Some guidance please regarding a sale

Hef Legend

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I stuck this on up Z1, on which I'm well known, with a great rep and nearly 50 transactions at 100% positive feedback, I've also sold to a fair few people on here. Anyways I'd like everyone's thoughts on the below. It's worth noting I'm asking as a means to get some advice and not to shame anyone in anyway, hence no names mentioned.

Hi All,

I recently sold an item on here, WE M4 AEG, completely stock except after market Inner barrel, bucking and G&G hop unit.

This was sold in the middle of July, fully tested and working, even sold with some notes around which mags I'd been using. Now as you can see by my feedback, I've sold a lot of things on here, some of which have been quite expensive, with years of tenure, good post count and 100% feedback you can see I do my best to provide a good service when buying and selling.

So today (7ish weeks after a sale) I receive the below message:

"hi mate, bad news. Gun was still having feeding issues, went to my local store to see about getting the hop changed.

Hop was fine if said the issue was with my mags, but he tested the gun and said it was double feeding.

Said could do with a new motor and gearbox rebuild, could possibly need new piston etc, said wouldn't know for certain unless he takes it apart which would cost me £45 + parts that could be needed. So would be looking to return the gun for a refund please mate.

Also due to apparent mismatch of parts ie, unknown gearbox, g&g hop up and j g motor, could cause further issues
"

I replied with the below:

"Hi Fella,

I have to ask, who is your local store?

The gun is internal stock so the "Also due to apparent mismatch of parts ie, unknown gearbox, g&g hop up and j g motor, could cause further issues" is literally the shop trying to pull the wool over your eyes. IE gearbox was unopened so it's all WE and stock. Only non stock part is the hop unit, bucking an barrel....which were replaced by higher quality parts.

I had the gun tested and working before I sent it to you, I advised you of the mags I'd used etc and I had no issues. I understand that problems can arise and I'll always try and be flexible. But over a month after a second hand purchase I'm not prepared to offer a full refund.

I will help diagnose the problem and if there are replacement parts which are required and I have access to them, I will be happy to provide them in the interest of being helpful. That said, having over a month (7 weeks in fact) to have the item in your possession with no complaints or issues raised is concerning to say the least.

From my own personal experience and builds, 99% of double feeding is caused by Hop bucking, nozzle, magazines. I am more than happy to send a few hop buckings, nozzle and even a piston to you. In fact I recently took a GB apart as I installed a polarstar, so I'm prepared to send you all of the spare parts at my disposal.

I urge you to seek help on here in regards to any technical problems, but if a "shop" advises you "it was double feeding. Said could do with a new motor and gearbox rebuild, could possibly need new piston etc", they'll be equally surprised.
"

I'd really appreciated some advice on this, I've never had to deal with a return as everything I sell has always been tested and well looked after. I personally believe I've offered some good alternatives, however is 7 weeks more than a reasonable time to have an item and check it for faults? I mean I personally would be using the item immediately and would of returned the item immediately.

Also I'm a bit skeptical about the shops suggestions, surely a good tech would of tested a different barrel/hop combo before throwing out the need for an entire gearbox build for what is usually associated with mags/bucking?!?

You sound like a fair and honest guy. He sounds nieve and like he is being taken for a long and expensive walk by a shop who saw him coming. 7weeks is well beyond refund timescales imo. You have already offered more help than most would.

• Supporters

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS

Distance of goods crap is something like:

quoted from here:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

Your right to cancel an order

The Distance Selling Regulations state that your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods.

This is the minimum consumers must be given and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to return your items.

As this seven-day working period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, by law the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.

Confirmation of your cancellation should be sent by email, letter or fax.

I had this $hit once in particular on ebay from some clown who contacted me 19 days later

what a w@nker he was trying it on ffs

(zero feedback - new member that you can't block now on ebay)

thought then he was trying it on to return another broken item that wasn't mine

or had a change of heart - but most likely saying it was faulty

suffice to say I no longer sell stuff on ebay

you are trying to help the guy with offer of bits n bobs but he has had his chance if this was first contact

and that store is trying it on even more than my ebay friendly buyer - who are they JBBG ffs ???

• Head Moderator

Hef, to save you the hassle of refunds, etc, why don't you just loan me you TM Scar for 2 months or so, after which I will return it back to you in hopefully a still working condition ;)

In all seriousness though your response was polite and more than reasonable, and it does sound as if the shop / buyer is not completely honest.

