Blackpool lass newbie. Eyewear for glasses wearer?

Ondine

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I am a total airsoft newbie.

I am hoping to go to Bravo 22 next week and am wondering about eye protection for a glasses wearer.

I am wanting to buy some rather than relying on hired goggles.

Obviously I will have to get goggles rather than glasses type. I have worn safety goggles numerous times over the years for different things and have always found them very uncomfortable.

I was hoping there might be some recommendations for some comfortable eyewear that also looks fairly good. I don't want to look like I am about to do a science project!

Thanks everyone

• Root Admin

Welcome to the forums.

This is a tough one because long-term I'd certainly encourage getting goggles that accept prescription inserts (will run in the region of £65-100 depending on the prescription and coatings etc.) than wearing glasses all the time. Something to bear in mind for the long-run if that ever happens.

Two approaches here though: First off is full-face mesh masks which are probably the slightly more affordable option: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/black-bear-rampage-black-mesh--mask - basically any glasses are going to fit under those, and there's the added bonus of face protection too (which I'd encourage because losing teeth is never something anyone wants to do).

Secondly is bigger goggles, but the brands that make them can cost a lot. The Bolle X1000s are a good choice if a little 'science project-y', but they're a bit pricey at ~£50. However, they do have the added bonus of having a prescription lens adaptor, so in the long run they may well also work out if you ever want to get proper lenses for them so that you don't need to wear your glasses (just the goggles). Jedi_Master should be able to confirm as he owns them.

Edit

Two other things as well though: Remember to buy lower face protection and also to buy some anti-fog if you go for goggles.

• Supporters

Welcome to the forums, I can't really vouch for glasses as I don't wear them but the above suggestions look like a good shout. I do know some people just end up wearing contacts as they have major fogging issues but this is something that varies massively per person.

The good thing with the full mesh masks that always remind me of fencing masks is they aren't too expensive so it's not the end of the world if you don't get on with them. Also they mean BBs can't sneak in between your glasses/goggles and lower mesh mask which is something that has happened to me a few times - You get hit in the upper cheek or nose possibly.

I've been having a good look at different sites to find the best and I think it will have to be the Bolle. I can eventually get prescription inserts made which I'd prefer.

Unfortunately I can't wear contacts anymore as I have a very complicated prescription and contacts no longer give me good enough vision. Also laser treatment won't correct my sight either so I am stuck with specs.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Root Admin

Hopefully the prescription won't be too much. The insert itself is a tenner - getting them glazed is usually not loads of money and pretty painless if you do it online.

Here's another couple of threads where 'over glasses' goggles were discussed - the X1000s are certainly nice, but there may be other options too: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/26918-face-protection-for-those-who-wear-glasses/ and http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/26797-over-glasses-goggles/

Well I've ordered some V12s from everyone's favourite auction site for a mere £15.00

Just went to get the inserts to discover they can only go up to +/- 6. I'm a -9.5. Oh dear....

I'm going to get the insert anyway and see what my optician says as I am there next week anyway.

• Root Admin

That's a bummer. It's possible others (like the X1000s) will provide a higher correction as they're full-frame inserts unlike the V12s. Maybe ask your optician about that too and if the full-frame would make a difference when you're there?

I don't think you'll be able to fit glasses under the V12s I'm afraid - they're rather close fitting.

Fingers crossed you can get that prescription fitted though - having looked at the same pages you probably have, it appears like many retailers simply copy/pasted the blurb from the ESS website and they've phrased it in a way that they could only fullfill prescriptions themselves that was +/-6, but not that the inserts weren't capable of doing it, so there's still hope. It may be worth shooting off some e-mails to online re-glazers like Glasses Direct with a picture to see what they say too.

Well I guess I won't have my own for next Sunday. I have an old spare pair of glasses that are small framedt so I'll wear them. Hopefully thy won't t be quite as painfull under the hire ones.

I'll send out some emails and see what the places have to say.

My optician is very good and will probably come up with something. I'm optimistic that they will be able to glaze the inserts as they do some very thin lenses, but I'm sure that will will at a price premium!!

