Woodland sight

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Playing woodland, in need of a woodland sight for my AEG. I don't know which is better, magnification or red dot/holo as I have no experience. I play woodland as said, but I'll probably play CQB. (I play woodland a lot more, where ranges can mix, but the general woodland range)

• Root Admin

The very few times I played at Ravens I only took my M4 with a variable short dot - I never really needed all of the magnification and kept it on 1.5x most of the time. If it's just an AEG, then frankly a regular dot or holographic sight is enough and you won't need magnification. Ravens isn't a huge site anyway, but Gunman is a little larger and less forest-y (which I assume is the one you're on about too as it's the only one in Tuddenham). Either way, using a magnified optic is usually more hassle than it's worth and it's worth very little in most cases; it takes longer to aim with.

The G&P M2 style aimpoints are very rugged, and there are loads of brands that make holographic knock-offs too which you could go for. I think WE still get decent reviews for theirs.

I just bought a UTG 4.2" ITA after seeing some recommendations on here, but that was primarily because I've broken quite a few with blow back - on an AEG this isn't going to be much of an issue so go for what you like the look of. Those are quite cheap too if you look overseas.

The very few times I played at Ravens I only took my M4 with a variable short dot - I never really needed all of the magnification and kept it on 1.5x most of the time. If it's just an AEG, then frankly a regular dot or holographic sight is enough and you won't need magnification. Ravens isn't a huge site anyway, but Gunman is a little larger and less forest-y (which I assume is the one you're on about too as it's the only one in Tuddenham). Either way, using a magnified optic is usually more hassle than it's worth and it's worth very little in most cases; it takes longer to aim with.

The G&P M2 style aimpoints are very rugged, and there are loads of brands that make holographic knock-offs too which you could go for. I think WE still get decent reviews for theirs.

I just bought a UTG 4.2" ITA after seeing some recommendations on here, but that was primarily because I've broken quite a few with blow back - on an AEG this isn't going to be much of an issue so go for what you like the look of. Those are quite cheap too if you look overseas.

oh wow! You play in suffolk? That's sick dude. Anyways, yeah I'm starting to see the light in having a short dot. Just have one of those red dot sights no magnification? Is that good for tuddenham and ravens? (Yes gunman tuddenham is the airsoft course) thanks pal.

• Root Admin

Did. Moved a couple of months ago, but know there are certainly some others on here that do play there.

Thing about the short dot is that the eye relief (although good if you spend enough) isn't as good as a holographic (even a cheap holographic). For indoor stuff and up close it's going to be outmatched a lot as it takes longer to acquire a target with, and will probably look a bit silly on a standard AEG too. Also, they're heavy and not all that cheap. My VisionKing one was ~£75 after shipping, so it's a lot for an optic.

Or maybe you weren't talking about that at all and meant the red dot sights but got confused. The naming is a little silly - the short dot is essentially a midranged scope, whereas a red dot is one of those floating dot sights like an M2. I'd recommend either a red dot or a holographic sight. I've owned one of the G&P red dots and it was good, but I've never owned one of the holographic type ones so maybe someone that's owned both a red dot and a holographic can shed some light on this.

In summary: Unless you're using a true DMR or have a really, really open field I'd go with a red dot or holographic. Don't bother with magnification as you'll spend a lot more, it'll look silly on a short barrel and it won't be as effective in the majority of scenarios.

Just to avoid confusion:

VisonKing 'short dot' style (1.25-5x32)

31mhQizHw6L.jpg

G&P red dot - aka CompM2 knock-off (no magnification)

gp-ap-red-dot-sight.jpg

Ah right, I meant red dot, aha, sorry about that. The irony of the 'short' dot gets me, but seems I'll go for a red dot, thanks for the help ! Oh does that red dot need batteries?

Ugh, crap. I hate batteries... Do they use the typical supermarket batteries (AA) or some crazy-ass technical batteries?

They work a lot better than the fibre optic ones (which get crap reviews even on the real steel things too). The G&P ones use two LR44s - buy a pack of a decent-ish brand from eBay. They're about £3 for six delivered.

ah right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a red dot or holo is what you need. Both allow quick target acquisition (when used properly - eg with both eyes open). A red dot paints a small red doh (no, really) in your line of sight, a holo paints a red reticule. As mentioned about, for AEG type ranges, you wont really need any magnification.

Red dots include Chinese replicas of Aimpoint t1 micro, m2, comp m4 etc. Holos include clones of the various models of Eotech.

I have a comp m4 repro that takes an AA battery and an Eotech 553 repro which takes 4x LR44s. Both work well in woodland and cqb. You shouldnt really need to spend more than about 40 quid on either.

Red dot, keep both eyes open

An AEG shoots up to say 150' no one needs magnification at those distances, if your kit is zeroed correctly and you know how to aim/breath/put rounds down range a red dot designed for an air rifle, from a proper gun shop not the shit airsoft company's sell will serve you well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.