LOL Epic response Jedi.

I'm miffed about the Scar, so many people message me about it then can't get funds....I had someone offer me a £100 deposit...then asked if he can't buy it in 6 weeks can he have it back....I politely said I don't think he understands the purpose of a deposit :S

• Supporters

Think you should offer him your p* in compensation

or at very least send him a Satan aeg motor to cure the feed issues

seriously - it is 99% mag related and double feeding

most of this "double feeding" is not double but mis feeding

bb doesn't fully load/fire 1 bb but partially loads and then the next bb plops in there behind it

eg:

1 - 1 - 0 - 2 -1 - 1 - 0 - 2 etc....

mags and maybe hop unit - but gearbox/motor ??? - nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sad thing is, If he genuinely said he needed a motor, I'd give him one of my spare ones, But I too don't see how a motor affects double feeding :S

UPDATED MESSAGE JUST IN:

Hello Mate,

Thank you for the fast and informative reply, I did think something was off as you have fantastic feed back.

I took it to Swindon Airsoft.

Now the full story.

So brought the gun, had motor issues, felt I had sorted that.

Ordered the Mags, took it to a game day last week gun chronoed at around 274 fps.

within 20mins of play time the gun stopped feeding, whichever mag I used.

so packed it away in my kit bag.

having brought some of the mags you suggested I figured when it stopped feeding it was a hop issue typical M4.

Went to my local gun shop with the view to upgrade it they said bring the gun down, we'll take a look and see if the hop cures the problem before you leave.

Fantastic I though.

the guy quickly diagnosed that it wasn't a fault with the hop as there mags where feeding, albeit double feeding. The gun stopped after a few shots, now the motor spins with no firing action.

He couldn't tell me exactly what the fault was without taking it apart, he just pointed out the JG motor the G&G hop (which I already knew) and that the seal from the gearbox was broken and he said he suspected that it wasn't a WE gearbox.
Not sure how he could tell that from just looking up the mag well but hey.

So yes I may have brought the gun several weeks ago. however due to work and waiting for the mags and batteries to be delivered its taken time to get to a site to test/use. I went at the first opportunity I had with the mags you suggested.

Now, Monday I am off to Cheltenham to visit family So will drop the gun off at ******* airsoft, they are normally pretty good with diagnosing faults.

I appreciate the offer with spares and parts that is very good of you.

I appreciate I may have owned the rifle for 7 weeks but the fact that I've taken it to my local site to play with twice and both times I couldn't, the first was the issue with the pistol grip screw and the second the feeding issue etc.

Hope this reply gives you some information and helps.

Thank you,

I'm just worried he's going to leave me negative feedback, which is frustrating after spending ages going above and beyond to get to, and stay at 100% feedback.

• Supporters

I'm just worried he's going to leave me negative feedback, which is frustrating after spending ages going above and beyond to get to, and stay at 100% feedback.

I think sadly it will happen sooner or later, plus I've seen some really weird negative feedback reasons before. It really puts me off selling guns as all it takes is for someone to dick around with it then say "it was like that when I got it" and turn round and call you a scammer.

It could all be his fault but instead of owning up, he's taking the route of blaming you

People should expect that they don't get a warranty or anything

If your that worried about feedback how much are you willing to let the scar go for to stop me spamming your feedback.

Zero in wasnt it.

Are you genuinely interested in the Scar? lol I'm guessing you mean the TM as Dboys went like lightning :)

You sound like a fair and honest guy. He sounds nieve and like he is being taken for a long and expensive walk by a shop who saw him coming. 7weeks is well beyond refund timescales imo. You have already offered more help than most would.

I have to agree.

U are not bound under sale of goods act. But more importantly I don't think u have a moral obligation either. That said think the buyer sounds ok. I think u have both been very resonable and that u hav offered him plenty to try and resolve the issue with HIS gun as am sure we all do from time to time. I think what has happened is he has bought a gun that is far to advanced for him. He hasn't learnt the correct way to care/use it and he has f*cked something on it. I have seen this a lot! Wish that new players would start with a good mid range aeg.

Also when u buy a SECOND HAND gun u must except that there is a risk. It won't come with a warrenty. This is why u are getting it at a cheeper rate.

My advice; tell him u are willing to help as a fellow airsofter but if he pushes it or asks for money tell him to ........ Off.

