Buying an AEG.

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I'm looking to buy an AEG. preferably a cm16 m4 type gun, with rails. I have no clue where I am meant to look, all I know is that I would spend up to 200 pound on a gun, meaning 200 pound is how much I can spend, of course, I can go a bit over. If anyone could help me out, much appreciated. Thanks

Yeah, just need to get a link to a gun, I have no clue what is good lol.

• Supporters

G&G SR-? range is getting good reviews

revamped CM receiver with a 3rnd burst mosfet in there

(still polymer receiver but without the vivid CM logo)

a lot of places have sold out due to popularity and the new range being launched

(think this was the 2nd shipment most places got in at Z1 LWA etc.... - these normally get the first batches of G&G's)

but a lot of places have also sold out it seems eg: airsoftworld.net and others.

I'd maybe get skirmishing and hire until you get ukara'd if you are 18+

yes you can get a 2-tone but that to me is ok on a budget CM Raider say

but if you are buying a nicer looking gun it would be wise to get it as a RIF once you are ukara'd

than try to mess about removing 2-tone etc.....

by then they will be in stock and be a lovely starter RIF to run with

Right cool, thanks fr the great help, has been useful. So the gun I recommended was quite good ? And reliable ? Aha. The thing is, if I can I'd like to buy a high quality gun at 200 pound ish, (reliable, accurate etc) no problem if you don't know aha. Also, what are the things you look for in a gun, metal gearbox over plastic one etc. thanks once again!

• Supporters

Right cool, thanks fr the great help, has been useful. So the gun I recommended was quite good ? And reliable ? Aha. The thing is, if I can I'd like to buy a high quality gun at 200 pound ish, (reliable, accurate etc) no problem if you don't know aha. Also, what are the things you look for in a gun, metal gearbox over plastic one etc. thanks once again!

You wont get a high quality gun for £200 thats a whole different ball game.

The G&G you linked will be ok though for an entry level gun. Full metal gearbox is a must. If you stick to the big names then you will be ok. If you want a high quality gun double you budget and double it again for upgrades and accessories.

G&G & ICS are generally considered the best entry level manufacturers.

A retailer called Firesupport has by far the best collection of ICS available, Zero One are better for G&G.

Personally I rate ICS over G&G due to slightly better internals, but there's little in it. G&G has a larger range of M4 and more 'real-steel' equivalence, so generally more popular than ICS.

Spending over £200 on a gun is probably best left until you've played airsoft for awhile, then you'll have a feel for what kinda one (M4, G36 etc) and style (CQB, woodland etc) you prefer.

• Supporters

G&G & ICS are generally considered the best entry level manufacturers.

A retailer called Firesupport has by far the best collection of ICS available, Zero One are better for G&G.

Personally I rate ICS over G&G due to slightly better internals, but there's little in it. G&G has a larger range of M4 and more 'real-steel' equivalence, so generally more popular than ICS.

Spending over £200 on a gun is probably best left until you've played airsoft for awhile, then you'll have a feel for what kinda one (M4, G36 etc) and style (CQB, woodland etc) you prefer.

I would say G&G ang JG are the probably the best entry level manufacturers. You can get ICS guns in the £150 to £200 but thats either the two tone m4 or older models that shops are selling at lower prices to get shot of. All the new ICS guns are generally £300+ and they dont seem to bringing out new entry level models. G&G support the lower end much better.

As for not spending more than £200 thats personal choice, I didnt buy a cheap one to start and dont think I would if I was in that position again. I think most main models of aeg can be used for cqb or woodland.

Ok cool. Cheers, looks like I will buy a 200 pound gun. M4 style. Anyone got a good link to a gun probably from zero one. But could anyone give me a link to a gun which is reasonably good with a metal gearbox

• Supporters

Thanks for the links, that first link, is that a gun that is reliable, and good? Seems as if I'll probably buy that one, so, that one seems good !

• Supporters

Really really daft and very very silly questions.....

Are you 18+

Do you have defense/ukara or at very very least know somebody that can "gift" you RIF

No offense but sounds a tiny bit like you don't know your ar$e from ya elbow on airsoft

(don't take offense - I still get confused but I blame that on dementia - damn it what was I saying ????)

what are the things you look for in a gun, metal gearbox over plastic one etc. thanks once again!

Value for money but not complete crap

usually 2 letters G and G

(cue the TriggerHappy jibes)

If you are starting out many say a decent-ish starter gun can be had for around £150 give or take £25

Carbine ain't worth getting over a Raider imho as Raider has rails for £6 more

ICS are good but their lower end stuff isn't as diverse as G&G's

In fact though higher end £250+ G&G's are thought to be better - I personally rather upgrade a G&G CM or buy a higher end M4

DO NOT BUY A GUN FROM ANY SITE WITH BB IN ITS NAME

£100 or less guns are $hite and many have wasted time n money trying to scrimp too low

grab a £80 gun from JBBG and will learn the hard way how $hit it is

(plus they lie/not truely honest in their descriptions too - plastic gearbox/receiver - my feathery ar$e)

FANTASTIC = bollox

QUALITY = $hite

FULL METAL - plastic and brittle plastic at that

I could go on but think you are getting the idea

and no I don't run with high end stuff at all but still cheapo stuff - but better cheapo stuff

most of the time it is the player not gun that wins games - but doesn't mean a jbbg gun

(I might be magic but I ain't a f*ckin' magician)

a good decent starter like what we have said will do ya proud

Very reliable and shoots well. Will work for woodland and cqb, looks nice as well.

Ticks every box and you wont get better for £200.

Edit; Forgot to add the most important part which is its not a G&G combat machine.

yeah, those guns seem good! Thanks very much, don't worry about not being an m4. It looks cool, and seems as if it has rails.

