian accents and get into character and some dont. Fair enough - its their game.

We do have staff playing characters. Last game, a peasant woman threw a cabbage at the guy playing the Prime Minister and a riot kicked off.

Sometimes as a player, you can stand back and be a spectator. Other times, its more difficult. On the op before, the government patrol at a crossroads were shocked to see a farmer on a tractor roll up with an IED round his neck pleading for help. Not so easy to ignore.

[name=Aunty Pasty" post="215236" timestamp="1442676954]One thing I need to ask regarding Milsims. Does it involve role-play? As in the LARP type of role-play where the players act or say certain things to maintain suspension of belief.

I think real cap magazines are a bit pointless, with real weapons you dont get random flyers, the wind doesn't make as much difference and if you have the enemy in the sights you tend not to miss

So 30 bbs 30 hits, hummmm not very likely

• Head Moderator

The use of real cap magazines does force players to do mag changes, which adds more realism to the game. Possibly makes them think a bit more before pulling the trigger and ammo conservation.

That's the point of real cap mags

To force you to be more trigger disciplined, think more tactically & over all be more cohesive within your specified teams

• Supporters

I'm a Stirling Milsim player.

" I think you've been listening too much to people who haven't really played milsim games " I think thats a bit harsh considering you have no idea the games I visit. I have been playing Stirling milisms for about 4 years.

My post wasn't aimed at you, it was intended for ImTriggerhappy, who I quoted, but didn't 'quote' using forum tags. I haven't actually watched the video yet, youtube is blocked on my internet connection here.

My post wasn't aimed at you, it was intended for ImTriggerhappy, who I quoted, but didn't 'quote' using forum tags. I haven't actually watched the video yet, youtube is blocked on my internet connection here.

Sorry dude, It looked like a direct response to my video, Thanks

To me Milsim seems just another kind of live-action-role-play, featuring soldiers not wizards and elves. Lots prefer it as to them it feels like playing airsoft on 'hard-mode' (although to me it just seems more complicated, replacing action with objectives, the act of shooting someone is no harder), or people find the fantasy of being a soldier fills the gap of enjoyment in simply shooting each other playing standard airsoft skirmishing.

I'm geeky enough to have friends playing various kinds of LARP, so don't look down on anyone simply for playing it. I do however find the common sense of airsofting superiority people assume from it (back to the sense of playing airsoft on hard-mode), and embittered ex-servicemen acting/treated like celebrities very very very amusing.

Not my cup of tea, but no LARP is, i'm no more able to keep a straight face when being told a milsim scenario than i can being told which castle full of demons the wizard needs to get the ancient rune to.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.