Well if that happens, I hope I can get a mod to remove it as unjust

Send all messages to a mod asap if u are worried and inform them off ur worries regarding ur record. That way u will be ahead of the game should somthin happen.

To be honest, the buyer sounds a bit childish. I've bought guns and had them turn a bit crap after a while. Danger of second hand guns. End of. And the fact that you have been so helpful is a credit to you, i got none even though i just wanted advice.

Give him an ultimatum of 'do this and ill do this' or just to jog on. Safe to say from everyone's response that your rep is well earned and will remain un tarnished

• Supporters

UPDATED MESSAGE JUST IN:

Hello Mate,

Thank you for the fast and informative reply, I did think something was off as you have fantastic feed back.

I took it to Swindon Airsoft.

Now the full story.

Ordered the Mags, took it to a game day last week gun chronoed at around 274 fps.

within 20mins of play time the gun stopped feeding, whichever mag I used.

so packed it away in my kit bag.

having brought some of the mags you suggested I figured when it stopped feeding it was a hop issue typical M4.

Went to my local gun shop with the view to upgrade it they said bring the gun down, we'll take a look and see if the hop cures the problem before you leave.

Fantastic I though.

the guy quickly diagnosed that it wasn't a fault with the hop as there mags where feeding, albeit double feeding. The gun stopped after a few shots, now the motor spins with no firing action.

He couldn't tell me exactly what the fault was without taking it apart, he just pointed out the JG motor the G&G hop (which I already knew) and that the seal from the gearbox was broken and he said he suspected that it wasn't a WE gearbox.

Not sure how he could tell that from just looking up the mag well but hey.

So yes I may have brought the gun several weeks ago. however due to work and waiting for the mags and batteries to be delivered its taken time to get to a site to test/use. I went at the first opportunity I had with the mags you suggested.

Now, Monday I am off to Cheltenham to visit family So will drop the gun off at ******* airsoft, they are normally pretty good with diagnosing faults.

I appreciate the offer with spares and parts that is very good of you.

I appreciate I may have owned the rifle for 7 weeks but the fact that I've taken it to my local site to play with twice and both times I couldn't, the first was the issue with the pistol grip screw and the second the feeding issue etc.

Hope this reply gives you some information and helps.

Thank you,

Just reading the bit about "motor issues"

How did he cure it??

Sounds like he has *maybe* swapped or played with the motor etc, might have even had the gun in bits.

Guns don't work for 5mins then take the day off. Sounds dodgy

• Supporters

pulling the reply to pieces:

within 20mins of play time the gun stopped feeding.....

So it was feeding/working when he received it

So now the motor spins but no firing action - hmmm gears mashed up or likely piston's pick up tooth snapped off

but this happened AT THE SHOP or with the TECH GUY "testing it"

OK - it might have not liked some mags - but that isn't uncommon

it did feed with other mags he bought from your recommendation - 20 mins maybe is a bit weird & short lived ????

but did feed it clearly states in black n white

Secondly the gun was still cycling at the shop but then stopped a few shots later ???

I'm wondering was the guy going nutz on 11.1v 35c lipo with a higher speed motor or something

Gun went tits up - but was working at first......

Furthermore the motor problem height:

&

the first was the issue with the pistol grip screw

OK a minor tweak on motor height maybe perhaps from transit - but it is all starting to add up to there is more to this than he the buyer is letting on imho

Have read this over at Zero In Forum and they are all singing from the same page too

7 weeks wait and it don't sound 101% correct

2 lots of forums saying the same stuff - gotta love this quote from Z1 tackle though:

Utter horseshit from the buyer, reckon its:
1. The "tech" is a ripoffmerchant.
Or
2. The buyer has fucked it & wants an easy way out.
Or
3. He's skint, & thinks this is quickest way to get some cash, as he shouldn't have spent it in the first place.
Or
4. It's just gone wrong, as sometimes happens, the tech is trying to up his potential bill & the buyer can't accept that stuff sometimes breaks in use......its life ffs.

DONT REFUND.

Yes you could tell him where to go, or maybe offer a few spares n stuff you might have to hand

but first off the buyer needs to be a little more honest perhaps

or accept too much time may have passed and therefore $hit happens with anything second hand

hope you get it resolved reasonably ok without the stone cold harshness of F*CK OFF

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.