SRC SR36C Upgrade Project

Philby21

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all you wonderful, smart and helpful folks,

So, I bought an SR36C (V3) from a friend, skirmished it a couple of times, done a bit of research and they seem to be a pretty reasonable gun apart from the original hop (changed the rubber for now).

I've done a bit of reading and decided I want more range and accuracy plus I'm going to use fiddling with this gun to learn before I move on to anything else.

My current plan is to upgrade the internals (not worried about the externals, it's black and gun shaped, that'll do for now) in two stages:

Stage 1:

Madbull 6.03 barrel (I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on these but as this is my first go I'm not going to go mad splashing loads of cash on this)

Prometheus Purple hop rubber

Stage 2:

SHS hi torque motor

SHS full tune up set (13:1 gear set, piston etc etc)

(maybe the SHS tappet plate upgrade to complete the set lol)

I might also change the hop unit to something better (not sure what yet) but to do that I'll either have to mod the mag well or fit one from another make (JG/Cyma whatever) due to the design being different from just about every other make out there.

(Playing with LiPo/Deans/Mosfets is something I'm going to leave until I have a lot more confidence!)

From my scouring of this board and reading as much as possible this lot should give me good range, good consistency and a good rate of fire (even higher if I remove a tooth or two from the piston) and should leave me with a solid gun that'll eventually become my back up when I move on to my next project.

My questions from this and the bits I'm not sure about are - what greases/lubricants will I need in my tool kit for the gearbox and what bits etc do I need to shim it??

Thanks in advance guys and once I get going on all this I'll post some pics up on what I do and how well it goes, might be useful from a virtual beginner's point of view (says the guy who's quite happy to strip down a motorcycle/car engine or PC or whatever lol).

Phil

I don't think I've heard mention of ZCI before, just looked them up and AK2M4 (seemingly the only UK supplier) don't appear to have stock in the right size but I'll email them and see what they say, definitely cheaper though!!

And I probably will do the Deans conversion, not exactly an expensive or complex job (I did studied electronics at university so know what I'm doing with a soldering iron).

I can vouch for AK2M4 he's on these forums actually, I've had ZCI barrels of him and they are good, bucking wise get the prommy, flat hop it then use a firefly bucking or mapleleaf omega nub.

Cheers Hef, always good to get a personal recommendation.

I notice you have Tippman M4s - had a play with one last Sunday, what an awesome piece of kit that is!! I really have to stop trying other people's guns, my shopping list is getting huge!! :wacko:

There's not much aftermarket hop-up available for G36. Most seem to either buy a TM one and bodge it in (if necessary depending on make, dunno about SRC), or but the aluminium 'cnc pro win' one (which is only the hopup case, needs the arm/dial etc from an exisitng unit (which SRC bits may not fit)

There's not much aftermarket hop-up available for G36. Most seem to either buy a TM one and bodge it in (if necessary depending on make, dunno about SRC), or but the aluminium 'cnc pro win' one (which is only the hopup case, needs the arm/dial etc from an exisitng unit (which SRC bits may not fit)

AK2M4 might be able to get CNC prowin clone, I got 2 x M4 ones of him, they come with everything and even a spare bucking.

• Supporters

Don't go too nutz making gun shoot faster without correcting AoE first

your piston's inital pick up - large tooth at back will snap off trying to run faster n faster

fit deans & improve hop/bucking for now

later on you can open her up more, re-do seals , correct AoE etc.....

I'd suggest staying with stock or thereabouts gearset or perhaps 16:1 to 14:1

almost deffo you need a new piston with 3 steel teeth if you decide to short stroke

and use a slightly higher spring to get fps back up - say m120 & lose 2 teeth

blah blah blah mosfet blah blah blah neodym motor blah blah blah rewire blah blah blah

decide how fast you really want to go but would suggest being happy getting into 20's up to 25rps

the faster you go the more likely feed issues will occur

plus it will crap out faster from wear/heat etc.....