Also, sitting duck, thank you very much, I do agree, I know nothing, but thanks for clearing stuff up!

• Supporters

ICS are good but their lower end stuff isn't as diverse as G&G's

In fact though higher end £250+ G&G's are thought to be better - I personally rather upgrade a G&G CM or buy a higher end M4

Couple of things

At the cheap end £150ish G&G is definitely better than ICS which is why I linked a couple. Other than that though G&Gs are not very good.

Dont know who says at the £250+ mark G&Gs are better but they are delusional. Yes they can come with mosfets and ecu's but they are all substandard ones, spend £10 to £35 and you will get better electronics. Ics new range is far superior in build quality and materials and their older stuff while not quite as good still has better motors, better gears, equally as good piston, cylinder and hop units. The only really bad thing on the Ics is the hop rubber isnt the best but for £5 you can get a TM or lonex bucking which is better than what comes in both makes of guns.

I am saying this not as an airsofter but as someone who has over 20 years engineering experience.

Yes I am not a big fan of G&Gs but that is because of the fanboyism that follows them. Good cheap first guns but after that there are so many brands that are better for same or less money.

TM, Realsword, Krytac, Ics, even some classic army and G&P guns and probably and few more that I have never taken apart.

I think G&G do good cheap guns so people buy the brand get some loyalty and carry on buying their brand as they start spending more.

• Supporters

you haven't said how old or if you got ukara etc.....

if you have to start off with a 2-tone then Raider @ £123 is worth considering

like I said you could get a higher end one in 2-tone and ahem customise or whatever

but if 18+ and can get ukara then either hire or wait for ukara to obtain RIF

A 2-tone Raider is one of the best/popular starter guns - remember to add in charger/battery/eyepro/bb's etc....th

at £200 should just cover it all with say 2 x batteries charger n all the rest

hiring could be best to test water but a few hires @ say £25 you could put that towards a starter

obtain ukara if possible - flogg raider, you won't lose £75 on it or keep as spare

there is no gospel of what n what not to do

(well yeah avoid bb named sites)

it is up to you but please read up a bit, the guides offer great advice - wish I found this place before I got mugged by JambWow

but hey ho - live n learn, just try not to make same mistakes as I & a few others have done

• Supporters

Couple of things

At the cheap end £150ish G&G is definitely better than ICS which is why I linked a couple. Other than that though G&Gs are not very good.

Dont know who says at the £250+ mark G&Gs are better but they are delusional. Yes they can come with mosfets and ecu's but they are all substandard ones, spend £10 to £35 and you will get better electronics. Ics new range is far superior in build quality and materials and their older stuff while not quite as good still has better motors, better gears, equally as good piston, cylinder and hop units. The only really bad thing on the Ics is the hop rubber isnt the best but for £5 you can get a TM or lonex bucking which is better than what comes in both makes of guns.

I am saying this not as an airsofter but as someone who has over 20 years engineering experience.

Yes I am not a big fan of G&Gs but that is because of the fanboyism that follows them. Good cheap first guns but after that there are so many brands that are better for same or less money.

TM, Realsword, Krytac, Ics, even some classic army and G&P guns and probably and few more that I have never taken apart.

I think G&G do good cheap guns so people buy the brand get some loyalty and carry on buying their brand as they go up.

I like the starter guns to mess about with

I know a couple on here have the higher end ones but a fair amount of these have blowback on and they love them

Personally I don't care for the blowback gimmick and some reports of the PBB boxes tend to fail or crack if pushed

(the more stuff to go wrong n stuff plus the higher price is what puts me off the higher end G&G PBB boxes)

The CM's & most are non blowback are what I like to mess around with

(yes there are some PBB CM's about so be careful what you buy)

In the past their mosfet's had a bad rep but the newer seems better

(well couldn't get any worse than some bad batches)

The CM's are as common as muck as other players may refer to them

- or very popular if you are a G&G CM owner - the Fords of Airsoft but good decent starter guns

IMHO only - much better than SRC and think the polymer receivers are better than ICS Sportsline guns

plus G&G M4's offer you plenty of choice it is hard to pick just one - damn it (story of my life)

They not perfect - I'll criticise various bits n bobs but they are a nice gun to work on

yes motors are a little less oomph that maybe ICS, the bronzey bushings wear a bit too quick

but overall they are very well built for the price

Higher end stuff I can't see myself buying one new

doubt if I really spend £300 for a gun off the shelf for a while

tbh but that is just my take - plenty of people will buy TM Krytac WE or G&G TopTech etc....

I have mainly stuck to a £150 budget for any gun I've bought so far

to me its a toy gun and I feel need to improve a bit to be worthy of a more expensive gun

atm I can still blame "well c'mon its a starter gun" for my crappy skill or rather lack of it

• Supporters

Agree about the polymer being better but the metals is a totally different story.

With my job you get to be able to spot bad metals an alloys as easy as most people would spot mouldy bread. Most Aeg's use pot metal receivers and external parts which if fair enough to keep the price down but the internals should use decent materials.

G&G's internals set my spidey sense going in the same way as really bad chinese guns they are just not good enough.

G&G need to forget about the gimmicks and just improve internal quality. I would rather have a gearbox that will fire fifty thousand rounds than a £3 mosfet.

As for ebb its pathetic on any gun, PTS ERG and TM recoil work but ebb is a joke.

• Moderators

Thats one im looking at, but feel i need to actually pop to FFZ and handle their goods first!....

Thats one im looking at, but feel i need to actually pop to FFZ and handle their goods first!....

yeah, changed my mind now... But good luck!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.