Thanks again

• Head Moderator

I have the ESS V12 with insert for prescription lens (the lenses cost £35 from Specsavers, which was more than the goggles and insert). The problem I have with them is fogging up. I also have the Bolle X1000 model that fits over your prescription glasses/sunglasses, they are good quality but cost more. However, same fogging issue with them as well. I now have a Dye i4 full face mask which fits glasses but they still steam up even though the mask thermal lens remains clear. So them moment I just wear the goggles/mask without any glasses, and being short-sighted just get closer to shoot.

• Head Moderator

Yes, but I did not notice much difference in airflow. Have yet to buy and try the Bob Heath anti-fog spray.

The v12's do have a two stage lens position dont forget, i run mine on the locked out possitiom not the locked in, and also the bunker is a bitch for fogging jedi. You could have no eye pro down there and still fog its so damn cold

• Head Moderator

I also have the ESS V12 in the fully open position but still no joy. Yes, the Bunker's temperature (and humidity) causes more issues. Even though cool I still get really hot moving around. I used a rental mask there once so did not have problem of fogging with the mesh but I still could not see through the holes properly and it is so dark down there that no real improvement with visibility.

I am a glasses wearer and I went through the same issues 1.5 years ago. I tried inserts into a set of Bolle Raiders and that was unusable due to fogging. Then I went to a pair of Desert Locusts with a fan and they were better but the glazed insert still fogged. I think it all really depends how you sweat, I sweat ridiculous amounts when hot so I tend to overpower most anti fog solutions and glazed inserts apparently makes it worse. I was also unlucky enough to have a fragment come through my mesh and tap me next to my eye on the very first game, put me off mesh for life.

I also wear glasses. I eventually gave up on clear lensed goggles as fogging was such a problem. If the goggles don't fog then your glasses do and it can take a lot of trial and error to find something that works for you. Mesh goggles are best for reducing fogging but suffer other problems. In very sunny weather you can sometimes get reflection off every hole in the mesh so you get hundreds of bright dots in front of your eyes. In wet weather rain drops tend to sit in the holes in the mesh.

I guess that fan goggles or prescription inserts may be the best solution but I hate the idea of spending that sort of money because if it doesn't work then it's a sizable chunk of cash down the drain.

I have however ended up with a really good solution by accident. As I tend to wear WW2 Australian kit for airsoft, the hat keeps the rain and sun off my goggles and I made my own mesh goggles out of some retro motorbike goggles and some steel mesh. They look great and the foam padding on the back of the goggles fits well around the legs of my glasses. Home made goggles are not recommended but I tested mine and I am happy that they are safe.

I'm a glasses wearer and first off I tried a borrowed full face mesh mask. It was ok for a while but the weather was really odd (pouring rain and really hot) so even with the mesh my specs fogged up.

I then bought a full face mask with built in fans (which I just sold on the gear for sale forum here). I used it once and it worked well. However I've now got hold of some SAWFLY tactical glasses with inserts. You can get these on ebay for not a lot. I took the inserts to Tesco optician and had a free eye test and they put the lenses in the inserts for £30. My prescription is quite high but as the inserts were plastic and quite thick they were ideal for a high script.

I'm just waiting on lower face mask now and all good to go. I find glasses easier as I can look down the barrel of my gun rather than feeling like I'm miles away from the sights trying to aim. I also got 3 lenses (yellow, tinted and clear) which was nice :)

• Moderators

interesting read and some great links!, hopefully some other newbs will review! :)

Must remember this thread though!!! :)

at moment i have mesh googles and half face mask, but glasses are only used for reading/computer work. Did find mesh though kinda obscured my vision a bit so tempted to go to goggles so i have a clearer view, then have the fogging worry, i sweat more than a kid in a sweet shop at times, so not sure!....

Tempted though to try goggles with prescription inserts, might just help my tired eyes during the games*. I guess its worth a try

*tired eyes due to work, no rest and no play.....oh an kids....Mars need to sort their slogan out!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.