(unless you walk on water with shimming & assembly which many including myself have so much to learn still)

Do it in stages bit by bit is best advice, coz it most deffo not as easy to get everything running ultra sweet

here's some dream dreading for ya:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/legacys-guide-building-high-speed-aeg-87504/

go slowly - stick to around 20 until you rip her open,

25rps & she may over run and double fire

30rps & stock springs can get close to Pre Engagement on m100 springs

(this is where short stroking comes in but a LOT more work has to be checked n done to continue)

Trust me I've smashed f*ck out of many boxes pushing them & something else WILL fail the faster you go

so a mild tweak here n there to get you up to around 20 is plenty

hey I'm a poet & I didn't even know it

I like that - 20 is plenty :)

• Supporters

I would just go for 18:1 or 16:1 gear ratio. Put more effort into accuracy and consistency than rof. Better to to have 15rps that hit what your aiming at than 25rps second that miss or fall short.

Remember its only the one that hits that counts.

Unless they are a cheating git then each one that hits is better than the last. ☺

Thanks guys, loads of excellent tips i'm gathering here so looks like I will be modifying my upgrade plans slightly.

On the mobile at work at the moment so will update when I get home later and see what everyone thinks.

Right, revised upgrade plan:

Stage 1:

Deans connectors

TBB, probably ZCI if I can get one the right length

Prommy hop rubber (won't be able to do anything about the nub etc until I change the hop unit due to the odd SRC design)

Stage 2:

SHS tune up kit but with 16:1 gears (the kit comes with 13:1 but I'll keep them for later upgrades)

SHS hi torque motor

SHS tappet plate

Correct AoE

Test then maybe consider dropping two teeth off the piston (the one in the SHS kit has 3 steel)

Stage 3: (maybe)

Upgrade wiring

Mosfet

Lipo conversion

For all I know I might end up doing stage 1 and end up really happy with the results and not bother with the rest but I do like fiddling with stuff and want to learn how these things all go/work together, that way when I decide on my next project (not sure what yet but got MP5 and maybe M4 on the shopping list) I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Any additional advice always welcome.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Bought a ZCI barrel from Socom (great service) and a Prometheus purple hop rubber, installed them both and then found out that my original barrel was slightly longer but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Got to site yesterday and spend 5 minutes setting up the hop.

Found I was getting amazing range and accuracy straight away, hitting the head of a man shaped target a good distance away consistently - even on full auto!!

Then went through a full hi-cap mag in the next 5 minutes because I was having so much fun!

The rest of the day was spent with a lot of people trying to stay clear of anywhere I was aiming, with one poor guy ending up with a large lump on his forehead - he'd just taken out one of my team mates and made the mistake of popping his head out where I could see him again. I genuinely felt sorry for the guy!

We were playing in an old quarry with a sort of ravine in one section with caves etc, I was on one side and a few of my team were on the other, one of them decided to take a few fun shots at me, I pointed my gun and them and they didn't move - then I fired a couple of shots. Lots of shouts of "F*CK" and people diving for cover!!

Seriously guys, huge thanks for the excellent advice from a relative newbie (only been playing about 6 months and already have a huge shopping list) and I can highly recommend ZCI barrels!!

Next steps, install the deans connectors then upgrade the hop unit itself once I've found a mag well with the little tube bit on the top that SRC's don't have.

Phil

PS I know I should have taken a couple of photos, especially if I could have got my camera settings sorted to focus down the barrel to see the polish level inside it, massively better than I was expecting.

• Supporters

Is that true? Don't want to shell out almost £50 on the madbull really.

Yep its true madbull barrels are no better than most stock barrels.

Their coated ones are average and their stainless ones are just awful.

Pdi best if got money but ZCI not bad if on a budget.

Shine a laser down the inner barrel and you can see the difference.

Use a bore gauge and you can see it even more.

I am looking for some cylindrical slip guages to borrow to test how true for straightness they are but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

I obviously don't have a huge amount of experience on this but I can vouch for the ZCI making a huge difference :)

I've got zci barrels in my m4's & g36c, due to slightly thicker walls & being stainless steel, there's very little deflection & when pulling a dry cloth through the barrel compared to brass & alluminium barrels after cleaning, it feels smoother

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.